Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
I am looking at the Wetsounds free air sub and I just want to make sure that I understand how it operates for installation. My understanding that an enclosure is not needed for this type of sub. Ideally I would like to mount this sub under my back seat because I could make it fit without an enclosure. Will this work, or am I wrong?

Thanks
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
It does not need an enclosure just some sort of baffle board and space. Define "under" your back seat.
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-07-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
My rear seat is a bench with air space beneath it. What I would want to do is secure a board to mount the speaker facing up into the seat with the back of the speaker toward the floor of the boat.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
That wouldn't work on a couple levels. You would completely muffle the sub and it wouldn't allow for an excursion. Can you put it under the drivers helm? They make for great spaces for these applications.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-07-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
Karl,
ALL woofers must have an enclosure in some form or another including an 'Infinte Baffle'.
An 'Infinite Baffle' denotes a woofer requiring a very large enclosure with a very compliant air mass. In the case of a 10-inch IB you would need two cu.ft. or larger to infinity for optimum performance versus the typical small and compact enclosure used for 'acoustic suspension' woofers. An IB woofer is self-sufficient and well internally damped while an AS woofer is highly dependent on the air spring and damping of a much smaller enclosure.
ALL woofers require controlled front to rear acoustic isolation, thus the need for an enclosure by some description.
Its very important that the woofer radiation flows away from the speaker without reduction or obstruction.

David
Earmark Marine
Old    mojo            09-07-2011, 9:56 PM Reply   
dave, when are you going to write a book?
Old     (kgarr1986)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
Gotcha,

Thanks for the info