Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (calibrina)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-29-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
I have old fuel that has been sitting in my 03 Centurian Eclispe from 2009 and need some help/advice on how best to remove so I can replace with new fuel. please advise I have a place to dump my old fuel just don't have any help on how to get it out, I'm new so try to give me the most simple instructions. I was told by the company that did my oil change that I will blow up my engine if I try to use the same fuel even using a fuel additive so obviously I will not do that
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
I'd just siphon it out and add some stabil to the removed gas. Mix a couple of gallons into the tank in your truck burn it. When you are done burning all that old gas you can change out your truck fuel filter. It will be a hell of a lot cheaper that trying to legally dispose of your gas in California. I have been doing this exact thing for years in my Chevy Tahoe. At $4 a gallon - gas is way too pricey to just waste. To be safe - mix 2 gallons of bad gas for every 10 gallons of good gas.

You are not going to blow up your engine. Don't take engine advice from the guys at jiffy lube!
Old     (HighVoltage)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-29-2011, 12:02 PM Reply   
I recently had to clean out my fuel tank and there was not a good safe way to pump it out (electrical sparks from a motor) or siphon, so I had to painfully hand pump it out through the fuel line (fuel pump pickup).

I'm in CA and the local hazardous waste site would take it, but only in approved fuel cans. So 5x$10 fuel cans later I was able to get rid of it.

This gas was so bad and mixed with other "stuff" I would not throw it in my truck either. It was painful to see $96 in gas plus containers disappear, but that's one of the downsides to fuel. Use it or lose it.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-29-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
I've burned gas over 2 years old before. It doesn't atomize well, mostly noticeable with a harder start but otherwise is fine. Just dillute it and you'll be fine. Throw a couple gallons in each tank full on the truck and it'll be fine. Get a transfer pump and just snake the hose down the fill on the boat until you've got most of it out. Note if gas is already stale it's too late for stabilizer to do any good. Also, if the boat is half full or less I'd just top it off and run it if we're talking 2 years old. Dilluted 50/50 you probably wouldn't even notice it.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-29-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
The Sta-Bil reference was to make sure there was not any water in the gas.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-29-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
I'd pull the line off right before the fuel pump and pressurize the tank with air. Should be out in no time, although like other I don't think you have a whole lot to worry about. How much gas is in there? top it off with high octane and run it out.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2011, 1:39 PM Reply   
I bought a Safety Siphon brand shaker hose it uses a glass marble so no sparks. Don't buy the knockoffs of this product as I have tried them (from Lowes) and they don't work. You just put the end with the marble in the tank and shake the hose. There are videos on youtube about them. http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Siphon-...4109146&sr=1-1

I bought two and hooked them together. The hose size is not a normal size you can buy at the hardware store. Works like a charm. Especially good filling too just put the gas jug on the back sun pad and route the hose to the gas nozzle. Gets almost every drop out. I use them to get gas out of the Jet Skis which have a long filler tube.

Last edited by packrat; 04-29-2011 at 1:40 PM. Reason: Add link
Old     (calibrina)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-29-2011, 2:49 PM Reply   
**quick update I only have a 1/4 of a tank of fuel last time I took the boat out was october of 2009
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       04-29-2011, 5:16 PM Reply   
For 1/4 tank I'd just fill it and not sweat it. 2 yr old gas will still burn. No biggie for that dilution.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       04-29-2011, 7:11 PM Reply   
I agree. Fill it up with 93 octane and it will likely be fine. I say 93 due to the fact that the existing 1/4 tank likely has effectively lost several octane points while sitting over the years. So, if you have 1/4 tank of gas that's equivalent to 80 octane and you throw in 3/4 of a tank of 93 you'll be more likely to end up with a full tank of close to 87 octane.

No need for fancy gadgets if you want to empty the tank all you need is about a 10 ft. piece of small diameter clear hose (Several feet more than you need to go from the bottom of your tank to the ground). Feed the entire length of hose into the boat's tank so that you just have the end poking out of the fill hole then seal your thumb over the end of the hose and start pulling hose out. When you see fuel in the hose keep pulling until the level in the clear hose is below the tank in the boat and stick the end in a suitable gas container on the ground while removing your thumb. This should start a siphon where gravity will do the work for you.

When you feed all of that hose into the tank the hose fills with gas. When you seal your thumb over the end you create a vacuum so when you start pulling the hose out the fuel stays in the hose. All it takes is to get that level in the hose below the level in the tank and gravity will take care of the rest.
Old     (calibrina)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-29-2011, 7:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
For 1/4 tank I'd just fill it and not sweat it. 2 yr old gas will still burn. No biggie for that dilution.
Yes That is what I am doing, amazing how many people like to take advantage of noobs! (repair shops) Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm going to enjoy the water this weekend & not stress over this
Old     (nailem)      Join Date: Apr 2011       04-29-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
good luck my friend, i bought a boat that had a full tank 46gal and i would say 10 gal of it were water. i tried every thing, drill pump, used a old extractor pump, squeeze ball. nothing worked but hand pumped used to suck oil out. bad part was i was only 1 gal at a time. i just put it in a barrel and will run it in the zero turn and tractor.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-29-2011, 8:10 PM Reply   
Used to work at a shop where we serviced a lot of PWC's, hand squeeze primer bulb, or shaker siphon will do the trick as already stated.

Had a guy at our shop who would ALWAYS put the nasty gas in his old jeep, dilluted like others are saying, never had a issue in the 4 years I worked there and he ran A LOT of nasty fuel through it!!