Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old    discolafinger            03-14-2006, 9:57 AM Reply   
has anyone been out yet, in the PDX area, if so where I have a new boat,would like to go out Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
ive been out twice this winter, i plan on going out this weekend if the weather behaves.

nice boat im sure we will see each other on the water quite a bit :-)
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
I haven't been out yet as the friend I used to board with moved to Redmond, Or. & my drysuit is in his boat. I bough my boat in Oct so I'm aslo itching to go. I've heard about some guys hitting the Willamete? It's all damn cold at the moment! BTW, nice boat!.........
Old    discolafinger            03-14-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
thanks about the boat, does anyone know where i can get a good deal on a drysuit new or used
Old    discolafinger            03-14-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
entrust where did you go, the willam.? or what
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Go to Hagg or Merwin lake. Legs debris from rain in the water then on the Willy. But, the water is around 42 degrees. The water is not too bad right now because there are not that many boats on the water. If you want a good deal on a dry suit, go to Active Water Sports in Beaverton. I am buying one from there and you can get a nice suit for just under 300 bucks.
Old    discolafinger            03-14-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
I just got 4 boards and gear from their store in oregon city, i was just try too save a little $
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2006, 2:16 PM Reply   
active are great people, i got my drysuit from them, i usually ride in the willamette either by downtown or charbonneau. i like 5 miles from willamette park so i do most of my riding there.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
I live up towards Merwin, but haven't been on it since the fall. I may try to get up and take a look around up there this weekend............
Old    jayp            03-14-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Nice boat.

I have been out on Lake Oswego a few times recently. We could not find a third a few other times.

The Willamette is ridable now. It is high but very ridable. Getting the boat on and off the trailer will be a bit more exciting due to the current.

Active Watersports is the place to get gear locally in the Portland area. I purchased my drysuit there. As well as everything else.

If you ever need a third...

(Message edited by jayp on March 14, 2006)
Old    septicwaters            03-14-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
WILSONVILLE!!!!!!!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-14-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
The warmest lake right now is Devils Lake in Lincoln City. You could hit up the Wilamette River as long as you watch for debris right now. We went out in December, but haven't been since then. I plan on getting out after spring break and I will probably hit up the river or D-lake or Lake Billy Chinook.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-14-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
Devils lake is warmest right now? If so, I am going. I normally go to charbonneau but the river is too crazy right now for me.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-14-2006, 11:18 PM Reply   
Devils Lake is always the warmest lake around. I grew up in Mcminnville and we would head there for early season runs. "Warm" being a relative term..............
Old    discolafinger            03-15-2006, 6:09 AM Reply   
I was thinking about Devils, but I think it might be to cold at night still, the boat only fits in the carport.
Old    discolafinger            03-15-2006, 6:11 AM Reply   
I was told a guys new boat he was going to pick up had a crack in the block.
Old     (shagman)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-15-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
We have gone out riding for the last 4-5 weekends in a row on the Willamette and have not had problems with too much debris (not saying that there isn't any) or being too cold. We use neoprene socks under the bindings and scuba diving gloves to stay warm, which work very well. We go out of Rogers landing in Newberg because the launch there doesn't have the crazy current of charbonneau, the river has a pretty mild current. the launch is only a few miles upriver from charbonneau, so if you're thinking of going there just make the extra drive and go to Newberg. If you decide to go out and would like someone to show you around then hit me up, I've got access to several drysuits and all the cold weather gear, and of course am always ready to ride.
Old    discolafinger            03-15-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
cool
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-15-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
im planning on taking the boat out on sunday, don't know if im gonna ride, i might just go for a cruise, i've yet to really drive and cruise my new boat
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-15-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Is the river narrow in the Newberg area? I have been about a mile up from Charb but that is it. It seems that the river gets narrower but that could be an illusion. What about going down river towards Oregon City?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-15-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
the river does get pretty narrow up in the charbonneau area, i never realy been past chamgpeo park so i don't know if it open up past that.

the river down in oregon city isn't bad, ive ridden down there a few times
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-15-2006, 11:15 AM Reply   
This is when I went out with Nick out of Newberg where he's talking a couple weekends ago cold but fun for sure. Hit me up this weekend if you need another man.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-15-2006, 11:56 AM Reply   
Newberg is great. When it gets crowded just head upstream from the ramp. As long as you stay downstream from where the Yamhill comes in you will be fine. Anything above that can be sketchy. Downstream from the ramp is plenty wide, just gets crowded during the summer.............
Old    orgborn            03-15-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
newberg is hands down the worst spot to wakeboard on the willamette. There is tons of snags im on my fifth prop from just last year. Stay closer to portland if you dont want to constantly be replacing props.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-15-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
dude, that is sweet! Nice pics and nice wake. My Glastron does put out that high of a wake. But, it's not a wakeboarding boat.

Were you guys really cold? It looks like that is a drysuit correct?
Old    discolafinger            03-15-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
cool pics, i have 0 hrs on my boat, need breakin time
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-15-2006, 2:52 PM Reply   
Todd yeah there were a bunch of dry suits on board. The wake was really nice, but the pics are deceiving, the wake is a 2006 Xstar, sooooo yeah, Nick riding next to the wake is 6'2'' for reference, very nice wake and that was with stock ballast and 600lbs of lead in the bow. I guess they usually run 2 more sacs in the rear lockers, but not that day. Mike from what I know Mike the guy with the Xstar hasn't had any problems riding that area and he's been out there every weekend the last month and a half, but thanks for the heads up.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-15-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old    musner            03-15-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
Nice pics; I'm dying to ride now! We go to Hagg lake on weekday afternoons and Newberg on weekends.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       03-15-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
you go to hagg? we have been going to hagg forever.. especially last year, we were out there every day. I've got the MB sports B52. Unfortunately thats not exactly the most ideal lake for wakeboarding. We head up towards portland on the willamette when we're goin just to board.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2006, 8:26 PM Reply   
T Brown, your Glastron is putting out a wake as big as the 06 X-Star with lead????????? That I would have to see...............
Old    discolafinger            03-15-2006, 8:46 PM Reply   
L.O.L.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-16-2006, 8:40 AM Reply   
It was to read "does NOT".... Do you really think I would say, with a straight face, that my Glastron puts out a better wake then an X Star or any wakeboarding boat for that matter?
Old    discolafinger            03-16-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
GREAT PICS, can't wait for sunny days
Old    orgborn            03-16-2006, 1:45 PM Reply   
how is the water in newbs right now. Any new snags or is there lots of debris. Trying to get out there this weekend
Thanks
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-16-2006, 2:27 PM Reply   
That was 2 weekends ago, there was hardly any debris, and didn't see any snags, but there's nobody but the sheriffs out, so just stick to the middle and you shouldnt have to worry at all.
Old    jayp            03-16-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
Great pics. Riding in boardshorts? In 42 degree water. That must have been invigorating.

Todd:
Above the falls, you can ride from the Tenth street boat ramp all the way past Newberg. There is a section between Tenth street and the ferry upriver from charbonneau called the narrows. Lots of rocky outcroppings. There are buoys marking the channel. And once you get through the narrows you need to stay to one side of the river. It is all marked. We go through there all the time but be careful if you have never been through that part of the river. There is a pretty detailed map of the river in this publication from the parks department. http://www.oregonstateparks.org/images/pdf/will_river_guide.pdf

Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-16-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
jayp- That would be Dan... he jumped out of the car in a shorty and threw shorts and another thermal top over it. I thought he was insane, everyone else rode with drysuits, booties, and diving gloves, i just rockedthe drysuit and it was still chilly. Made for a good laugh when he took his first fall.
Tyler
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-16-2006, 8:36 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info!!! I was traveling south from Charbonneau once, just past the ferry and all the sudden my depth gauge went from 25 feet to 6 feet, so I turned around. Scared the sh*t out of me. Thanks for the map, now I can see where the dangers are located!
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-19-2006, 2:01 AM Reply   
Tyler, I saw you guys pulled on the side of the road by the chevron in newberg last weekend I think. Gawked at the boat while at the stop light.I thought it looked like you might have got in an accident or something with the truck behind you...?
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-19-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Sam-Couldve been, I actually didnt ride with them last weekend, but what was the boat being pulled by? If its the same boat, it should be getting tugged on by a Denali XL(white). Did the boat look alright though when you saw it?
Old     (unclesam)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-19-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Yeah white denali XL. Boat looked fine. They were just pulled to the side of the road and there was a little toyota pickup behind it and they were outside the car, then the got in and pulled into the chevron station. I was supprised to see it in newberg, didnt realize people rode out of there much.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-20-2006, 7:19 AM Reply   
Newberg is a good spot, but you definitely want to know the water. We started in Newberg for a few years and then moved to Charboneau and now we pretty much stay downtown. All great spots and you definitely want to know the water in all the spots.
Old    orgborn            03-21-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
yeah newbs is really not a good place to go unless u are a local the snags are preety bad and you really got to know where it get shallow. I wouldnt make a trip to go to newberg but stick to charbonneau and up much better up there.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-22-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
Sorry to chime in so late about the dry suit but if your looking to save some money check out used suits at Next Adventure on burnside. We were gonna hit Lake river in Ridgefield last weekend, but ran out of time. Its generally a good, close spot.
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-23-2006, 9:05 AM Reply   
Is there anywhere in the Portland area where you can "rent" a lake for the day that is specific to wakeboarding?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-23-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
about an hour north of P-town you can rent Koppert Lake from Active Water Sports www.aws-online.com
Old     (nuts4water)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-23-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan I was at Lake River on Sunday. I go there quite a bit. It was a little crazy at the ramp fighting with the fishermen. What kind of boat are you usually in?
Old    septicwaters            03-23-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Koppert lake has all kinds of good rails for begginers to advance. You can bring you're own boat or they can supply you with a boat and driver, check out there rates on activeh2o.com, or call there shops! Active Water Sports-- Oregon City-503-650-5991, Beaverton-503-643-5018
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-24-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Excellent, thanks!
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-25-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
John, I have a blue and white MB 190plus check my profile. What color is your X
Old    discolafinger            03-28-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
does anyone in the pdx have any new pic's
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-28-2006, 1:37 PM Reply   
wish we were on the water today... nice out there. I think mine is ready, except for the stereo...
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-28-2006, 2:04 PM Reply   
Dude it is sweeeeet outside today! It sucks being stuck in a damn cube when I just bought a drysuit at lunch today.
Old    jayp            03-28-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
Lake Oswego Sunday. No pictures of me. All I can do is hang onto the roap and get pulled around by the boat.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (t_brown)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-28-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
how was the water with the drysuit on?