Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
Hey guys, I rolled my quad out in the Glamis dunes over the wkend and broke three ribs, bruised a few others and have a bruised lung. Not to mention all the cuts and all the bruises which make me look like a dam Smirf. So yeah I was fourth gear pined getting some and hit a witches eye and I went over the handle bars and the guad rolled on me 3 or 4 times.
Heres my question on average how long will I be out before I can wakeboard?????
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-10-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
Depends how well you handle pain? Broken/cracked ribs hurt like hell IMO. I was ready after 2-3 weeks , but the pain of falls hurt to much....I stayed off for 6-8 weeks. Even then I still had stingers.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-10-2009, 10:37 AM Reply   
Can't remember exactly from my cracked ribs, but 6 to 8 sounds about right. You should take extra precautions around infectious diseases that cause sneezing/coughing or people that are funny to be around. You probably already figured that out though. Good Luck.

Wish I had some dunes to ride.
Old     (devildog_ra)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-10-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
donovan mcnabb was only out 3 weeks so you shouldnt be out any longer!
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       11-10-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
I agree with 6-8 weeks.

Mine still seem to hurt on certain occasions though and that was a year and a half ago. Nothing terrible just tender every now and then.
Old     (bchesley)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-10-2009, 12:00 PM Reply   
8 weeks on mine because I broke the very bottom one and had nothing to stabilize it while healing. Ones in the middle heal a little faster, but the bottom one not so much. It would pop apart if I bent over at all. Hurt like a sun of gun.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-10-2009, 1:14 PM Reply   
Nothing like having broken or cracked ribs during cold & flu season! man that sucked
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-10-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
I've cracked my ribs more times than I can remember (snowboarding, mountain biking, wakeboarding). It takes 6-8 weeks, more like 8 than 6 the last couple of times. I was able to wakeboard at 4 weeks but I took it easy and didn't do anything that might cause a fall -- not worth the pain and set back.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-10-2009, 1:44 PM Reply   
I use to work in the ER the people in the most pain were rib injury people takes a long time to heal. Under each rib is a vein, artery and NERVE which is why it hurts so DAMN bad for so long good luck and DONT SNEEZE or YAWN!!!
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       11-10-2009, 2:55 PM Reply   
If you want to try getting out sooner, when I cracked mine I used a neoprene and elastic back brace. I put it around my ribs to hold them in and help with falls.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
thanks guys, yeah this sucks and i can't wait to try my new board! But it sounds like it's going to be a while beofre i get back out there.
Old     (wake2wake103)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-10-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
Yeah i broke a couple when a friend rolled his truck 6 times. Bottom line I was happy to be alive cause non of us should have been. But yeah all my roommates were freaking hilarious and It sucked. I started longboarding again with broken ribs and a broken arm in like 3 weeks though. Just dont fall.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-10-2009, 6:33 PM Reply   
Broke 2 this summer and waited 4 weeks. I took it easier though since it still hurt pretty badly. I didn't feel at all "healed" until 8 weeks minimum, and still feel rib pain from time to time.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       11-10-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
youll be in pain for 2 months solid.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-10-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
That's the problem with quads, after you fall off them they come hunting for you and run you over again, dirtbikes just lay down nicely til you can leisurely stroll back to them and ride away unscathed!
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-10-2009, 8:06 PM Reply   
yeah i'm not sure about that Scott, I've seen alot of my friends get F-ed up on there dirt bikes. I quess it's the risk of the sport.
Old     (dgs)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-10-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Gnarly dude. I tore some cartilage over the winter and I was out for about 6 weeks. Ribs are the worst thing to hurt. but definitely let them heal I wouldn't recommend riding on them. They will fuse way stronger if you stay off em!!
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       11-10-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
Cracked 3 playing ball a few years ago and it took a LONG time to heal. Back on the water in probably 8 or 9 weeks, but not right and feeling good for at least 6 months.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-11-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Jason for sure i have got equally jacked up on both, I can honestly say i have never been run over by my dirt bike though, and ran over by my old quad a few times....
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       11-11-2009, 7:52 PM Reply   
broke my rib cartilage in january, its definitely a good 8 weeks till u can ride decently. Getting out of bed in the morning, who would of though there could be so much pain? Had to get my girlfriend to roll me out of bed for a week