Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-15-2009, 4:09 PM Reply   
2000 centurion air warrior elite v-drive.

Factory 480lb ballast ( 25 gallon center ballast + full 35 gal tank of gas = 480lbs) kinda sounds like false advertisement huh? anyway...

Im looking to add some weight to this boat. I have a set of the fly high 42 X 16 X 16 (800lbs total capacity) v-drive sacs on their way. With full ballasts the boat will have 800 in the rear, 400 in the center, and nothing in the front....unless i put people up there.

Im looking to fill these tanks separately. I have a fill/empty switch for each sac. I am going to get a pump (jabsco or simer.... undecided right now) for each sac. I am NOT building a manifold. This is because if in the future I want to put a sac under the bow seats, I will put the rear bags on one pump and one switch (will lose separate filling/emptying capability). Then the front bow sac will use my left over pump and switch. I would really hate to do that though. I want to keep that storage space.

Question is to you guys out there....What have some of you done with a similar setup to mine? Am I weighting this correctly?
Old     (wakevb)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-15-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
Hey Jeff,
I have a Cyclone, so my knowledge isnt going to help you too much. You may want to swing through centurioncrew and post up...you will get some help over there for sure!
Old     (hunterw)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-15-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
I've got an 07 Elite V and I ran 1100lbs in the rear and didnt fill the factory center but about half full with a 150lb brick in the bow. You've gotta have some weight in the front of these boats. The hull is such a deep V that you dont really need a lot of weight for them. The whole full tank of fuel as ballast is a lil stretch its like advertising the cooler of beer as ballast..... You cant say that 35 gallons of water and 35 gallons of water weight the same b/c the gasoline is almost 2lbs less on the gallon than that of water and the longer you ride the less weight you've got. Sounds like you've got a good start now just mess around and move some people around and see what it takes to dial it in but don't forget you've gotta put a couple hundred in the bow or it will wash.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-15-2009, 5:25 PM Reply   
I had a 2004, 21'6" Centurion Lightning. I think that’s the same hull. the 2007 Elite V is a different hull.

My boat had three stock tanks. I think the center tank was larger than the V-drive locker tanks, at least it took longer to fill the center tank. The V-drive tanks were 180 pounds, I think the center tank was maybe 240?

I replace the V-drive tanks with Fly High 750s. For wakeboarding that was too much weight for that hull. I mostly surf, I used a lot of weight for surfing.

Anyway, I think the best wakeboard wake was with the stock three tank system and a crew of 3 to 4. You can put too much in the v-drive lockers.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
yea I have an 07 too it's the c4 hull. here's how I weight my boat might be a jumpoff point?

the 400's you have in the lockers, stock center full, fly high integrated bow bag + fat buddy in the foot area in the bow, as well as a ski locker style tube (I'd guess 3-400) in the walkway running from the front of the bow seating to the mid of the walkway suspended up by the fat buddy. The wake I think is pretty good. I would guess its about 1000 in the bow? I usually go with 3-4 people.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-16-2009, 9:48 AM Reply   
I don't have experience with this boat but from what I have heard that is way too much in the rear for wakeboarding. You are probably only going to be able to fill the rear bags to 150-200 pounds each or the wake is going to crumble.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
I don't think I worded that right lol. I was explaining how I have my boat weighted but like I said it's a different hull. I can take pix this weekend. Most people who have ridden my boat are pretty happy. *shrug*

I will take some snapshots this weekend of it.
Old     (jasonwm)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-16-2009, 3:19 PM Reply   
I agree with what Brett and Scott have said; the C4 hull needs quite a bit of weight up front in order to get a decent wake out of it.

Jeff, you're definitely going to want more weight up front for wakeboarding if you plan on filling the v-drive bags completely.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-16-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
I have 04 Lightning so should be pretty similar like Show's boat.

I have 2 550s in rear, stock center tank, and have 2 500s under bow seats that get filled up about 1/3 full each. I rarely fill the 550s all the way in rear, but will if I do not have some peep balast. When I have a few passengers on top of that balast I have to go 22MPH+ to get a clean wake, but do get a clean wake if I have everything balanced well. It is pretty sensitive to where people sit.

As for filling, I have a manual Tsunami (1200 GPH - might be 1100) and used the 1 1/8" tubing to a high flow garden Y and have 3/4" going from there to each bag. I keep the pump permanently plumbed to bags so I never have to hook and unhook pump, but I still have to throw it overboard. I have switched 750 GPHs to empty the bags. Since I keep my boat on a lift, I pretty much keep the bow balast full all the time.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-16-2009, 4:18 PM Reply   
If I were you I would put those bags you have in various places w/ various weight in them to see how the boat responds to weight. What weight makes the wake better/worse and how can you move weight to make it respond how you want. if just weight in the back makes a wake you like rock that if more in the front works rock that. Going forward you will know what bags will work/fit in what spots. The integrated bow bag + those vdrive bags you have are a great combo in my boat. w/o the other weight up front I would compensate w/ less weight in the back but getting 2 bags filled partially to about the same level is a pain for me.
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-16-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
Jeff i learned last summer too much weight in the rear for this hull is a big no no. you need 1200lbs total. i have two 400s in the rear and c shaped under bow ballast sack. The weird thing i learned about this boat, If i take four to five peeps load the ballast up. two to three has to sit on the port side of the boat to clean the wake up. It does better with more weight on the port side for some reason. if me and a buddy take it out. i just fill the port side sack and front ballast, clean wake all the time in either direction. i know it sounds funny but it works in my boat.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2009, 7:53 AM Reply   
^^^^^ Agreed, the boat likes a little more weight on port side - maybe 55 / 45 or 60 / 40. Can be 1 or 2 more peeps sitting on that side or a little more in the port side ballast bag. If you have manual plate you can assymetrically adjust it so starboard side of plate is a little lower.
Old     (jwmustangin)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-17-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
Ok, I think I got the idea. I take it everyone is talking about a wakeboarding wake. How about surfing?
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-17-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Surfing I do the port v-drive full the center 1/2 full the bow sack under the port seat all the way back and the fat buddy on the port of the bow seat. Integrated bow bag empty
Old     (curt489)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-18-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Jeff i surf with 400 port locker, intergraded bow sack as much as i can 300-400 approx., and 700 on the port seat in that little corner. The wake is not as huge as an enzo but i weight close to 200lbs and wave push's me fine.