Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    painterdrew            07-30-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
My new malibu is sprayed and ready for assembly. Here is a picture of the hull.
Old     (ccraftskierfan)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-30-2004, 4:33 PM Reply   
Awesome. Those factory pictures from Malibu where really exciting to see when we ordered our new BU. Keep posting and don't be afraid to email the factory if there are specific stages you want them to take pictures of for you.

(Message edited by ccraftskierfan on July 30, 2004)
Old    painterdrew            07-30-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
They are sure great about that. I have requested some and they said no problem. I will post when they get the deck on.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
I'm curious to see some pics of chopper gun fiberglass being applied. Ask them to take pics of that and post.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-30-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
Jon, what a lame post. Who cares. Plus, you are raining on this guys parade.

I can tell you that the "chopper gun" aspect of the boat will be the least of my worries when I go to replace my 2000 BU VLX.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-30-2004, 9:55 PM Reply   
dane,

You took my post all wrong. I seriously want to see pictures of the chopper gun application. Now if you want me to start ripping on construction of other boats, please email me privately. lol.
Old    bigj            07-31-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
Jon, I'm sure your not suggesting that your Supra is a better built boat than a Malibu. FYI, every boat has some form of chop in it, whether it is spray or mating is up to the manufacturer.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-31-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
do some research on the strength of chopped glass vs woven mat. you might be surprised.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-31-2004, 2:06 PM Reply   
Guys,
when did I say a Supra is better built than Malibu? All I want is to see some pictures!!! Don't turn my words around and put them out of context.
Old    painterdrew            07-31-2004, 2:25 PM Reply   
At the company where I work we do some haz mat containment linings. We find that we get our best results when we use a combination of chopper and hand layed woven matt. The chopper is great for filling in areas that are hard to get the matt into without trapping air. It also gives you nondirectional strength. The hand layed matt gives you great directional strength and is good for building your thickness. My understanding is that Malibu is looking at their system in a similar manner. This will be my 3rd Bu. Havent had any fiberglass problems with the other 2, dont think I will with this one either. Also there is nothing exiting about spraying chopper. It just looks like another spray gun with an additional feed comming in to it. Run a web search if your that interested and you will find fiberglass gun manu. sites that should show you what you want to see.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-01-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Andrew...you're gonna be happy w/ that new ride. I rode behind a 2005 a few weeks ago and man it had a great wake! Are you getting the 4 tank MLS?
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
qMLS is standard on the '05 VLX, and it comes with the rear tanks installed under the floor.
Old     (scott44)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-01-2004, 11:46 AM Reply   
Actually the front bow tank is an option
Old    painterdrew            08-01-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
The bow tank is an option. However in my thinking there is no way I would leave that out. The more weight up front the better. Thanks for the input. Did you get a chance to drive it? What did you think? How was the wake stock? with more weight? anything else you can remember?
Thanks
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-01-2004, 6:55 PM Reply   
Yeah...I drove it and it seemed to drive very nice. I have a direct drive and I was impressed at how it drove for a V drive. I've driven a 2003ish VLX & I thought this one seemed to drive better??? maybe it was all the extra weight up front that helped for bow rise. The throttle was super responsive....I about tipped everyone over in the boat the first time I took off! :-) The wake stock was VERY good (4 tank MLS + wedge + 5 dudes). I doubt I would add anything to the setup actually...it was very nice...but you know how that goes....if only it was wake was just a little bigger then I could land "insert trick here"..... hee hee. The owner told me that the pro malibu riders wanted another sack...like a 500 pounder in the walk way I believe. This is actually the boat that you'll be seeing in the Malibu brochures at the photo shoot at Powell.

It had the illusion tower and it was actually kinda cool. I don't recall it seeming to be in the way getting in and out of the boat...but then I was only on and off it once...and the off was via the bow. The illusion tower bimini was quite the mechanical accomplishment. Not like your normal installation..but not too difficult. And it was nice and big..and it went over the top like the mastercraft X-star bimini.

This one didn't have a built in cooler which I thought was weird...but this one may still have been a prototype so I'm not sure about yours? I believe you lost the cooler w/ the bow tank for the MLS.

The dash and steering wheel were sweet w/ the billet chromed aluminum.

hmmm...I can't think of anything else specific. You'll be happy though I'm pretty sure. Enjoy!

I also found out that I'll never have anything but PURE white upholstery! It has some really light gray strips and man...those things got so friggin hot you couldn't step on them. It was probably pushing almost a 100 deg. that day though. Be nice in the fall though! :-) They should come w/ reversible vinyl.....white for the middle of summer....dark gray/black for the fall winter! :-) Wait...I'm going to patent that idea....what's Malibu's phone number?
Old    painterdrew            08-01-2004, 7:27 PM Reply   
thank you for the feedback. just the info i was looking for
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-01-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
Anybody have any pictures floating around of an 05 VLX with the Illusion tower? I remember seeing an LSV, but I can't recall the VLX. I'd like to see this Bimini that Levi is speaking of also.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-01-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
You can read Malibu's Press Release here. It's got pictures of the boat with the Illusion
Old    painterdrew            08-06-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Here are some other pictures. Let me know what you think.

Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-06-2004, 10:58 AM Reply   
wow, she looks sweet. I really like the colors!!
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-07-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
FYI, I'm not the expert but I do know that the chopper is used by Malibu only on the outer most layer of the fibergalss to help eliminate print through in the gelcoat and to eliminate the air pockets in the tight corners. Take a factory tour and see for yourself. They've got nothing to hide at Malibu. Just whatever the R&D dept. is working on for next year.

Great color scheme, super clean looking.
Can't wait to see our first two coming in on Monday. I changed My screen saver to the new VLX, it's my motivation to keep going so I can get one in my garage for myself soon.

Congrats!!!
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
Nice color choice. I haven't really been into the looks of the new Malibus. I think it was because they all had a three-color scheme that I didn't like with the new pattern (white, black, and some other color).

The alternating two-tone though...NICE! Now I want to see an alternating red/black. Is that possible or does the top deck need to be white?
Old    painterdrew            08-07-2004, 8:52 PM Reply   
The top deck can be any color that you want. It is an upcharge over white or 2 different off whites. I thought about a red top deck but decided against it.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
I think your color pattern is perfect...best of any wake boat I've seen. The white deck is both practical and necessary for the alternating tones.

One other thing: I'd leave the graphics off if I were you. The boat just looks so classic without them.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-08-2004, 1:28 AM Reply   
I'm with Salmon on this one... This boat is classic!!
Old     (superjet)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 10:50 AM Reply   
Tacos -
It is possible..........
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-09-2004, 11:34 AM Reply   
I just noticed that the windshield has no side break. That is nice.

But, the bimini looks small. Actually, pathetic. I love a big bimini. This weekend, I was out with friends and everyone was squeezed in under my current bimini that is MUCH bigger than the one above.

So, IMO, the BU tower is still a disappointment. I would likely go with skylon of boss swoop.

(Message edited by greatdane on August 09, 2004)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 12:49 PM Reply   
yes, railess windshield.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-09-2004, 2:23 PM Reply   
This would be nice...

...though I'd probably copy Andrew first for the practicality of the white vs. the black.
Old    painterdrew            08-09-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Nice photoshop job.
I probably going to pull the illusion tower off of mine this winter and have it powdercoated red.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
With the carbon blade debuting later this year the Illusion was supposed to be available in factory matched colors.

Is that not the case?
Old    painterdrew            08-09-2004, 8:34 PM Reply   
I tried but was told no. I fact I spoke to Guy and he said its hard enough to get metcraft to keep up production in one color more would be well................ By the way i have seen a lot of pics from different angles for the blade tower. I dont realy like it myself it looks like a bat wing off the bat mobile. But hey a lot of people dont like the illusion x and I do so to each his/her own.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
i will continue to dream about a boat like that. until then I am sticking with a 2001 response.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-12-2004, 10:42 PM Reply   
That boat is beautiful.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       08-12-2004, 11:24 PM Reply   
is it just me....does anyone else look at the pics of andrews waksetter and be reminded of a 62 vette!! that boat has a look i have never seen..its like an instant classic!!Big Pimpin andrew!!...
Old    painterdrew            08-13-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
they are dealer preping it right now and i am picking it up tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (superjet)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-13-2004, 6:23 PM Reply   
Good luck trying to sleep tonight! Let's see some pics after you get it.
Old    painterdrew            08-16-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
I have my new boat. Had it out this weekend. I have not had enough time to break it in all the way. I will post again when I do. A couple of things that are instantly noticed. The rough water handling is unbelievablely smoother that my 03. Additionally the overall handling is much more responsive, especially at slow to medium speeds. The boat is a lot bigger than my 03 but it doesn't drive that way. Will keep you posted and try to get some pictures up.