Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (sarandoug)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Whats the skinny?? How does this differ from perfect pass?
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       06-27-2006, 1:44 AM Reply   
Interesting, I didn’t know there was anything except PP.

I was thinking the other night of making my own and perhaps competing with PP.

Not all PID loops are the same. Oh PID refers to Proportional, Integral and Derivative control. Basically they are the three different constants used to tune a control loop. The loop being the relationship between input (speed) and output (throttle) with respect to the set point (desired speed). So, pending the equation used and the efficiency of the program the results/precision/smoothness of the loop can change.

However, the constants can usually be tweaked enough to get all the loops to act similar. But even then, every real application is different, even with the same boat/motor. That’s why you see some guys complain about varying speeds they get with PP. With a few hours and a little bit of patience I’m sure you could tune every unit hold speed very accurately, including your EZ unit.

Hmm…maybe there is hope for some money out of this. Anyone got a bugger PP system out there? I know a Controls Engineer with a lot of free time.

Just another pipe dream I suppose.

(Message edited by derby on June 27, 2006)
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-27-2006, 4:52 AM Reply   
With the change to drive by wire MC and Malibu have introduced their own speed controls. I've heard several complaints about the performance, but I'm sure they will get it corrected. There was a company called Accu Ski (I think thats right) that went out of business a few years ago. A new company can probably make some money, the market size is pretty small.
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-27-2006, 5:20 AM Reply   
EZ Cruise is the name given to the speed control system that is standard on all EFI engines in Moomba's and Supra's. They too have have a sort of hybrid throttle by wire system.

As I understand it, the speed control is RPM based and never was/is intended to be used for heavily weighted, wakeboard applications. For recreational skiing/boarding, it's a good alternative.

I have heard some people say it won't hold speed when heavily weighted, while another group with 2000+ in a Supra 21V say it works surprisingly well, but you need to know how to drive a boat.

I've driven the MC version and it's not bad and is closer to Perfect Pass then the EZ cruise system. I believe you have to buy the upgraded motor to get this thrown in.

Heard good things about Malibu's version, but no first hand experience.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-27-2006, 6:15 AM Reply   
Our Tige has speed set, basically ECM controlled. It holds speed better than PP but gives the driver less control (you can't manually speed up when it is set). It increases and decreases speed by .5mph. It holds better around turns than PP did in our old boat. It is a pain in the butt when someone is surfing and they fall, you can't speed up unless you disengage the control, then you have to back the throttle off and then you can go. It also needs a digital speedo to be really nice.

Overall the Tige speed set works pretty well, and it's like a grand less than PP.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-27-2006, 6:23 AM Reply   
"Overall the Tige speed set works pretty well, and it's like a grand less than PP."

I'm guessing this was written incorectly? Are you saying that the tige crusie control system is only a few hundred dollar option?
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-27-2006, 7:16 AM Reply   
I don't know the exact option cost, but I think PP was like a grand more than the speedset.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-27-2006, 7:32 AM Reply   
PP only added $800 to the cost of my boat, so they most be giving that speed set away
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-27-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
I doubt that you will see $800 on a cost sheet anymore since that's just about dealer cost. Most mfgs. charge $1500 or so for the PP installed, sometimes more if it's done by the dealer.

I would guess KJ's speed set was a $500 option vs. $1500 PP.
Old    ausbill32            07-10-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
I got EZ cruise on my Supra 21v 2006. It's ok right now but I'm getting PP installed. The EZ cruise on my boat is easy to use. Just speed up to 23 or 24 set it and it'll remember the speed until you turn off the boat or turn it off.

Pro - it's great for beginners because after you set it you are good to go. Come pick the rider up and all you do is throw the lever forward and it gradually picks up speed - great for beginners bad for experienced riders because of the slow start

Cons - Since it's not rpm based you loose speed while turning or if the rider pulls hard on the line. not good for experienced riders because of the slow start. You have pretty much no control of the throttle after about 5mph.

I'm getting PP installed this week