Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
I have a 1990 Sport Nautique and I have added a tower and run about 1000lbs of ballast in it. I have a very limited budget because of a new baby and I am trying to think of what to buy next. Should I save up and install perfect pass on the boat or should I buy a new prop now. Also would a new prop make it easier to hold speed with a rider out.

Thanks for any info, Nick
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2009, 11:39 AM Reply   
PP makes it easier for everyone to drive, but if you teach people to drive off the RPM gauge vs. speed it is easier. I think a new prop can make it easier to maintain speed.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Without knowing more details I would say PP over a new prop. PP will expand your opportunities for who can drive and give you a quality pull. If you absolutely can't get on plane with the weight, well then you need the prop.

Yes - a lower pitch prop will generally make it easier to hold speed manually, but not nearly as easy as having PP.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-10-2009, 11:50 AM Reply   
Do you have a good driver?
To me, that is the most important question. Your nautique should be able to handle 1000 lbs without a whole lot of problem. Might take it longer to plane out, but its doable.

If you don't, I'd say get PP. You'll never get a decent pull if you don't have a good driver. With PP, anyone that can steer and not run you over is a potential driver. A different prop will make holding speed a lot easier on the driver if PP is not installed.

BTW props can be had for $300'ish. Some versions of PP can be had for $600-1000. If you have a $1000 budget, i'd shoot for both. But, I understand the issues with getting both "approved".
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-10-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
I had a '95 Sport Nautique that I ran 2000lbs in. It was sluggish with the original prop. Upgraded to an ACME and and it jumped out the hole and help speed a little better. If you can teach someone to drive off of RPM's upgrade the prop. I think I paid a little over 400$. If you decide to upgrade the prop talk to the guys at ACME. They will tell you what you need.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       07-10-2009, 12:03 PM Reply   
Thanks I have a good driver that normally rides but my wife can't drive and my other friend is not that good. It gets on plane ok so I think I will try and save up for perfect pass. I was thinking about what kind of return I would get also but I could always take the perfect pass off if I get the GPS model if I decide to buy a new boat. I think i may try to swing both it would be nice to have a spare just in case something happened.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-10-2009, 12:33 PM Reply   
Do they still have the RPM PP? I used the RPM mode for a long spell when my paddle wheel went out and it works, and on turns, it actually works better than the paddle wheel. If the budget is tight I would think about that. The PP will add more to the value of your boat than the prop. Hardly anyone will give you more money if you have a different prop, but PP appraises.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-10-2009, 1:05 PM Reply   
pp to save your marraige.....
Old     (showmedonttellme)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-10-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
^^^^^^Truer words have never been written.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-10-2009, 2:16 PM Reply   
I hate riding behind boats without PP. Its that good.
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-10-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
I really don't get the whole trend of teach people to drive with an rpm gauge. They are as useless as the speedo gauges at fine tuning and holding speed on a boat that doesn't want to consistently stay at that speed (most weighted boats with alternating loads from the rider, people moving in the boat, turns, rollers, etc.

IMO the best drivers can feel the boats momentum and know when to adjust the throttle accordingly. For years I pulled with a boat that had only a tach and it was tough to teach people not to rely to much on keeping the rpm's consistent as much as keeping the boat consistent.

Thread hijack off. I WISH I had PP. I can keep speed pretty consistent and my g/f is getting pretty good but when others pull me or she is tired it is frustrating.

PP was made for boat owners, not to make driving for them easier but so they could actually enjoy a good pull.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-10-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
PP all the way!
Old     (loudsubz)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-10-2009, 6:07 PM Reply   
Prop.

We have a 3 blade OJ and it keeps speed very well.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-11-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Well you see err Perfect pass is Perfect... and its worth every cent! ill never buy another boat with out it!... its that good!
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-11-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
PP is the best investment you will make in your boat.Once you use it you will punch yourself in the face for not getting it sooner.You will make your wife so happy she might even let you touch her again(LOL).really though PP is what you want.
Old    murrayair            07-11-2009, 4:46 PM Reply   
Perfect Pass gets my vote. A new prop is great, but if you're only running 1000 lbs of ballast it is not essential. PP is the #1 most useful upgrade you can add to your boat. It saves a LOT of frustration and you will love it to death. Plus, it makes teaching your friends how to drive a boat much, much easier.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
If they can hold a straight line, they can drive with perfect pass. You can usually find them used in the < 700 area.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-13-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
Both.

Take your stock prop and have it re-pitched (down 2 should work). Should be less than $100.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-13-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Say what?? Can they actually re-pitch a prop? Basic dings are more than 100 bucks to repair. Very interested if youve got any additional info though!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-14-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
^^Any prop repair shop can do it. I've been doing it for years. Cost me $70 on my nibral prop.

I'm actually picking up my pontoon boat prop today, lol. Had it re-pitched. $40.

Rule of thumb is every degree of pitch you go down , will increase ( WOT) RPM by about 200.
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-15-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
PP then run over a log
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2009, 5:52 PM Reply   
Sounds like prices are a bit higher in your area Tony. We can get a pretty major rework done for about $100. Last year we folded all four blades over several inches & it was $108. No tears or welding to be done. Dings are way less.
Old     (guitsboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-16-2009, 6:37 AM Reply   
Wow, sounds like it might be worth it to send a prop out somewhere. Sadly my motor already spins the 13x13 4 blade to 4600. I dont think Id want to go any higher. I wonder how much they'd charge to weld on some additional material to increase blade surface area to counter the reduced pitch? Anyway, good info, thanks for the knowledge.