Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-29-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
I just got my Phase 5 X from Todd, I'm a recovering fat boy (lost 150lbs) so i'm a learning surfer. I can free ride, pump around and little things like that. I take my new board on my brother inlaws boat this weekend and he gives it try. He's an ex CWB rider, 5 time INT state wakeboard champ and is to say the least pretty good on anything that takes balance. He's airing a Koal, 360 all that good stuff. He jumps on the Model X goes to slash and drives it straight to the bottom. Hops up goes to cut, and hes down again. He hands the board back to me and says "I don't know how you ride this board." What makes this board different then all the cheap boards he rides so well. (being an ex-sponsored rider he won't spend money on a new board )
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2012, 11:39 AM Reply   
The model X is basically a thick skimboard with three fins. For the riding your buddy was doing, he would want a surf shape. The Model X has pretty much a skim outline and rocker (flat). You need a surf rocker for really hard slashes. Flat rockers have a tendency to pearl easier when slashing hard.

Flat rockers are used for good down the line speed. ie, you put weight on the front foot and it goes fast. So that's why the Model X is good for beginners. It is fast down the line, and much more responsive than boards like the hyperlite broadcast.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-29-2012, 12:06 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I also have a broadcast and the only way I enjoy riding it is heelside on the starboard side, which I can't do on my X. So what is a good beginner trick list to start trying on an X? I been working on 360's but I wash out. Will this board handle 360's well?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2012, 12:10 PM Reply   
It will handle 360s just fine. Work on thsoe, but also take the time to learn good lipslides and board slides.
Lipslide is when the tail goes over the lip, and boardslide is when the nose goes over the lip. they are simple tricks that definitely add style and control.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-29-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
Got it! watched a few videos, that list should keep me busy for awhile. Now I just have to work on waking my wife up early enough to get good water. Any tips for that?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-29-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
LOL... Mitch covered it... it is not a surfboard. It is a skim board with semi-large fins. I will not comment on the rocker/flipped tip and other aspects of the shape, but in simple terms it takes a softer touch, it will not respond well to rear foot hard driving surfing.