Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-01-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Hi,

May i ask how you guys train your opp leg or whatever its called. Im a goofy rider. And been trying to get my regular up. Its really awkward and whenever i do a switch 180, it becomes the like the first time im wakeboarding(not that im very good at it now)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-01-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
Switch, fakie, opp, regular for your case, etc. you're pretty much starting all over again. And the best way to learn it is spend more time riding switch. Also if you can do surface switches (180s) do a trick or something that you wanna do switch in your goofy stance a couple times, concentrate on your body position, weight distribution, handle placement, take off, and whatever else helps you do that trick. Once you think you know what little things you need to land that trick. Take it switch and apply the little things to help you figure it out
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-01-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
I'm regular but for some reason I get much more pop when I ride goofy. I cant land goofy or even hold an edge very well but for some reason it just pops me off the wake huge. So I just decided that all my 180 tricks have to start goofy.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       09-01-2012, 3:50 PM Reply   
RAF shouldn't you be at the lake today...
Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-01-2012, 5:12 PM Reply   
Do you guys learn both at the same time or concentrate on one leg first?
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-02-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_curt View Post
RAF shouldn't you be at the lake today...
Nope I'm rolling out today for party purposes and tuesday to ride for a bit. My guess is that it will be quiet as hell after labor day weekend.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-02-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by voler View Post
I always skated regular so I started like that but last year I messed up my ankle pretty bad so I took advantage to learn goofy since I didnt want to be jumping on it just yet. It kinda sucks going back to the basics when you know you can do all kinds of tricks already.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2012, 1:29 PM Reply   
Make sure you ride switch every time you ride . Also try different tricks switch every time you ride.
Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-02-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Quote:
I always skated regular so I started like that but last year I messed up my ankle pretty bad so I took advantage to learn goofy since I didnt want to be jumping on it just yet. It kinda sucks going back to the basics when you know you can do all kinds of tricks already.
Agree. I guess i will just have to be patient and go back to basics.

Thanks guys.
Old     (Zesty)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-02-2012, 8:17 PM Reply   
Hey Raf, the same thing was happening to me (popping higher switch) and I think I figured out why. I am regular stanced and seem to favor my left foot when it comes to wakeboard weight and steering, etc. Like how some regular stance skateboarders like to push with their left foot and others are more comfortable pushing with the right. Anyway, I was letting the pop of my heel side jumps focus up through my left foot which was the front foot. When I would come in switch heelside, however, my dominant left foot would be the back foot and by popping off both feet or ollie popping off the back foot I was getting way more height. When I tried to pop with more of my back foot and leg on my my regular Heelside jumps I started getting the same good pop on that side as well. It was odd at first, awkward in the same way jumping switch is awkward at first. I am only now getting used to it but it worked for me and maybe this tip will help some others as well.

Last edited by Zesty; 09-02-2012 at 8:18 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       09-02-2012, 8:19 PM Reply   
^^that makes perfect sense.
Old     (voler)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-02-2012, 9:05 PM Reply   
I read on some "which foot are you" guides. Ive tested it all. And im actually a right footed(regular) but when i skate or wakeboard. I hate the feeling of it. Thats why i ended up goofy.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       09-02-2012, 9:07 PM Reply   
Some people have an easier time than others. I'm pretty neutral. I can do almost everything switch that I can do regular. Grabbed 180s, switch toe 3, switch heel 3, half cab roll (about half the time), etc. My buddy who is a really good rider with all of the basic inverts dialed has a really hard time with anything switch. His switch heel 180's (half cabs) are ugly as hell, where as mine look better and more tweaked than my regular ones. But I also spend my time on the water almost 50/50 between regular and switch. U have to put the time in riding switch, but it will pay off in alot of ways. Helps with blind landings alot.