Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-27-2008, 5:11 PM Reply   
Word is that Rusty is almost done with his new board and you'll be able to get your hands on one by this summer. I believe it's going to be called the Marek, which is his son's name. It will come in three sizes, with the biggest being 146. I'm assuming that's the one that Rusty will be riding. Hopefully we can pry some pics out of Hyperlite's hands before too much longer.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-27-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
146? that is a huuuuugggge board.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-27-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
Actually, that's the mid width!
Old     (cwb_fooguitarlz)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-27-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
Dave, get back to looking through those Randall jokes!!!
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-27-2008, 6:43 PM Reply   
146 isn't really that big a board. I think most people have a misconception of what they should be on and board companies cater to that misconception. Bigger is generally better. That's what she said. No really, think about it, would you rather fly through the air and land on something larger or smaller? Murray has a 145, back in the day Jeff Heer had a 147. I think you will see boards getting bigger over the next few years.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-27-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
i think 147 is the biggest i have heard of ever.

i'll be looking forward to seeing it too. i love new stuff!
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-27-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
i like the idea of landing on a big board but i had the parks 144 and it just felt like a tank sometimes. was a cadillac tho lol.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-27-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
If I am not mistaken G. Nunn rides a 142.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-27-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
I think that Joyride made a 150 or something crazy once.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-28-2008, 9:20 AM Reply   
I think it's about time that they start making bigger boards. Not everyone that rides is 5' nothing and 175lbs. I'm 6',215lbs and the same build as Rusty so I welcome the bigger sizes for the big guys.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-28-2008, 9:32 AM Reply   
i agree they need to make bigger boards for bigger riders, but personally, i enjoy stuff a little smaller than whats recommended.
Old     (bouvs)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-28-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
Chad Sharpe isn't a very big dude, and he is riding a 143. Just goes to prove the point Travis is making
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-28-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
IMO, one should ride the biggest board they are strong enough to manhandle. I believe it takes more leverage and muscle on a larger board to generate the same load one could on a smaller board. However the larger board will have more pop and softer landings. You notice how much upper body stregnth these guys have?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-28-2008, 10:10 AM Reply   
Now that boards are getting lighter with whatever technology boards can be bigger.

My 142 Slingshot or the new monarch weight nothing, you could make those boards up to like 170 and it would weight what a 139 3DS did a few years ago... I personally am loving it, bigger board = bigger surface area = bigger pop
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-28-2008, 3:26 PM Reply   
I found i liked the larger size of the slingshot recoil too (142). As said, the reduction in weight makes it feel that the board really is not that large. It proved to give better pop and softer landings too, jast as has been said as well.

Any word on if Rustys is gona be PVC or some extra light construction style? I am assuming it will be
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
heh travis, definitely have been some big boards in the early days, jeff heres 147 and a big fulltilt 147 circuit that horrell rode but hard to compare them to modern boards in terms of surface area. older boards were longer, but narrower. the trend then shifter to shorter, fatter boards. not saying a 146 board in current dimensions is too big, just noting the differences between them...

//lee
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-28-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
I realize that. But the sport as a whole has changed a lot. Bigger wakes, different shaped wakes, longer lines, faster speeds, etc.

Like Dave said, not everyone is miniature like half the pro tour. If guys that are 5'4", 145 are riding 135-139 what should someone who it 6 foot and 2 bills ride? The industry has left a lot of guys looking for something bigger and thankfully now there are a couple of really good options.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
im a pretty big guy and i rode the parks 144 and it was a tank. so if they can figure out how to make a big board not feel like that... im definately down. i ride a 142 and it feels a lot better
Old     (chrishopf)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-28-2008, 6:55 PM Reply   
Whatever Rusty's board is made of....I know that thing is gonna be strong as heck!! The way he charges...I can see him going through 3 to 4 boards a week !
Old     (kel_dub)      Join Date: Feb 2006       02-28-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Billy is a liar, he's more like a 90lb. ballerina.
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
not to argue, just to discuss...

I'm 6'3" and have a hard time riding anything over 140.

When I was younger (and Lighter) I rode a 135 and loved it. But then again, I did fall a lot......

For me the longer the board the wider your stance needs to be. I don't look at it as how much nose is in front of me, I look at it as how close my back foot is to the tail. The closer the more surfy it feels. I never felt right having an extra wide stance so I tend to like smaller boards.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-28-2008, 9:09 PM Reply   
yea and kellen makes bam margeras dad look little
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-29-2008, 5:00 AM Reply   
Billy,

No offense to my boy Parks, but that board was a TURD...in any size! I used to cringe when people showed up at the camp riding that thing.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-29-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Ryan - Did you ride a Squirt back in the day? Those were short boards. I tend to like a smaller board as well, but I did not I don't go out the front as much going to a little bit bigger board. I'm 6' 170 lbs. and I rode a 135 from 2001 to 2005 but then switched to a 139.

I'm on a Transcend 138 now but would probably be fine on the 142 as well. We are only talk about 4 CENTImeters here.
Old    sealyon.net            02-29-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
I'v asked my hype rep about the new board and didn't get even a hint of what it or the boots will look like.He said he didn't even know at the time.
Can't wait to see it.
Old     (rkg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-29-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Just curious what makes it a "Turd"? I used to ride a Premiere (2005 I think, before the jib rails) and switched over to the Parks. Mainly I liked the center channel and softer landing. I like hearing other views on this stuff, so just curious why you see it so poorly. My main complaint with it would be the weight.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-29-2008, 8:44 AM Reply   
Travis,

I can't believe someone on the inside finally stepped up and said it like it is!!

Almost everyone that you see riding the Parks was a beginner and they got screwed by some shop kid saying it is the best because Parks is the best.

Not taking anything away from Parks, he rips!

Obviously it worked for him, but not for most weekend warriors.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-29-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   

quote:

Almost everyone that you see riding the Parks was a beginner and they got screwed by some shop kid saying it is the best because Parks is the best.

I don't mean to get all defensive since I'm a pro shop guy, but I'd blame the consumer more than I would the pro shop worker. If you get some kid rollin through the shop who needs a new board and he knows that his favorite rider goes eXtreme on his own pro model deck, then it's gonna be kind of difficult to convince him to go with any other deck. And about that kid not having the ability to actually ride the deck? That's a tough road to go down. As far as the Parks board's popularity is concerned, anyone remember how many "Parks vs _______ board" threads there were back in that day? There was definitely an interest in that board and I wouldn't say that pro shop workers had a whole heck of a lot to do with it.

I've already had a bunch of people come through my shop looking to buy or get info about "the new Parks board." I'm sure part of that is because it's a brand new board, but people's ears still tend to perk up when I mention a certain pro's name.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-29-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
When I got my Ibex I loved it. that board was really great
Old     (protag)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-29-2008, 10:19 AM Reply   
Well, I feel I have to stand up for that board. I actually really liked it. Got it in '02 ('03 model) coming from a Trip. The difference was huge. The Trip was okay, but far from spectacular. But the Parks had amazing pop in comparison. I was a beginner back then, but the board really improved my riding. Sure, it had significant downsides (the weight, which back then didn't matter so much to me; it was very unforgiving, but I got used to that), but all in all, I think it was definitely a good board and that a lot of the bitching about it, partly comes from the fact that it is "Parks Pro Model". I might be wrong, but that's my take on it.
Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-29-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Scott A,

Didn't mean to offend you I wasn't saying all shops run that way and I am sure yours doesn't, but you have to admit that there are shops that push the latest Buzz products because it's an easy sale, and that's really why some of them are in the busine$$. I do agree that some of the responsibility is with the person buying the board!

Demo, Demo, Demo

Protagoras,

I'm not really knocking the board. Like I said, it worked well for him, and I have seen others rip on it also. I was referring more to the beginner/weekend warriors that bought it just because of the name. It's just a board that only works for a very small set of people, but do to the Hype it sold a ton.

The opposite happened to another well known rider back in the day. Shapiro's boards were always built for him and his style of riding, but he never got the Hype/Love that Parks has received. Very few people could ride his early boards and get out of it what he did. But not much was said about it because they weren't very popular boards. Later, when he was working on the Demented, he decided to make a board that was more user friendly and the Demented was born. That board sold very well and was ride able by all skill levels.

If I remember correctly, I think Parks commented in his Ibex interview, that he wanted to make a more user friendly board.

Anyway, ride what works for you and have fun
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-29-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
this thread is funny. See what ya started Travis...lol. I keep checking this thread not to see the debate on board size and some info about an old board.....I want to see pics of Rusty's new board. Is it going to be 3 stage, a hybrid, or abrupt continous etc. etc. I always dig seeing new product first. thanks Dave on the heads up that Rusty is getting a new board...the Marek. Very cool. I have been real keen on the new clean graphics that the companies have been putting out this year. So it will be cool once Rusty's board gets posted up here.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-29-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
What do you guys want to know about Rusty's new board? I'll see if I can find out.
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-29-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
Hull design re: landings.

Molded in fins v. bolt on.

Rocker shape.

Any flex....

Sub v tech?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-29-2008, 12:41 PM Reply   
as scott questioned

Rocker type?
Construction?
Width?
Length(s)?
Name, for sure, no "i think" ?
Fin configuration?
Belly features for soft landings?
Any flex features?
graphic?

bindings?
Old     (hyule)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-29-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Yeah, bindings. Will Rusty get signature boots?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-29-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
i bet he will get something like murray or byerly, with the "spring" sole if he does.
yes?
springs in a sig boot if he gets one, like murray's?
Old    sealyon.net            02-29-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
Johan That's pretty funny (hull design) LOL he's big enough to have a beam size and gun wall size.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-29-2008, 2:34 PM Reply   
What are the rest of the sizes of the board that will be available?

I ride the Era 147 (2005 model) now and would love to have something as long (or longer) and a bit wider, since the Era is relatively narrow in comparison to other boards.

Hey Travis - I'm 6'5" and about 230lbs - would it be silly to ride an even bigger board is one was available?
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-01-2008, 5:05 AM Reply   
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn a Rusty board thread into a battle over a board that's not made anymore and shop employess. I will start by saying that I have seen beginner riders that actually rode that board well. But, honestly, it would be one or two out of every 50. 3 or 4 years ago it seemed like 75% of people that came to the camp were on a Parks, and most of the people we get are either beginners or just starting to figure things out. For that category of rider, the Parks board was not doing any favors. The huge 3 stage makes it really hard for people to learn a consistent edge, and it would boot them off the wake like no other. That's fine if you are an experienced rider, but for someone learning, that's not always the best answer. And, the landings on that thing for most people could be pretty rough. Not to mention that the factory would send that thing out with four 1.1 or even 1.3 fins on it. That makes learning surface spins a treat! And, had most people relying on a lot of fin for edge control instead of learning to use their rails. Long story short, in most scenarios, the second we would put people on something else they would instantly like it better, and be doing things smoother and with less effort. For me, a good board is somethng that you could put anything from a beginner to a pro level rider on, and they could make the most of it. I may have a little different view on things because I sit in a boat 8 hours a day trying to help people progress. I try to adopt anything that will help in the process. But, if you have a board that you like than that is a great board, no matter what it is.

As for the shop employees, I know it must be tough trying to direct someone coming in with the idea of what board they want. I can see that. But, I do also think that a lot of shops have younger kids working in them that push a certain board because it is "so sick", without much thought of how that person is going to ride it.

David, I think you could ride something that was bigger for sure. Like you said, the Era has the length, but is lacking a bit of the width. But, for what is available that is a great option.

Back to the topic at hand. I really don't know anything about Rusty's new board. I'll put in a call.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-01-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
He's still riding the Pulse and Atlas combo right now right? I was surprised when a few people said that he was just going to stick with that instead of developing his own. I wonder if he'll stick with a continuous rocker or go 3 stage with it?
Old     (prem1er)      Join Date: Jun 2007       03-01-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
Yeah I'd be really interested in if he is getting a pair of sig boots. Since Rusty and I are very close in size he is one of my favorite riders, as he is with probably most big guys out there.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-01-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
I love how everyone barked at me when I said I didn't think the pulse was his pro model, and they were all positive it was. love it. I saw Rusty 3 weekends ago in Dallas and he was riding the pulse with the Murray bindings.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-02-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
David Williams - can you expound on the sizes that this new Rusty board is going to be available in?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-02-2008, 8:02 PM Reply   
Nope, I gave you everything I know. We're working on getting some more info.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-03-2008, 3:55 PM Reply   
Great - thanks. Keep me posted.
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-06-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
Heard the Rusty board is in the works but don't look for it this summer. Slated for '09 line. Fall probablly the earliest. We are still trying to get the Murray's in stock. As for the Parks board. It was too much board for my level. Gerry Nunn, Murray, and the wakeboard camp guys said the same thing. No one but Parks should ride it. The 144 was the softest landing board I ever had though. 6'4 270
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
back to the parks subject i know this post got kinda hacked but my first board was the Parks 138 and its becuz my parents bought it for me the board is sick no matter what you say i learned my style of riding on that board and got pretty good on it once you learn to control it the sky is yours, this year tho got the ronix one and like that to lol just not as much pop as the parks
but back to the subject of rustys board cant wait to see it should be sick hope hes not like danny and never releases a boot
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-06-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
hmmmm....
Old     (cpizzle)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-06-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Yeah! I hope he's not like that danny guy.

Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 6:22 PM Reply   
maybe you are referring to how danny never had a sig. boot with hype?
Old     (sciotorider)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-06-2008, 6:41 PM Reply   
rick- whats up when we gonna get to ride? this weather is crazy here. what board you gonna ride this year
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-06-2008, 9:08 PM Reply   
yeah thas what i meant lol lets hope rusty has a sig boot lol i like seeing the new boots on the market lol its nice seeing brand new desgns lol although hype does have the murray for this year
Old     (rkitz44)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-07-2008, 7:37 AM Reply   
Yeah Chris, we had our first boat club meeting last night and now in the middle of a snow storm. Global Warming? Probablly sticking with Pulse/3ds shape. Will check out the 145 Murray.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
Nothing to do with the board here, just Rusty. Last year me and my son met him at WakeFest here in Wichita. All the pros we met were cool and friendly but he talked to my eight year old more than the others.
On our way to the lake the next day he said, "Yeah me and Rusty are pretty much friends now." Thought that was awesome. Andrew Adkison was really friendly and a great ambassador for the sport that day too.
Sorry to side track.