Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/ anyone...
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-27-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
never even heard of them. Looks pretty legit. How much do these things cost?
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-27-2008, 7:26 PM Reply   
Had it two years. I like it and it works as advertised. No more "sun" headaches. You can talk at full throttle. Some of the black powder coating is coming off the exhaust tip. Stainless underneath so it is not hurting a thing.

Price is on the web. I would not surf without it.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
Did you use it with a trim tab or plate?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2008, 7:36 PM Reply   
They are great!

Upload

Easy to install
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/433197.html?1182050251
Old     (xpjim1)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-27-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
They are great. Over on tigeowners.com many threads on the subject as we have done a few group buys. Also do a search on wakeworld as it has been discussed before
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 7:49 PM Reply   
I was wondering how it would clear a plate. I thought it would go under but that would interrupt the water flow on the plate.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2008, 7:55 PM Reply   
Clears the plate on my boat just fine. If FAE has already built an FAE for you exact boat model they have all the dimensions needed. Larry Mann at FAE has a form for new model boats. All you have to do is make a few simple measurements and described on the form.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Mine would have to be custom made & I see that would not be a problem for them.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-27-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
http://www.boatpipes.com/Nautique_InterimPage.html
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-27-2008, 8:18 PM Reply   
David
At this time FAE for Nautiques are still custom; we don't make them till we receive the order. For the other brands of boats we keep the components in stock.

Trim tabs and the Nautique Hydro-Gate are no problem.

Today we just posted new pictures on our website including several Nautiques. If you get a FAE, we need more pictures, please.

Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust
www.FreshAirExhaust.com
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-27-2008, 8:22 PM Reply   
I'd need one for this. It's a 71 Century Coronado 440 ddUpload
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-27-2008, 9:36 PM Reply   
if that video on the home page is accurate, that is pretty remarkable. i would love to have that so i can hear my tower speakers even more clear while riding.
Old     (lunchbox)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-27-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
You guys are right... FAE = Better sounding stereo, less obnoxious fumes, and being able to actually have a conversation with people in the boat.

Here's a couple of pix of my '07 Tige 20V...

Upload
Upload

Best accessory I've bought for the boat yet...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-27-2008, 11:11 PM Reply   
Mine is Stainless steel and it is definitely the best option on my boat.
Upload

Upload
It should be a manufacturer option but it is cheaper to by from Larry Mann and the service is exceptional.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-28-2008, 11:12 AM Reply   
I have in on my boat as well and it's worth every penny.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-28-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
It looks to me that is is restricting the exhaust flow down. 2 2.5 to 3 inch exhaust ports restricted down to one. Or is there something I am missing???
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-28-2008, 11:29 AM Reply   
What about Malibus? There are prices on the site, but how does that work with a wedge, manual or power? i would think it would be in the way???
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       01-28-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
Is that mounted to the teak platform?
So if i have to remove my platform to put the boat in the garage will i have to remove the FAE?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-28-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
I have one on my Malibu VLX.

It doesn't fit Malibus with the Wedge, though.

Exhaust restriction is minimal. You may lose 1 mph, top end, but who cares when you're wakeboarding or surfing.

Yes, it mounts to the platform, so your platform needs to stay on.

Absolutely amazing product. Every boat should have one. My tower speakers don't have to work so hard and you can carry on normal conversations inthe boat.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
Great product but it did reduce top end on the VLX, and since we have to take off the platform to get it in the garage, it could no longer be used.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       01-28-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
why couldnt one make his own with 2 90deg elbows and 2 pipes straight down. Crush them into a oval... I would think it would work.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       01-28-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
1 mph loss? hmmmmmm Is that a guess? I bet it restricts it more than that. I would be curious to see how much power it actually does take away.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-28-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
I installed mine last April and glad I did. Well worth the money for just reducing engine noise, not to mention the health and safety benefits of the redirected CO

I notice only a slight loss of hole shot and maybe 2.5 mph slower top end. Since my boat goes way faster then I ski, I dont notice this loss.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-28-2008, 7:03 PM Reply   
No, 1 to 2 mph is a pretty consistent finding. I rarely go over 24 mph anyway. Heck I surf I rarely go over 10 mph.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-28-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
so, these things work good on newer boats I see. But how good would they work on old school boats. I have a 1982 Ski Nautique and if it would help on the engine noise I would live it. I'm sure it wouldn't work as good, because the motor is right in the middle of the boat, but how much would it help?
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-28-2008, 7:20 PM Reply   
One thing I was always wondering- does it soften the wake at all? It seems like it would.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-28-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
Nope, no diff then having the prop and rudder hanging down really
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       01-28-2008, 7:39 PM Reply   
Had one on my old MB. Larry is making one now for my new Tige now.

Love them!!

Upload
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-28-2008, 8:47 PM Reply   
What our testing indicates is that with FAE there is a slight increase in back pressure at slow speeds. On some boats this will actually help the low end torque for faster hole shot acceleration; it did on our Tige 20i. The way that the downpipe on FAE is designed, at higher speeds the water rushing past the FAE creates a suction force (venturi effect) that helps to pull the exhaust out of the engine thus enhancing engine performance. There is no change in performance until top speed where we see a loss of about 1.5 to 2 mph.
Fresh Air Exhaust (FAE) has a quick release option so the platform can be removed easily.

We are currently testing on a Malibu with a Power Wedge and will begin testing on a standard wedge soon. Hopefully we will finally be able to offer you Wedge folks an FAE soon.

The first FAE was installed on a 1988 Nautique and it worked great. We have a few FAE on this generation of Nautiques. Somewhere on the WakeWorld discussions is a picture of a Nautique 2001 hull with FAE installed. If anyone knows where it is, please send me the link as I want that picture for our website; it is a beautiful boat.

Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       01-28-2008, 10:09 PM Reply   
we also noticed a little bit of a "head" on the wake or washout as one might say. Larry, we have an 05 VLX and the platform MUST come off each time it is used, what is this quick release option you speak of? we bought the boat used with 20hrs so we did not buy first hand but would love to use it!! let a brother know!
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-29-2008, 1:05 AM Reply   
Art which one did you order, cover sleeve or quick release?
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2008, 6:20 AM Reply   
WakeLV
The quick release for your 05VLX is 46.13 and you only need to pull 2 pins to release the FAE from the swim platform.
Kenny
The pictures of Art's Sanger show the stainless cover sleeve which covers the all-thread bolt. It too is now available as an option.

Both the quick release and the cover sleeve will retrofit all FAE installations. You will need to contact us by phone or email to order the quick release or cover sleeve as we need to match up the correct one with your boat.

Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-29-2008, 7:06 AM Reply   
Kenny, I've got a long garage for storage and mine sits on the water for a couple of months. I could take my platform off without tooooo much hassle but it would be better to get a quick release if you're in and out of the garage regularly.

(Message edited by rallyart on January 29, 2008)
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-31-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
The initial testing of the FAE on the Malibu with Power Wedge went well. We are making some modifications to the mounting hardware and will retest. We will start a new thread with pictures once testing is finished.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-01-2008, 8:55 AM Reply   
Larry, if i can make a recommendation...you guys should take measurements of all the standard wakeboard & surf boats.

When I inquired about your product for my '02 SAN, they sent me a template of measurements to take. My worry was that I'd be slightly off and the thing wouldn't fit. I would think you guys should have those measurements down, especially because mine is one of the most popular wakeboard boats out there.

Just my $.02
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-05-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
Tommy
We already have over 300 boats in our database.
The problem with measurements on your boat is that I haven't confirmed the quality control of exhaust outlet placement on the Nautiques. Many of the manufacturers just drill a hole in about the right place for the exhaust outlets; I don't know for Nautiques. For most brands, we have enough adjustment built in that we can compensate for the lack of absolute exhaust outlet location. On the Nautiques, our system has to be within about 1/4" correct to look and fit properly; thus we need measurements to make a FAE specific to your boat. I agree, it's a pain but until we have more Nautiques in our database I am not willing to make one without specific measurements. I have an idea to make the Nautiqe FAE more adjustable that may be ready by spring. But even then, I will still require measurement.
Larry Mann
Fresh Air Exhaust
Upload