Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jcocci)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-30-2010, 4:23 AM Reply   
Looking at getting another surfboard and I've narrowed it down to one of these two. I'm 230 lbs and have a Malibu 247. I know the Swallow is based on the BL. Any recommendations or can anyone tell me the differences between the two boards other than what I've already seen on the IS website? Also I'm relatively new so how does fin setup affect the board?
Old    surfdad            01-30-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
The blue lake has a decided hip that the swallow doesn't have. In theory, that hip gives a place to turn on. It also allows the outline to more quickly bring in the tail. A fuller or more rounded outline in the tail tends to smooth out turns. The swallow with the swallow tail allows the tail to more easily sink when turning (less volume = less float) but at 230 you're probably pushing the limits of the board and my guess would be you'll already be sinking the tail to begin with, so the effect is probably muted some for you. The Swallow is slightly narrower than the Blue Lake, which aids some with responsiveness, but also creates a somewhat more parallel outline also aiding in down-the-line speed.

IS claims that the rails are sharper on the swallow. Sharper rails will allow that area to bite more and sharper (less rounded) rails release water better. Water will wrap curved surfaces, which slows a board down and decreases responsiveness in turns. If IS claims are accurate, the sharper rails would contribute to some additional down the line speed and rail-to-rail responsiveness. Wakeoutlaws.com has been pushing IS products this last year, and have several comments on the swallow, filtering out the spam element most folks to indicate the swallow is faster and more responsive than the Blue.

I'm not a big fan of the A frame quad arrangement on the IS products. The canards don't clean up the boundary layer on the rail fins and changing a pivot point inward towards the centerline of the board tends to fight the effects of the rail fins, IMO. That said, more fin area will give more bite and hence drive, I believe the fin setup discussed by Lance in the video is the preferred setup by quad users. A quad will give more drive, but also makes the board feel stiffer than if ridden as a twin fin - fins in the rail side box. Turns are more drawn out and sliding the tail (which is the failure of the fins to hold) takes more effort with a quad than a twin...big guys typically don't have a problem with overpowering fins though.

Both boards are heavy in relative comparison to other offerings in that size and shape. Inland probably does the best job in fit and finish of any of the wakesurfers.

Having ridden them both, the Swallow does feel more responsive than the Blue, but I'm 50 pounds lighter than you, so...YMMV.

My 2 cents, hope it helps.
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-30-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
I am 250 pounds and have a CC 211 which I would consider a medium wake. I have a Red Tide and bought a Swallow at the end of last year. I like it a lot. It was a big upgrade over the Red Tide. I have the big fins and the Prankster. I have about a 100th the experience of Surfdad so his explanation of rails and fins always impress me.

I rode a few of the Walker Boards at the polar bear event and I liked all of them. I would consider one of them if I can find the money. The Walker Boards are more custom and may be a little more fragile. The IS boards scratch very easy but don't dent as easy.

I had a guy about 185 pounds try my Swallow and did not like it. We have an IS green board that work better for him.

I think for a all around board the Blue board would be easier for more people to ride. I think the Swallow will feel quicker and perform a little better and allow a little more progression.

As far as the fins I bought a pair of the Big Boys. They make the boards much faster. I have used them on the Swallow, Red Tide and our Green board. If I lost them I would buy a new pair. I bought a pair of the Pranksters and I am not sure about them. Mitch added them to the Sweet Spot and he said they made a big difference.
Old     (jcocci)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-30-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Jeff and Roger - great input - thanks.
We have a Hyperlite board already that we will keep for beginners. I am by no means an expert but I am looking to try to make some progression. I'm not looking to get another board for everyone to ride; this one would be for mid-level riders or people looking to progress like me. I have a friend with some experience who just purchased the Swallow last year and loved it. He said it was the fastest board he had been on and handled like a gem. That's why I wanted to learn more about the Swallow...