Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2010, 11:26 PM Reply   
I'm in the market for a boat. The two I have been considering are both 2006 X-stars. One has 200hrs, the other has 150hrs. Both within a couple thousand of each other. Both boats are on consignment at a dealer and owned by the original owners. This will be my first boat.

I'm a BMW technician so I have some mechanical background. Checking out the engine, listening for noises, etc. are a no brainier, but what other things should I look for?

Are there any major/common issues with the 06 X-star?
Is there anyway to hookup a scan tool to the engine?

I just found this forum tonight and will dig thru as much as I can, but if anyone can chime with some insight that would be great. Thanks!
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       05-27-2010, 4:37 AM Reply   
If I had to do it over again I would put more attention towards the hull and fiberglass. My boat had been repaired prior and they filled in the spot with bondo, instead of fixing it with fiberglass, and sprayed more gel coat over it. Within a year I had gel cracks galore running from the windshield to the transom right above the rubrail. You won't be able to tell everything, but just keep an eye out for blemishes. They can be more serious than you think with a boat and the amount will tell you how well the boat has been cared for.
Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
see if the dealer will offer a 90 major mechanical warranty. If they are consignments, that might be more tricky. The hours are low for both boats, so unless they had a major problem the motors should be strong.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-27-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
I know the 2006 X-1 had a fuel pump issue, and we had a minor fuel pump issue with the 2007 X-Star.

Do you know which motor these boats have?
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
One has the 8.1L the other has the 5.7L MCX
Old    sperbet            05-27-2010, 10:43 AM Reply   
Not sure if it was a common issue, but I know someone who had major issues with the 8.1 in an 07 or 08(???). They did run a ton of weight. And it wasn't just a one time issue, it was the same issue multiple times with that motor.
Old     (gregholloway)      Join Date: May 2009       05-27-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have an 07 X-Star for sale, I would say be careful with the 5.7L. I test drove one and put some weight in it and it wouldn't even plain out. I put the 6.0 LY-6 in mine and it handles whatever load I want to put on it.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-27-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetdigit View Post
One has the 8.1L the other has the 5.7L MCX
The boat with the 8.1 L engine will book out on NADA about 11k more than the one without.

The 5.7 is great for most recreational wakeboarders, and even pretty good with the right prop. But if 4k of ballast is what you are going to do, then better go with the 8.1.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-27-2010, 1:55 PM Reply   
Yeah, if you are going to be sinking that thing, you're better to go with the 8.1. If the guy has kept up with the service you should be good to go.
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 1:57 PM Reply   
So it comes down to choosing which one:

2006 X-Star 200hrs MCX = $40k
2006 X-Star 150hrs 8.1L = $47k

I'm mostly concerned about value and which one is the better buy. Let me know what you guys think.
Old     (riverside)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-27-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
you can scan the engine with a diacom scan tool from rinda.com
Old     (dellagucci)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-27-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
get the 496
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-27-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
I run 4000 pounds with a reproped MCX in my x-star, with no problems. For most days I'd get the mcx for the gas savings. If you can pull the pre-water pump impeller to see if it's damaged (missing fins), that will tell you a lot about the boats maintenance history. If it's in bad shape the motor could have been overheated. Do they both have dual axle trailers? Since I've seen single axle trailers under x-star, which doesn't seen like fun to tow around. Another thing to think of is that a boats spend a lot of time at slow speed or idling in and out of 5mph zone, making 200 hours seem like nothing. Also do they both have perfect pass, tower speakers,etc...(these things seem to be a must and can add up $$$$$ later)?????

The real question is which one does your significant other want??????
Cheers,
DC
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-27-2010, 8:54 PM Reply   
Both have dual axle trailers, 4 tower speakers/lights and perfect pass. The only major difference is the engine and color.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-29-2010, 3:58 PM Reply   
Here's my opinion (I own an '05 X-star MCX)

When propped correctly, the MCX is a strong enough engine if you only add 2500-3000 lbs. of ballast plus passengers. I add about 2500 lbs. to mine. Not sure how well it will perform with 3500-4000 lbs.

Also, we mostly use ours at sea level. If you're at any high altitude, go for the 8.1 Liter.

I purchased mine because it was a great deal (leftover) but if I had to chose again I would go with a 6.0 liter.

Keep in mind the 8.1 will not have to work as hard and can be propped a bit differently than the MCX.

Do a compression test on those engines before you decide.
One other thing, consignment=negotiate a better price!

www.tmcowners.com has alot of Mastercraft info and help.
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-29-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
After taking a look at both boats its AMAZING how people treat there stuff. Brand new these things cost a pretty penny. Both have been stored outside, oil was pitch black, mold and mildew in the stitching of the seats, a few rips in the vinyl, etc. etc. It looks like some rich slob let there kids trash the thing. With the two demos I did I've gotten the impression that people who can afford a $80k boat don't know a thing about maintenance or are too lazy to do it. Wasn't there a survey that the average income of a Mastercraft owner was around $300k??? I feel like this thing was parked outside some guys double wide, not some big wig executive who you'd think would give a damn. Needless to say, I'm a little frustrated.

As a side note: My garage is 25ft, can you remove the rear platform for easier storage?
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-29-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
the rear platform is held by 2 pins on either side underneath. pull those out ans the platform comes off easily
Old     (floatingguru)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2010, 11:29 AM Reply   
There are a ton of things you want to check. First, go to NADA and enter all the options. A lot of boat owners are underneath their loans and are selling the boat on consignment because they need to sell it for the amount owed on the loan, not the actual value. There are some great deals out there, but buyer beware.

Checks:
Open the motor cover. Does it glide back into place easily? That will tell you how many times someone has opened the motor cover (if has wear and tear...beware).
Look at the motor mounts. Do they line up with stains or has it been moved or is not straight (this will tell you if there has been major engine trouble and if the motor has been pulled)
Look at the condition of the bilge. If it is super dirty or worn: it is a bad sign that the owners did not take care of the boat. The bilge is key in determining what has happened to the boat. Most mechanics will leave things behind if its a major job. Look for any sign of debre.
Take a look at all the comparments and storage in the same manner. Look for signs of stupidity. You will find them on any boat.
Take a good look at the entire hull. Look at the trailer boat guides and the hull to see how the owner did on trailering it. There will be signs of wear to the hull if the owner didn't learn how to trailer the boat efficiently. Look really closely at the hull. Just forward of the supports on the trailer you will find gouges in the hull if the owner did not take care while trailering it. Bad sign.
Look into the exhaust fittings on the back of the boat (both of them). If you see debre, black powder, or even rust; the owner did not do a good job flushing the boat and making sure the exhaust manifolds were clear of most the water when not in use. Also, go back under the motor cover and look at where the exhaust manifolds mount to the engine. There will be bleeding from those connections. If there is a lot of rust and corrosion there, beware.

Get a compression check on the engine. You are dropping serious dough on this. Wakeboarders are notorious for hammering the throttle.

Finally, just use common sense. From tip to tail there are a lot of signs that will guide you to how the owners took care of the vessel. Look everywhere and be picky. Boats are huge holes you throw money into. Even if you get the boat of your dreams, you will be fixing a boat (new or used) throughout most of your ownership.

Enjoy and I hope this helps. Todd
my blog: http://thirdcoastyachtsales.blogspot.com/
Old     (midgetdigit)      Join Date: May 2010       05-30-2010, 1:18 PM Reply   
Does NADA account for hrs?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2010, 4:01 PM Reply   
Yeah, NADA will account for this in how you figure the condition is. NADA is not always accurate. If someone is trying to get out from under a loan then you have some bargaining power. Conversely, I sold a boat last summer and got a few thousand above NADA( It was an older garage kept boat with very low hours). So NADA pricing might be off. I would do what your doing and check real pricing in your market for the same boat. Also, I would think if its being sold on consignment the dealer has mechanically checked it out or would to make a sale. The dealer wants your continued business so I would imagine they would help you out in any way possible.
Can you take it for a test drive? Put it through its paces and see mechanically how it drives and tracks. Fill the ballast and check the cruise control. Keep the stereo off and listen to the boat. Then, if your really interested, and the dealer hasn't done it, make sure you get it checked by a mechanic.
I don't agree with Todd on wear and tear on the engine cover being signs of engine problems. Most people lift the cover to allow the motor compartment to dry out. Im in there all the time checking for signs of leaks and wear and drying it out. If I had to have my engine replaced it would only be opened one more time then its has already been!