Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       07-20-2009, 3:38 PM Reply   
So I was with my girlfriend this weekend and she made a statement that I've been reflecting on for the past day. She said "Babe, you really love that darn boat more than life itself." After giving it some thought, I came to the conclusion that she was right. So I was wondering, what have you guys done that reflect your love for your ride?
Here is a list of things that I came up with:
1) On a boat ride this weekend, my girlfriend (whom I truly do love) asked if I could have her or my boat, which would I keep. After stuttering for a legitimate 5 whole seconds, which all you folks know is a big no no, I finally answered her
2) On that same boat ride, we were talking about the future and I told her that I was more likely to spend 80k on a new boat in the next 5 to 7 years before putting a down payment down on a house. Also, not a very intelligent thing to do.
3) I had some really bald tires on my truck and instead of buying new ones with a paycheck, I decided to purchase a new Alpine marine amp.
4) I got into a fight with my brother because he didn't want to wipe down the boat after a use.
5) Though I'm only able to use the Mastercraft on the weekends, i still pull the boat off the lift and out of the water every three weeks to wash it and wax it. (which for me eats half a day)
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-20-2009, 4:14 PM Reply   
Several times now I have seen the following occur....

Everyone preps and gets into boat, boat driver hops into driver seat and instructs someone to back it down the ramp. While backing down ramp the driver of tow vehicle says "Dude, are we going to run out of gas? Even going uphill the gas gauge is pegged on empty!"... The boat driver responds with "What are you talking about, we just filled her up?"....Driver of tow vehicle responds with "no idiot, your truck!"...Boat driver..."Nah we should be good."
Old     (sang_bangin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-20-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
LOL...I like to look at my boat in big store windows as we drive by. The mirrored stores are the best. I have a 2007 Sanger D215 and I named it Sang-Bangin. Peace
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2009, 4:38 PM Reply   
Im obsessed with mine...
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-20-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Yes... 100%

I had to choose between my house and my boat and I chose my boat! lol Maybe not the brightest descion but my boats paid off and the house wasn't, plus I get alot more enjoyment out of the boat. The house was always a chore to work on. The boat is just, well fun!

I am irresponsible and i know it! I remember September 06 I bought my grandfather a new yamaha vlx waverunner for his birthday cash, and then borrowed money from my parents to pay the mortgage one week later. I knew my parents would help me out if i came into a bind with the house, but they'd never help buy more lake toys!

Spent the whole winter building a new dock. Two stories with a slide! Only got to use it once because the waters been so low at Naci but what else can bring as much joy as being on the water?

Case in point. Right now i was just outside waxing my boat and the trailer. And I'm having fun doing it. Anyone that knows me knows i haven't washed my truck in over a year!

Every paycheck first cut goes to gas for the boat, second cut goes to something new for the boat, third cut goes to bills and Momma cuz I owe her alot of money! lol
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
At 19 I knew there was a lot of stuff I needed to pay for before a boat... but the 15th of every month, sure enough, I have a payment.

the good times already had in it make it totally worth it..... only really sucks when its -25 outside in the middle of Jan. and I have to make the payment. Oh well.
Old     (lancesaville)      Join Date: May 2009       07-20-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
think we're all at least a little obsessed with our boats or they'd all look like dirty stock, something to be said for customizing and cleaning. Although chqwakeboarder, I think you only need to wax the gelcoat like twice a year. But to each their own, I bet it shines like a mofo :-)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2009, 5:27 PM Reply   
Just because most of spent a full years salary on a damn boat doesn't make us obsessed....... or does it??
Hmmmm.....
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2009, 5:45 PM Reply   
I'm guilty! I have boat obsession, ...but I also have truck obsession, bike obsession, beer obsession, and I even have wife obsession after 26 years of marriage
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-20-2009, 5:54 PM Reply   
Im with Chris only its been 27 for me I can keep track by the # of boats
year 1 jet boat
year 4 Regal bow rider
year 10 Prostar 190
Year 18 Supra 22 SSV
year 25 Malibu 23 LSV
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-20-2009, 6:09 PM Reply   
Oh, forgot one... BBQ obsession, I grill 4-5 nights a week, all year round
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-20-2009, 6:35 PM Reply   
This may hijack your post a bit but along the same lines, this weekend was tough for me....

I am 42, self employed and to keep it brief, slow right now thanks too DC. Last summer we got some decent lake time but not near enough for ME and now I have the time to get to the lake. Life is short! you know. I got 3 girls, all wakesurfers and got the youngest up last week!!! (she is 9)
I have been taking off for some long weekends to the lake and take them and their friends surfing and have a pretty good time but they tell me all I want to do is surf (which I surf very little, really just them and there friends) We typically get out for about 2-3 hrs AM and maybe 2 PM and they tell me that is "overboard" (that is about 20 min a piece of water time).
I take off work, do all the prep, gas maintenance, cleaning, and cooking, $$$, etc with the help of my wife of course, and they just want to set in the camper and watch TV i guess or maybe stay home.
Then i come back home and have to work 10 to 12+ hrs a day to catch up. I really really try to be nice and patient but MAN when i was a boy i slept in our 16ft Glaston POS the night before we left and dreamed about the next day. I know im a boy, i guess what im asking is how to you get GIRLs energized? My wife does not back me much either.
Sorry for the heart story here and maybe I should start my own post on this but it is a love for the boat and boating that brings family and friends together, right?
It was HOT, which was a factor for last week but I still do not know HOW to inspire them to when it is perfect. Any ideas?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
Good luck Scott. I rode 6 times in the last 4 days.... probably 15 - 20 min. each time. She thinks I'm nuts. And occasionally she will ride.
The only thing my wife wants to do on the boat is party. So I go ride. She parties.... OK, we party. Whatever keeps her happy.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-20-2009, 6:51 PM Reply   
I'm with ya Scott when I was a kid I loved going out in my familys boat any chance we could. Water skiing, tubing, knee boarding, etc. My kids like to go out but often complain "when we going back in" "I don't wanna go out again" granted I go out a lot more than my parents did but I think kids today are just to damned tuned into TV and video games. I hate letting them bring their DS's out but they get bored otherwise. It's like once they got their fun in they wanna call it a day. We get them involved with the flag and rope and such but that lasts all of ten minutes. I guess I'm at a loss too...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
I'm obsessed, it's actually caused huge fights between my girl and I. Of course it's the whole lifestyle not just the boat. But I still love rolling up to a gas station and people stopping and looking to check out my boat, aahhhh...She is fine!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-20-2009, 8:04 PM Reply   
LOL, similiar fights here too...My girlfriend accuses me of cheating on her with the "Yellow Mistress" and that I put more money into it than I do anything else. I have seen it that everything has a budget but the boat. It is getting underwater LED's for its 2 year anniversary lol...I bought it a heater a while back and spoil it as much as possible. New board for the girl or jewelery....hm..board....lol..
The gas tank stays full and I keep snacks and drinks and just about everything else on board. I just bought a bow cover for her too lol...Sigh.at least I know i'm not alone with being obsessed.
Old     (jpuckett)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Scott my kids are just the opposite. They want to go to the lake every day. They are even pushing for a lake house where we can live and they stay at the lake. My daughter is 20 and my son is 16. My son wakeboards, wakeskates, and surfs. My daughter wakeboards a little from time to time. We also have a big tube that we use for the friends when they take them. As for me I just drive the boat.

They just love to go and anchor up and just float around and socialize with their friends. We go to the lake a lot but the boat doesn't have that many hours on it. A tank of gas will last me sometimes three weeks. In a day’s time we may only put an hour or so on the meter but be out there six or more hours.

You might try changing your activities and see what happens. Turn the music on throw the noodles and lifejackets out there in the water and float around and see what happens.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       07-20-2009, 9:03 PM Reply   
Mine is sort of a love/hate obsession. I hate the fact that it drains me of most of my time and money but I love being on the water!
Old     (martinez30)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-20-2009, 9:10 PM Reply   
Worry not man, my wife makes the same statement from time to time...

My wife is cool though, she loves the boat ALMOST the same.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-20-2009, 9:42 PM Reply   
If a girlfriend as the question: "Me or the boat", she's not worth having and if you continue to spend your life with her, it's over at that point.
Old     (sulmaxwell)      Join Date: Dec 2003       07-20-2009, 10:32 PM Reply   
my now wife,then girl friend. encouraged me to buy the new boat...that was 03...had I spent the money on a simple DP on realestate...I could have had alot more $....although...now I look back on it...she...the boat..and the girl..was worth everypenny...now I want to get a bimini...and it's like..well....why spend the 1G on a bimini...when you could spend...a "little" more and get a whole new ride?
it boils down to this...
You have an M3 or a corvette.. or maybe a nice truck and a hog...they are nice rides..
but can the whole family enjoy them...can you and * friends...enjoy it?..while also being healthy and getting a work out?..although YES lot's of boat time is partying..it's also time on the water..doing things for maybe 10-20 mins at the most..things...mind you....that a gym pass couldnt get you as stiff in a 1hr free class....so to speak..it's called usage of time..like why do I log into WW.com and search about tow boats and accessories..when I could be youtubing a new work out video or health tips...well GUESS WHAT???!
it's call priorities...
carpe diem my Friends...
i have a sticker...I put it on my brand new boat in 03...it's tastfully placed right @ the back of my boat...right where you have to LOOK to get out of the water....I've read it..i read it every time i swim up to the swim grid to get back on my boat...after I've had a spill..a few years ago...I read it after I hurt myself from a tanny and floated to the swim grid to be hauled out by my crew....I've read that sticker...as she sits in my garage...and I work out @ my home gym.... beside my boat all winter long...as i type now...with a brand new SON who was just born...last night! Thinking...do i need a new boat or should I invest....really?
as the sticker reads..tastefully yet...truthfully placed right @ the back of my boat...very Simple...

LIFE IS SHORT RIDE HARD

that my friends....sums it up!

then again....maybe it's just me...and if it is...so be it!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2009, 1:30 AM Reply   
Guilty.
In my defence my boat is pretty RAD.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-21-2009, 5:41 AM Reply   
I feel ya pain! New boats are so expensive that you should spend the time and take care of her. Just because she's worth more than the truck or house, doesn't make us obsessed! Does it?
Old     (yooper)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2009, 5:54 AM Reply   
"I had to choose between my house and my boat and I chose my boat! lol Maybe not the brightest descion but my boats paid off and the house wasn't, plus I get alot more enjoyment out of the boat. The house was always a chore to work on. The boat is just, well fun!

I am irresponsible and i know it! I remember September 06 I bought my grandfather a new yamaha vlx waverunner for his birthday cash, and then borrowed money from my parents to pay the mortgage one week later. I knew my parents would help me out if i came into a bind with the house, but they'd never help buy more lake toys!

Spent the whole winter building a new dock. Two stories with a slide! Only got to use it once because the waters been so low at Naci but what else can bring as much joy as being on the water?

Case in point. Right now i was just outside waxing my boat and the trailer. And I'm having fun doing it. Anyone that knows me knows i haven't washed my truck in over a year!

Every paycheck first cut goes to gas for the boat, second cut goes to something new for the boat, third cut goes to bills and Momma cuz I owe her alot of money! lol"

Wow. Unbelievable.
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-21-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Is it obsessed when I get on here every 5 seconds to see if someone has said something new about their boat, or if I can read every story in here and pretty much relate to everything that that person has said? My girlfriend has said that at least she knows that if she catches me cheating on her it will be with my boat and she is exactly right. I've only owned my own boat for a little over a year now and never have I had debt rack up so quickly and actually been happy about it. I have grown up my whole life fascinated by all kinds of boats and now that I have my own all I want to do is be with it 24/7 haha. I have a screensaver on my phone, work computer, home computer, etc,.... of my boat and it will only change when my boat changes.

If your going to spend a lot of time and effort on something be passionate about it and go at it 100%. Some people might call that obsession, but obviously those people are mad they don't have something to take pride in.
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
We just had a little girl four months ago, my wife asked me this weekend up in Tahoe "What do you want more a new Chris Craft or a baby boy?" I am still pondering the question.....
Old     (jcurtis)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-21-2009, 8:04 AM Reply   
Forgot to add...I would have to be able to afford the new chris craft.....
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-21-2009, 8:30 AM Reply   
Hi, My name is Dan, and I am obsessed with boats. Looking back at it now, I don't know when exactly this started but my guess would be when I was 1 at my Grandma's lake house. I don't remember ever not having access to a boat of some sort. In a related note, I truly believe that about every 3rd thought through my head for as long as I could remember has been either about boats, water, or (starting about 3 years ago) wakeboarding. I honestly don't know how other people are not the same way. Obsessed might not be a strong enough word...
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-21-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
Scott here,
Thanks everyone, i REALLY almost did not post that after typing it all up! Very glad i did!!!

Thanks "Pain"

"Hanger" Very good ideas! need to anchor more and just chill and get them to remember to bring there ipods instead of just listening to mine: Def Lepard all the time (JK they love DL) but some Taylor Swift would be good while chillin')
(BTW did anyone see the Leppard/Swift Crossroads???)
But CAN-NOT anchor that long!

"Maxwell" Very Very nice! Loved it:

"Live is short ride hard"

But i got another one!

"LIFE IS HARD RIDE LONG!!!"

What do you think?

God Bless America!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-22-2009, 6:12 AM Reply   
Scott, leave the TV at home and the girls will come out to play.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2009, 7:04 AM Reply   
85, 86 Centurions
89, 91, 92, 92,94,96, 97, 98 MasterCrafts
2000,2001,2003,2004,2005,2007 Centurions

Obsessed Nah seems just right to me
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-22-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
Jarrod,

Still laughing as I do the same thing. I have been through a few boats. Unfortunately, when I bought my new Supreme I needed accessories. PP GPS, speakers, amps, racks, etc. I have 3 sets of speakers, two in which I purchased within 3 weeks of eachother. I definitely have a problem. I can admit it. Problem is that there isn't enough sunlight in a day to satisfy my time on the water.

Upload
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thats a really sharp looking boat.
Old     (matt_beck)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-22-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Hate. No problems so far. Seems like I should switch out the impellars in the Ballast Puppy's. Usually tow with the dually.

Upload
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
I know I am obsessed because my wife tells me everyday. The grass is waste high, trash piled into the garage, but boat is looking and running great. I love to tinker and a boat always needs a tinkering. That might have something to with it.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
I know I am obsessed because my wife tells me everyday. The grass is waste high, trash piled into the garage, but boat is looking and running great. I love to tinker and a boat always needs a tinkering. That might have something to with it.
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-23-2009, 8:43 AM Reply   
My wife and I are car shopping, these are the stipulations for the car. It has to be able to tow the boat, it has to be able to bring everyone that will go in the boat, it has to last the length of its payments and the boats payments. We dont have a boat yet, but we will shortly.
Old     (tomfish)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-23-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
If you're not even married yet and she is thinking you spend too much time with the boat and asks if you love it more than her, you can be Double assured that it will not get any better or easier after marriage. Get out now!!!
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-23-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
We probably looked at fifty different houses when shopping for our first house because the only issue that I wouldnt compromise on is that it had to have some place to park the boat. Now we are looking for a new house and it either has to have an RV garage so I can park it without putting down the tower or a boat house on the lake. lol.