Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
So we set up camp for the 4th, and go to drop the boat in, and screech. The wheels are rubbing on the MC fiberglass fenders.

BOTH right side torsion springs have died. We limp the boat into the water, and there it stays.

Fortunately, the camping area has mooring bouys for short term rentals.

I've bounced my trailer back home, and am awaiting the return of the Mastercraft people from their holiday to find out if there is any remedy for my '02 trailer via recall or warranty. I've only seen information about a "service bulletin" or something.

Is there any such replacement policy? It is the UFP axle.

I've seen other threads about problems with the cute, rubbery torsion springs, but no information as to how to change them myself.

Cope & McPhetres (Reno, NV) has told me they can't even schedule me until August for any repairs.

????

(Message edited by awf_axis on July 04, 2006)

(Message edited by awf_axis on July 04, 2006)
Old     (x2momma)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2006, 10:12 AM Reply   
You will probably have to wait until tomorrow to talk to anyone, but have you tried calling DHM Trailers in Sacramento?
In the past they have been very helpful with parts and giving out info when we have done the repairs ourselves.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-05-2006, 8:19 AM Reply   
I had the same problem with the trailer for my 02 x star. The dealership replaced the springs two years ago. Mine had just started to rub the fenders so I count myself fortunate. It is a known issue on those trailers so I hope you do not encounter any resistance. Good luck in getting your problem resolved.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-05-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
Just got off the phone with my dealer. They are trying to find a "loaner" trailer for me, provided I take my trailer into their shop for service.

The UFP factory will take 2 weeks to ship new axles (they will not send just springs), and so this is out of my hands, regarding self repair.

I guess it will be covered by some warranty agreement.

So hopefully, they find a loaner for me so I don't have to miss the rest of our short summer season.

Dave
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-05-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
Ok, now I'm getting somewhere.

Got a hold of Mr. Dyer of UFP, and although the axles are out of warranty, is working to get me the replacement axles in the next 2 days.

I'm using a different service center for the repair, since Cope is too busy. I may be up and running by end of next week.

I'm really appreciative of the fast response by UFP to my plight.

Dave
Old     (kbrowning)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-06-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
Are you saying that you will have to pay for this out of your pocket? I would be very disappointed if that were the case. MC knows there was a problem with many of that years trailers. Just imagine if you had failure pulling down the road at 70mph. I think MC knows they would be liable in that situation. I really think someone should be able to get the costs covered through the manufacturer. Good Luck.
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-06-2006, 6:36 AM Reply   
Well, the axles are being covered by UFP, but MC has told me that that labor is not included. UFP is providing the axle replacements without charge (no shipping either), but I have to pay 3 shop hrs to have them put on and brakes bled.

Point to consider is that it took 4 yrs for the axles to fail, and they are out of warranty by 2 yrs.

This issue was never a recall, but there was a "service bulletin" put out over this. I've heard there was a "bad batch" of rubber used in some of the axles for that year, but that it would have showed up quickly.

In any event, I'm not complaining....

Dave
Old     (awf_axis)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-14-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Got my trailer fixed ... UFP had my axles waiting for me at Z-Marine (Reno) yesterday, and in just a couple of hours today, the new axles were installed by Jeff, the Service Mgr and his helper Steve (Z-Marine owner).

I can't help but feel like I should be doing something to show my appreciation. Both of them left the shop by the time I picked up the trailer today, couldn't even say thanks...

Any suggestions on a token of appreciation?

Dave
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-14-2006, 9:01 PM Reply   
wow, i was waiting for the bad ending. sounds like you scored.