Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    tommyj16            07-13-2004, 8:16 AM Reply   
Any thoughts????????????
Old    tommyj16            07-13-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   
Nobody knows anything
Old    svfara            07-13-2004, 12:48 PM Reply   
I've ridden one a couple times and I personally wasn't a big fan of the wake, I thought it was too wide and wasn't very solid... I think the speedo was off too, so I may have been going too slow, I kept having the speed raised and by the time I was done Perfect Pass was reading 26mph, that can't be right? Did feel a little bit better going faster though...

I'd prefer the VLX anyday (Wedge & MLS)
Old    rypayne            07-13-2004, 1:24 PM Reply   
it has a good wake and great wake if you get it with the ballast. its a great boat but don't get it with the escalade crap. that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. first, no one uses it. second it messes up the wake, the sides aren't equal. plus, if you wanted to, you couldn't put equal weighted sacs in the sides because the stupid locker is too small on the one side. anyway, its a great baot.
Old    oshensurfer            07-13-2004, 1:29 PM Reply   
You can get it without the walk through and have same size lockers on both sides.
Old    tommyj16            07-13-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
I figure the cyclone wake wont be as wide. I will see this week when I go for a test run.
Eric- what is a VLX? a Malibu
Old    norcalz71            07-13-2004, 3:30 PM Reply   
rode one this past weekend, just 3 pulls but enough to judge it, although that was actually the first time ive ridden behind a purpose built, v-drive wakeboard boat.

things i noticed:
1) with the full ballast and 10 people in the boat, the wake was HUGE at 70 feet, about twice the size of the wake from my ProStar, steeper, a harsh lip and very wide. However if i had more time and good water to get used to it, i think it would have rocked, just kicked me to hard at the beginning.

2) the speedo's did seem really off, speed was hard to keep constant.

3) the wake was huge, did i mention that?
ill be riding behind a wakesetter XTI and a Super Air next week, so ill let you know how they compare
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-13-2004, 6:56 PM Reply   
I have an 04 and love it. We do have the walkthrough transom and love it. We keep half the house and all the garage on the boat with no problem. The C4 has even more storage. The only advantage to the C4 is more storage and two hard tanks in the rear. I will not let people step all ovet the seats so that is why we have the walkthough. The wake is great and not for the faint of heart. No complaints at all.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-13-2004, 9:41 PM Reply   
See http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65919/167254.html

for pics of our buddy's ride. On a later trip we opened the floor up to troubleshoot the stock ballast (the empty pump was broke and the HD pulled it all the way to Havasu and back FULL - but it's an HD so no biggy, right, he still smoked the Sequoia/Epic up the Indio grade :-)

The stock ballast tank is really small. Papa crowe says there is an option for additional under-floor tankage so you'll want to check into that. Ballast in or out doesn't seem to make much difference.

What Spencer said...I agree with the hard kick comment, but as far as big goes, any boat with 10 people in it (except for that ragin wake-pontoon boat in the latest 'best boat' thread) is gonna have a really big wake. The question is, how fast do you have to go to get a clean lip at a decent rope length, right? The boat seems to crumble earlier than a less-steep wake would. It's definitely not a SAN wake, but smells like it.

The Avalanche is roomy in a sorta strange kind of way. It feels really deep and big from the helm. The fact that the walkway has steps in it is kinda wierd; cool and wierd at the same time. I couldn't really imagine not using the bow filler cushion cuz without it, the foot area would be worthless. I'd definitely do some redesign in the bow area. It's got the lift-up observer seat, and there's a ton of room in there - maybe enough to be a stabbin cabin if you're down.

Two favorite things about it are 1) snap-in carpet - doubles the cleanup, but will make carpet replacement really easy down the road, and 2) the rough-water ride is amazing. The v-drive Toyota was noted for its great ride, but mine ain't got nothing on the Avalanche. It would probably take a combination of big penis-extension boat wakes to make his CD player skip, where good wind chop will do mine.

The wake's fun stock. It's got the paddlewheel speedo but no PP, along with the 350 Magnum. Nice boat. Roomy in a wierd sort of way.

Since this was the second time his ballast has required service, and we figured out that it's set up for an intake and an exhaust pump, I suggested to Papa Crowe that he demand they switch the pumps to Rule 1100s. Centurion used some cartridge pumps, so they're not necessarily cheap, but the Rules would just pump so much more water so reliably. Doubt he's gonna listen to that though.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-13-2004, 9:50 PM Reply   
Well Ill state my opiion on the boat too since I own a 2002. The boat is great. I love the room it has and the wake. The few reservations I would have are how well the boat is made. I am having a lot of problems with things breaking on mine. I have had it for two years and only about 60 hrs. It seems like everytime I take it out something breaks and I have to take it in to have it repaired. By no means an I bashing the company. Im just very frustrated with mine and all of my problems. Im actually going to put mine up for sale once its fixed and purchase another boat, but it wont be a centurion. Good luck with your purchase.
Old    norcalz71            07-13-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
ill say that too, the rough water ride was great. we could blast through afternoon chop at any speed without bumps
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2004, 5:55 AM Reply   
Rod
You must be having the same kind of luck this guy is with his Xstar http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/178104.html?1089772008

I have an 04 Cyclone 30 hours 0 problems
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2004, 8:14 AM Reply   
Nice way of putting it Kevin. I know people with every brand of boat that has had a bad boat at sometime and you can search the threads and find them. As I said before we love ours and we have 60 hours on ours so far. A friend has an 04 also and has over 100 hrs and love it. I took a friend out that has only rides SAN's and after a day on the lake he could not believe the wake or boat. His words were, " I did not know there was another boat that was as nice or with as good a wake." Rod, 2002 was the first year they made the Avalanche so it is expected to have a few minor problems. I can't imagine that Fineline would not do whatever it took to fix it.

(Message edited by ef3529 on July 14, 2004)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2004, 8:23 AM Reply   
Eric,
2002 was not the first year they made the avalanche. I believe it was 2000. The problem im having is everytime I take the boat in it 150 to 225 bucks. My boat isnt under warranty so fine line will do nothing about it. I told my dealer I bought the boat once I dont want to but it again. That is the main reason Im going to get rid of it. I truly believe I got a lemon of a boat.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-14-2004, 10:45 AM Reply   
Rod, could you list the type of problems you are having.

Eric we have a guy with an Avalanche on our lake and he took a crew that ride behind an X-10 and when they saw the wake behind the Avalanche they were pissed. I just love to see that happen.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
Here is my list of problems I have had.
Tac went out
Paddle wheel went out
Bearing on the shaft strut seized up
Ballast impeller was sticking and blowing the fuses
Shaft strut packing was left too loose from the factory
Engine hesitation problme
Engine runs horrible above 4000 rmps ( the is what its in the shop for now)
Hatch motor went out - I have the elecrtic motor to open up the engine compartment
Tower bolts were loose from the factory - I had to tighten them up.
That is pretty much it. I know there small problems but its frustrating. I has a calabria pro comp before this boat. I put over 100 hrs on it without one problem.
Old    oshensurfer            07-14-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Rod,
I feel for you. I've had some of the same issues on my Hurricane, but ALL have been resolved satisfactorily and with no cost to me.

Can you explain what of those is costing you 150 -225 each time you take it in and whether any of those were covered by Fineline. The only thing I spend that kind of dough on is servicing my Hurricane. Have you contacted John over at Fineline? He's really gone out of his way for me. I don't know why he wouldn't do the same for you.

I will say this, looking at the 04's this year, they really have stepped up the quality in the Centurion line this year. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one...but that's just me.

(Message edited by oshensurfer on July 14, 2004)
Old    tommyj16            07-14-2004, 12:24 PM Reply   
I really like it because of how big it is for the price. All the others boats- san/x2 just seem so much smaller. And I hear the avalanche can handle rough water if we are just out cruising.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-14-2004, 12:52 PM Reply   
Scott,
The reason I have to pay out of pocket is because my boat is out of warranty. It only broke down once durring the warranty period. That was the ballast pump impeller. I havent contacted anyone at fineline. I really didnt think it would get me anywhere. The dealer here charges $50 per hour for his time plus any parts he has to use. I know I said this before but my boat is only 2 years old with 60 or so hours on it. I shouldnt be having so many problems with such a new boat. Im going to get it fixed this time and sell it. Im probally going to buy a SAN. Everyone I talk to loves them and have had very few problems.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2004, 2:29 PM Reply   
Scott

Sorry to hear that you have had problems but your list looks minute compared the
The poor Xstar guy.

2002 was the first year for the Avalanche
That was the only year they used the hydraulic hatch and they also used the same bidirectional ballast pump that many of the other manufactures used. They switched to
2 1000 ghp pumps one in and one out because of all the problems with the bidirectional pump. They quite using the hydraulic hatch for obvious reasons. The gauges that Centurion uses have a lifetime warranty.
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-14-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Rod, I am sorry that you are having problems. It sounds like the dealer you are taking it to is not taking care of you. If you or he would call Fineline I can almost guarntee you that they would take care of you. They must be doing something right, the west coast factory cannot keep up with demand and the North Carolina plant is having to ship to the west coast. The power problem over 4000 rpms should be with the Mercury engine. They had problems with the fuel pump and they should cover it.

(Message edited by ef3529 on July 14, 2004)
Old    oshensurfer            07-14-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
Kevin,
I'm not having issues. Rod is.

Rod,
I agree with Eric. Here's the deal. You HAVE to call the factory and tell them what is up. I'm going to email you to give you some info that will help. Shops are telling you your boat is out of warranty...and it is, but when you talk to the guys at the factory (one guy in particular) you will find that your issues will hopefully be resolved in a good way. This is one thing that Fineline is really doing a great job at. They take care of these minor issues. Not sure now because you are a little further along in your ownership, but I'd be surprised if you don't get some help...like free parts or something. I'll send you an email...
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-14-2004, 5:09 PM Reply   
Thomas, we have an 04 Cyclone. didn't want the extra size boat due to the extra gas usage in the boat and tow rig. Cyclone wake is just wide enough to cross without being intimidated. both sons and I use the 3 tanks at different amounts to suite out styles. The new Bennet hydraulic trim tab helps fine tune. If you don't have a problem staying in the 20 foot category, this is an awesome boat.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-14-2004, 5:17 PM Reply   
oops my bad
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2004, 6:30 AM Reply   
Rod, man I hate that you have had those issues. Most of those are typical issues, but I would have been frustrated about the strut bearing. Did the dealer ever say what caused that? When you say shaft strut packing are you talking about the flax packing? A good dealer will always go through a new boat from the factory and check everything, but it is hard to find a good dealer. Everytime I think about dealerships and how they treat customers it wants to make me open my own, because I know how anal I'am about things and I know what "CUSTOMER SERVICE" really means. Have you looked at the newer Centurions. They are looking better every year. I would not stike them of your list if I were you. I can't wait to get my Avalanche.
Old    ilovetrains            07-15-2004, 8:22 AM Reply   
price wise, what is the Avanlanche gonna run you? I have not looked at Centurian very much because it seamed price wise they were right on top of Malibu and Mastercraft, and I figured I would go with name I had heard more.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
Matthew

You should be able to save some money with a centurion. The V drives should start in the Low to mid 30's depending on model and options. A Avalanche would start in the mid to high 30’s
Looks like you are in MO Clarks in Alton IL would be your dealer. They are good friends of mine so I help them Promote the boats. If you want to go for a demo ride or have any questions let me know
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 10:01 AM Reply   
Good and honest info Kevin. Thank you. And for those who don't know Kevin IS a dealer. Those prices he posted seem very fair.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-15-2004, 11:51 AM Reply   
I saw an Avalanche at Anchor Bay in Alabama over the 4th and the price was $43,500.00 (Loaded) Included:

Tower
Perfect Pass
Bow Cover
Cockpit Cover
Cd Changer
Amp and Sub
Side Swipe Exhaust
Center Ballast
Dual Rear Ballast
Pop Up Cleats
Z Graphics

To me that is a great price. What do you think Kevin?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-15-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
Scott

I have friends that are dealers and another friend that is the Plant Manager at the North Carolina plant. I help Clarks with boat shows and demos, I have done some software work for Centurion, but a dealer not so much.

Lance
That looks like a good price for an Avalanche with those options.
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-15-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
Paid $41K for the 04 Cycone. Got the storm 3 package, flip up seat, tandem axel trailer, full travel cover, Pilot one guage, metal flake graphics, pull up cleats. Storm 3 package was the only only one that included the perfect pass, do not buy boat without it. Got ours in Maryland.
Old    oshensurfer            07-15-2004, 4:36 PM Reply   
Kev,
Dam. Could have sworn you were a dealer. Thought I read a post somewhere bout it. My bad..
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-16-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
THanks for the input about calling fineline. I called them today with my problems and spoke to John. He was useless as far as I am concerend. A lot of people say there customer service is great but the experience I had today was horrible.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2004, 10:52 AM Reply   
Rod, I hate to hear you had that experience as I have nothing but praise for their customer service. Unfortunetly, it may be to late to start calling the factory for some help. They are probably not going to refund any money that was spent on repairs to your dealer at this point. Most of your issues could have been prevented through your dealer before you ever boat the boat. As far as your motor is still under warranty. When I bought my boat I paid extra for the 5 year extended warranty. My motor is covered from head to toe for 4 more years. It gives me a little relief knowing I'm covered if something were to happen. Please do not get me wrong I'm not trying to make excuses for Fineline because I'am not in your shoes, but try to be opened minded about it because any and every boat will have issues.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-16-2004, 12:18 PM Reply   
I'm sorry. "As far as the motor is IT still under warranty?"
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-16-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
Hey Lance,
Dont get the wrong idea about my post. Im not trying to bash them but its dissappointing when you buy a 40+k boat and get not even a little help from the factory. As for my motor it is not under warranty. I didnt take out the extended because I have owned other boats with merc power and never had a problem. This is my really first bad experience with any boat and engine manfacturer. Like I said before im frustrated that I cant go out and enjoy wakeboarding for fear of my boat breaking down all the time. Im glad a lot of you guys have had good experiences with fineline. I just havent and its dissappointing.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-19-2004, 5:22 AM Reply   
Rod I understand where you are coming from. I would be frustrated just like you if I were in your shoes.
Old    ilovetrains            07-19-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
From what I can tell the Enzo is the largest model at 23 ft. I am not looking at naything smaller then 23. Local dealer did not have one, did not when he could get one, did not seem very interested in selling one, and said I would looking at "at least upper 50's."

That means it would be more than an:
X-30
Moomba XLV
Malibu LSV
CC 210/211
Tige 24V

Pretty proud of their boat or the local dealer is not very good.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 7:13 PM Reply   
Matthew

Not sure who you have been talking to??
Kansas City?
Any way Clark Boat and Motor Just outside of St Louis MO in East Alton IL has a Loaded Enzo in Stock it is in the upper 40's They might be wanting to move so they can get the 05's on the way.
http://www.clarkboatmotor.com/detail.asp?product_id=FNEK0946J304

I would sure hope it is more than a Moomba!

Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 7:16 PM Reply   
I got this picture of the Enzo off Clarks web site
I found you on the map you are close to Kansas City

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 19, 2004)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-20-2004, 7:18 AM Reply   
Well guys I finally got my boat back and it runs great. The dealer changer the fuel filter, fuel lines and a few other items regarding the fuel system. Total out of cost expense was only $50.00. My dealer took care of me this time.
Old    oshensurfer            07-20-2004, 8:01 AM Reply   
That's Great to hear Rod! Give it another 20 hours and see if you start to love your boat again.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
Rod, that is awesome to hear.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-20-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
Kevin, I can't remember if it was this board or the other board, but you posted a picture of an all red Avalanche. Would you happen to still have that picture and if so could you email it to me.(l_cook@bellsouth.net)
Old    ilovetrains            07-21-2004, 7:33 PM Reply   
aside from the fact the dealer is 4.5 hours away and 315 horse seams like not near enough, why should I consider the Enzo? Lord knows the dealer had no reasons.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2004, 8:15 PM Reply   
As I said in my post I help Clarks Promote the Centurions.
If you want to make the trip I can arrange for a demo ride
So you can check out the wake and the boat.
IMHO the Enzo has a great wake more interior room than
Any other comparable sized boat. Centurions will save some coin
Over the big 3 and still give you a high quality product