Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-27-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
I lost the us of a friends boat lift this year and need to find a way to dock safely without hitting the dock. Have any of you guys used one?? Any thoughts? Thanks
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-27-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
i think the "boat buddy" is a trailer accessory, not related to a dock? and if you are hitting the dock that much, you should probably take a little more time in practicing the fundamentals of maneuverability at slow speed..
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-27-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I have one but not going to install it on my trailer (not for docks) since my Centurion hull doesn't hit it right. I think they come with Mastercrafts.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-27-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
The mastercrafts work well with them because they have a v bunk to position the boat the same way regardless of ramp angle etc. there are a lot of people who have problems with them but their problems are mostly beacause their trailers weren't made for them
Old     (bhutch)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-27-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
If the trailer is in the water at the perfect depth, works perfectly almost 100% Of the time. Wife and I can pull the boat out in less than 2 minutes.Don't think it will work with anything else..as matt said trailer will guide boat right up to boat buddy.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-27-2008, 8:04 PM Reply   
I use one and their pretty simple but if you come in hot you can bang em up pretty good. This is a good reason not to drink to much then load your boat on a trailer. Lesson learned.
Old     (dailyssv)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-28-2008, 5:21 AM Reply   
They come with supra boat trailer and they suck I sell you one.
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-28-2008, 5:35 AM Reply   
www.boatbuddies.net This is what i am talking about. Looks like a pretty neat device.
Old     (lavinder)      Join Date: Mar 2008 Location: Gig Harbor, WA       05-28-2008, 6:59 AM Reply   
Whats wrong with throwing a fender over the edge? Am I missing something?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-28-2008, 7:34 AM Reply   
If I was going to leave a boat on the dock, as I often do, I would pick whips over those.
I have never used, or seen, them but I can guess a few problems. One would be people wanting to tie onto them. Another would be people using them as grab handles getting on and off, and the chance of them cracking as a result.
If you have a set of whips to hold the boat out and tie your boat to the dock using spring lines you won't have any problems.
Do a google for 'boat whips' and you'll find a bunch. Ones with a rocker hinge clear towers and racks better.
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-28-2008, 8:14 AM Reply   
What type of lift is it (I.E., floating, cable, etc)?
Old     (ironcross25)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-28-2008, 9:02 AM Reply   
It is not a lift it looks to be some kind of pole system that keeps your boat from hitting the dock. when you use bumper they can sometimes move on you. I emailed them to get some pricing. I let you guys know what i find out.
Old     (sse01)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-28-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
Sorry, I mis-read your first post saying you 'lost the use' of your buddy's lift.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-29-2008, 11:50 PM Reply   
Get yourself some mooring whips. They will be far safer. Can you imagine how scared up the aluminum trim on a Malibu would get with those?

Whoever owns that company should do some research & notice that the name of "Boat Buddy" has been used by a very popular product for a long time.

Heres another suggestion. I made a pair of these out of black PVC & some mildew proof rope for less than $30. Keeps my boat safe & sound without any bumpers.