Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-26-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
I have a mild dilemma, I have found a 1997 Sunsetter LX for $18,500 that I posted on before (BTW thanks for the great pics Lanzo)and now I just ran across a 1984 Nautique 2001 for $7000. The Nautique I could afford to pay for, the Malibu I would have to finance. The other nice thing is the Nautique is in my hometown of Boise, while the Sunsetter is in Reno. I can get the Sunsetter brought to Boise in a few weeks from one of my electrician friends who is working there temporarily. I am really torn right now, I love the open bow of the Malibu, but the wake of the Nautique would be hard to beat and it would be paid for. The Nautique has 353 original hours, and has always been stored indoors so I don't think the stringers would be a problem. It is in phenomenal shape for an 84. I don't know what to do! I hate these decisions! I need a GF like that Tim Monk then I would just go get a super air and it would take care of all this! JK. Oh what to do.
Old     (lrbs_xstar)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-26-2007, 8:43 PM Reply   
i would def. get the nautique because of the wake an the biggest thing is that it would be payed for so no worrying about bills and more money for gas
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-26-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Get a sport Nautique or a Super Sport Nautique.

But of those options, you won't be dissapointed witht the Nauti
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-26-2007, 9:00 PM Reply   
Why get a sport or super sport? Then he is back in the $14-20k and would have to finance. You wont be dissappointed with the nautique. Just make sure the floor and stringers are solid.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-26-2007, 9:17 PM Reply   
The 2001 is a great boat.

If you are on a budget and you can't get a v-drive (for the social aspect of wakeboarding) get a 2001. Thats my advice.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-26-2007, 9:23 PM Reply   
An extra $12k for a bow? Not worth it. Get the Nauti. Set up a monthly auto debit into a savings account with the money that would have been your boat payment and the money you will save on gas by going with the Nauti (take it from a 'bu owner, they chug the stuff). In a couple years use that money and what you can sell the nauti for and get a pimp V Drive.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2007, 10:31 PM Reply   
Buy both!!!
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-27-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Guys thanks for the opinions. A few more questions, would you be worried about the low hours (353) on the nautique? If I did a compression check would it possibly indicate if the boat had sat for extended periods? The exterior is in great shape, I just want to make sure the engine is sound and the seals wouldn't be dry etc. I think the only advantage the Malibu would have is that it possibly would require less maintenance as it is 13 years newer than the nautique. Also the Nautique doesn't have a tower so I would have to add that or possible an extended pole. I am really not a mechanic but guess I could learn as much as I can here and on the web.
Old     (sanddragon2004)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-27-2007, 7:52 AM Reply   
get the nautique! payments suck!

financing a toy you will only use half the year? unless you wakeboard in the winter in idaho???????
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-27-2007, 8:18 AM Reply   
Always do a compression test before you purchase a used boat. It will put your mind at ease and you a laying down your cold hard cash so making sure you have a solid boat is the only way to go. Adding a tower is pretty simple and working on a older engine like a Nauti 2001 is a lot simplier then the new engines out there. The big question you need to ask yourself is how many people do you plan to have in the boat at any single time. The 2001 is cramped to say the least especially when you sac it out to create that famous Nauti wake. If it is just you and a few friends that love to ride then the 2001 is the way to go. If you love to hang out on the lake with the girls in the bow then go with the Malibu. I myself am a wake guy so I got a used SAN and I have the best of both worlds.