Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 10, 2005

Old    mia            05-13-2005, 9:28 PM Reply   
have to replace a couple of bunkers..

is it okay to use composite lumber like trex or ipe (brazilian hard wood)...

any suggestions ????
Old    sunsetterlxi            05-13-2005, 10:37 PM Reply   
Mike just get some pressure treated lumber and the MARINE carpet at a home depot or lowe's. Don't forget to get staples made of a metal called K-monel. It resist corrosion better than regular old staples made of steel.
Old    clubjoeskier            05-13-2005, 10:53 PM Reply   
Yeah, what he said Mike....I made up some bunks for 2 of my jetskis. Piece of cake! (and for me, that sayin' sumpthin!) Have FUN Sunday!
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-14-2005, 11:21 AM Reply   
Don't use composite lumber for your bunks it's much too weak. Tim & Joe are right, use treated lumber, marine carpet, and stainless steel staples. Also check all your bolts & nuts, if they are not stainless I would change those out with stainless steel while you have them off also.
Old    mia            05-14-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
mucho gras!!! looks like a saturday project...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-14-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
Why are you replacing bunks already? Isn't that boat less than a year old?
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-15-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
First, make sure you really need to replace the bunks. I had a guy at a Nautique dealer tell me that I had better replace the bunks on 18-year-old trailer because they looked very rotted. So I went and replaced them. Well, it turned out these original cypress bunks were solid as can be. They just looked kind of funky on the bottoms where rusty staples had been removed when they were recarpeted several times. I wonder if my new much softer chemically-treated spruce bunks will last another 18 years.

Anyway, if you must replace the bunks, you could use cypress. If you want something cheaper and more readily available, you could do what I did and just get some ACQ pressure treated lumber and apply a couple of extra coats of preservative for good measure (I used Woodlife Coppercoat, available at my local building supply store). I felt that the extra perservative was necessary because my bunks required a bevel to be cut along the length, exposing the untreated (or less treated) core of the lumber. It's also always a good idea to treat the cut ends of pressure treated wood.

Also, as other have said, just be sure to use stainless hardware (bolts or lag screws) and the monel staples (might have to go to Boater's World or a similar store to get these--Home Depot, Lowes, and West Marine didn't have them).

Old    mia            05-17-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
mikeski - one of the bunks got hit from the tracking fin on a windy day- from what i was told,that should never, never happen..