Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2006, 6:23 PM Reply   
When and where exactly is this years double up contest going to be? can anyone spectate?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-06-2006, 7:06 PM Reply   
haha, nobody but parks knows.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-06-2006, 7:12 PM Reply   
Has Parks even been riding?
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2006, 7:35 AM Reply   
I know that its September 11- 14 but where at
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-07-2006, 8:21 AM Reply   
With the Parks D-up contest, the riders don't know the location untill the event is about to go down, or at least that is the way it has been in the past.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-07-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
hes had it on lake alfred in the past i rekon it will be in a sick location this year though....
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-07-2006, 9:58 AM Reply   
Why is the contest location a mistry untill its about to happen.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-07-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
they probably don't want boat traffic from spectators. i doubt they have a big enough staff to keep people from making wakes
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-07-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
It's a secret because that's how Orlando riders are. They keep it to themselves, go to the West coast or midwest and they like everyone and the fans involved.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-07-2006, 4:21 PM Reply   
They want to keep the water calm and they don't set up a big spectating venue. I don't agree that Orlando riders keep things to themselves however. I've never experienced it that way... if anything theres so many good lakes and so many good riders that things are always going down somewhere within the confines of Orlando and its outskerts.
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2006, 7:21 AM Reply   
i live in the orlando area and i never hear about events until the coverage comes out in wbm and then im like dang i really would have liked to go to that but didnt know it was happening. so i agree with melanie
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 9:19 AM Reply   
I guess its more of the crowd in which you hang out in.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2006, 10:19 AM Reply   
There goes Mel, startin sh.t again. I do agree that that statement was whack.

And if you don't know who Mel G is then your better off staying on the "B" Team.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2006, 10:43 AM Reply   
i actually agree with mel, the demographics of people are a little different, but it's also just a lot safer, less liability and all when you control who the crowd is. Plus it's supposed to be laid back, fun for the riders. Random spectators prob take some of the fun away, plus its Parks comp, and he can do what he wants. Plus, it sells more videos, and helps the media with coverage....... "B" team, thats a bold statement
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-08-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
"Do you know who I am? I don't know how to put this, but I'm kind of a big deal...People know me...I have many leatherbound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany...I'm friends with Merlin Olsen, he comes over, on occasion..."
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-08-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
I guess I'm going to stay on the "B" team.
Old     (wakeeater2003)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-08-2006, 10:53 AM Reply   
I am on the B team too.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-08-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
I think it has more to do with logistics than anything else as far as this event is concerned. If you open it up then responsibility and liability increases not only for the riders, but for the crowd as well. IMO, this is a way for all the pros to get together and ride for fun without all the distractions of the media, spectators, vendors, etc. Plus, like someone else said a few posts ago, its Parks' Party and he can invite who he wants...
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-08-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
Oh man, I didn't mean to start a war! From my experience of living here my whole life, that's just kind of how it is. Everything around here seems to be so low key and everyone has their clique. Not alot of people around here are open to meeting new people to ride with and getting involved with other riders. Unless you are with the "in" crowd, you don't know alot of what is going on. When I go to other places, everyone is so nice and loves having all riders together and it's a good time. There's alot of things that go on here and is kept a secret and unless your buds with a pro, you don't know what's happening. I agree it's his comp and he can do what he wants, same as with anyone else's comp. It's just that when I go to a different state, the love for riding is so much different. Take my whack statement as you will, but that's how it seems to work around here.

I doubt they don't tell anyone because of boat traffic. When it was held out at Parks' mom's place that's a private lake. There's no public boat traffic.

Hahn, you're on the "B" team anyway so I don't want to hear it!

Ok, I'm going back into lurking mode now...
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-08-2006, 11:09 AM Reply   
Tackleberry - .
I think I am on the "C" team.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-08-2006, 11:19 AM Reply   
Keep in mind that cliquey thing mainly goes for the pro riders, and their groupies. Those of us who are on the "B" team pretty much share the same love for riding as everyone else and are very inclusive. for example this weekend I am fulfilling my alumni duties and pulling a bunch of UF wakeboarders for a club event that is open to all students there. Also the following weekend about 20 of us are getting together to hang out all weekend at the lake.

Hooray for the "B" team!
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-08-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
Melanie, It sounds like High School all over again!

"Don't you know who I think I am?"
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Park's Double Up event is hardly a spectator occasion. It's for photos, video, and a kick-ass party at the end of the day with the cool-kid crowd. They even videotape it in order to judge later. Then they drink. He doesn't need a crowd, much less wants one, or even less wants to actually fund a full event complete with venue and parking. He wants someone to win some money by doing a rodeo 10 or switch heel 1080 with no distractions. Anybody whos anybody will be there on the day of the event and if you're not then you're just...well, B-Team.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
Come to think of it... doesn't Parks not announce until the day of to make sure the venue is butter!?!!

I do believe the first one held, the mags used that as a big part of the last minute venue selection.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
What is a rodeo 10?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
when your riding a bull and it jumps in circles 3 times.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2006, 12:21 PM Reply   
Heel side ole 540 with an extra 540. Andrew does a rodeo 9 - or a nose grab mobe 5 if he gets too inverted. He's working on the mobe 720--but it's so much more fun to call it a rodeo 10!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       09-08-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
hahahaha, paul, that's one of the funniest things I've read...

yes, it actually made me laugh out loud (or "lol" as people on the 'net like to say). bravo!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-08-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
Unneccesary drama, let it die. Mel did not start this, Chase did. She did not even offer the rebuttal, somebody else did it on her behalf. Chase called her out and tried to act like a smarty-pants without knowing what was really going on. He has now received a minor spanking, and his subsequent lack of posting is the most sensible and mature course of action - let it die and move on. Others should do the same.

It is true, Orlando is very clique-y, the west is different, one of the reasons my wife and I decided to go broke in order to buy a sh*tty house out here, as opposed to being pimped out back east.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-08-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
I think it would just be an Ole 9 and a back mobe 5, unless you expect the snowboarding terminology to stick.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-08-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Crappy house out west opposed to a pimped out one back east?!! Thats rather sterotypical don't you think?!!!!

Ment in a completely harmless tone!

As far as 'drama' and Mel... I don't think, by the tone I reading in anyways, that anyone was getting heated. This actually all seemed 'chatty'.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
First of all I didn't even make the team..... Second, all of us are not as popular and cool as Melanie. She knows everybody.

I was lucky enough to be invited to shoot Parks first Contest and location disclosure was to keep spectators, uninvited photographers, uninvited videographers and other boats off the lake. Parks releases this limited footage to the magazines and on video. Hence the super secret squirrel activity.

(Message edited by solo on September 08, 2006)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-08-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
On another note, I know Parks has been trying to bring the contest out WEST next year if at all possible. I have been lobbying for an Arizona venue.
Old     (riz)      Join Date: Apr 2006       09-08-2006, 2:13 PM Reply   
CIE: Yes, I agree with you on that terminology. But for a while when Watson was first doing the ts ole 5 they were rodeos acoording to some people. Alliance used the rodeo term when Adkison did the "rodeo" 9 last year as well. Ole is/was originally the surface 360 with an overhead spin of the arm/hand. So I don't know...I suppose I just want it to be "rodeo" when it's most likely going to stick with the "ole" for years to come.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-09-2006, 1:03 AM Reply   
Paul,
No harm taken, so no worries. I was simply stating a fact. I don't need to get into what we paid for our house in NorCal, because already this thread is hijacked, but put it this way... for the same money, a person could buy a new large luxury lake house back east and have a few 100K left over. I'm trying to understand you, but really I can't see what sort of stereotype that invokes. It's simply the economics of supply and demand, and I'm not bitching, because we choose to be out here and we like it. I'm not even sure how we got off on the tangent in the first place. If I started it, then I apologize. End hijack please.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-09-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
It isn't really so much being a clique as everyone makes it out. The pro riders are training and have so much time to get on the water and ride. The top riders are dedicated to a training regiment. They usually have one or two people they ride with. For instance, Josh and Dallas ride together every at a certain time. They get in 2 sets before x:xx o'clock. They might get a third set in the evening. You start adding one person you are almost doubling your time. Put 4 in the boat and it is an all day affair. If people come out and crowd up the lake then forget it. Rusty and Danny moved to their own house for the same reason. Too many riders to get much training in. And these were the so called "in crowd" riders.

It is a matter of survival. They have to ride a lot and every day. They have to ride with other pros. Not like those of us who like to ride and approach it strictly from a fun and social basis. Maybe Cali and the midwest don't do it that way but exactly how many pro tour riders do you see living there? I'm a midwesterner so it is not an insult. I have no idea who Melanie is but if she got her feelings hurt because the pros don't ask her to ride then she needs to understand.

Hey, I live in Indy and Peyton Manning hasn't once asked me to play catch.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-09-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Roger,

Mel works for World Sports and Marketing. She travels with the Pro Tour. I'm sure her feelings weren't hurt.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-09-2006, 10:25 PM Reply   
Hey Melanie, this is what you do to those who don't take you for a pull...
Upload
Love ya girl, see you in Fort Worth!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-09-2006, 11:23 PM Reply   
pretty much the reason i bought my own boat. cuz the "cool kids" never had room for me in their boat.

funny thing is i am now kicking their aZZ one way or another!
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-10-2006, 4:40 AM Reply   
Steven- exactly. How would you like it if no one in your office ever asked you to go out for drinks afterwards. Just kidding. I have no idea who she is since I am not part of the in crowd or the A team. I just think everyone expects the riders to open up their boats to everyone else and it just isn't realistic to expect pro riders to be a USAWaterski "Learn to Ride". Dan- how can you read WW and not know what events are coming up. This place has all the news fit to print about wakeboarding.
Old     (oldguy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-10-2006, 5:32 AM Reply   
Gotta Love Melanie G!! There with a smile from the early early Wednesday heats till the end.

The first face you see of the Pro Tour and a great first impression.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-10-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
Roger,

Most of these guys, during the season, are on the road doing clinics and demos for boat loads of people all across the country. I would imagine that when their home, they just wanna be left alone.
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 7:28 AM Reply   
Roger, while WW does tell me all about whats coming up, they do not tell me when it is where it is or if I need a special credential to be there. Some of the people who post info about certain events are on the "A" team and do not need it so they dont tell. You do not live in the orlando area so you do not understand what its like. Read all the posts on this page of people in this area, there saying the same thing as me. If your not in the "in" group then your stuck on the outside, and the only way to get to the "in" group is to go pro, which for 98%of us, isnt going to happen
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-11-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
Maybe you have to be pro to be in the 'in' group... as for the 'in' crowd, not true at all! Be nice, be personable, and show up to as many events as you can. Or just ride at OWC alot!
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-11-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
This format of this contest is designed to get great riding from the best riders in the world on video. The organizers understandably want exclusive video, thus the time and location are kept secret until the last minute.

Parks' mom does not live on a private lake, as was incorrectly stated earlier. I believe minimizing boat traffic and a crowd on the shore is a large part of the reason for secrecy.

The Orlando scene may be cliquey, but there is good reason for this contest being on an undisclosed weekday morning. Cliquiness has little to do with this.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2006, 11:43 AM Reply   
Dan_ I thought you were talking about tournaments. What events are you looking for?
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Im talking about demos, rail jams, video premiers, and pro rider gatherings
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       09-12-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
The first I heard about the details (dates) of this contest was just now when I logged into this thread.... Hmmm so I called Shaun on his cell.... 3:15pm 9/12 and I asked - "So how come I didn't know about this" or "Wasn't invited" might have been what I really meant.. He said something about the "B Team" ... JK... and said he was about to ride in 20 minutes. He said he didn't know what he was going to throw yet.
So don't feel alone in this "not invited" thing......
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-12-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
I talked to Andrew yesterday and he said he might be attempting an ole 1080 and/or a nose mobe 7. Wish I was there.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-12-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
Midwesty, if you are ever in my neck of the woods you can ride along in my boat..and yes its the cool boat
Old    livinlovin            09-12-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
If Andrew through that I wonder which part would be the Ole? But it would be sick either way!
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-13-2006, 6:53 AM Reply   
It went down yesterday in Orlando, and it was unbelieveable.....Here is a little teaser for you.
Upload
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-13-2006, 6:59 AM Reply   
Come on!!! You got to tell us what happened! Did harf land the 1080??
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-13-2006, 7:01 AM Reply   
It is on the main page here. No 1080's but close attempts.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-13-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
No 1080, but lots of sick riding. Maybe later tonight, I'll get a chance to post a few more if you want...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       09-13-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
We'll have a full photo gallery up after the awards ceremony. Look for it on Monday. Here is a teaser...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-13-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
i take it parks didnt ride?
Old     (dkmode34)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-15-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
tht pic of murray goin big gives me a semi
Old    murrayair            09-15-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
I wonder how the world looks from way up there.
Old     (toby_yeo)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-16-2006, 3:21 AM Reply   
thats weird looks like his riding a smaller board? the new murray 138 i think it is...is white and blue. the black on is the 132

hmmmm intresting
Old     (manda)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-16-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
who is the dude in the monster III white hat??
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
looks a little like swatson, but i can't tell
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-16-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
josh saunders
Old     (norcalwwa)      Join Date: May 2006       09-16-2006, 1:36 PM Reply   
Is that Josh to the left and I thought he was sponsored by Red Bull?
Old    xtreme            09-16-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
the guy in the monster hat is Daniel watkins
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-16-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Toby,
He is riding a 132. He took one out at the camp one day just for fun and really liked it, and has been riding one ever since.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2006, 4:42 PM Reply   
no, the white monster hat three from the left (between sanders and jd/ike), not the black one watkins is sporting. almost positive it's watson
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-16-2006, 7:22 PM Reply   
duh, I was looking at the wrong hat, sorry!! That is Watson!Upload
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
its left to right.... murray, sanders, watsons, then Brett E. bent over
Old     (manda)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-17-2006, 1:15 AM Reply   
thanks guys!! looks like dean smith a bit?