Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2014, 9:05 AM Reply   
A buddy of mine and amazing rider was up to his parents cabin (where I live full time) and we were out riding last night.... same night as a local bass tourny was being held on the lake.

We hit the water at like 6:45 to both get a set in before 8:00p (when the lake cuts off skiing) ... everything was going great until we approached one section of the lake that narrows quite a bit .... laws state when making a wake, you must be 100 ft from other boats and the shore, literately not possible with two boats in this section, so everyone does your best.

The fisherman is planted dead center of this narrow area, so we have to go by one way or another .... the drive (buddy's dad) picks a side, hugs the shoreline and then all hell breaks loose.

....as we are passing by the fisherman winds up like he trying to hit a baseball, two handed power cast RIGHT AT THE RIDER (my buddy) and mself (filming from a tube). Like slow motion we see the lure fly through the air at us, ends up grabbing the mainline and wrapping up, then sliding down to the handle and hooking my buddy. Finger is cut up pretty bad from the line / hook / whatever.

He drops the handle and just starts cussing them out, boat eventually gets back and his parents go off too because it was the stupiest thing I've ever seen... just downright dangerous.

The guy denies even doing it at first and calls us liars. Then we hold up his lure and the line still hooked into the handle, then I say I have it all on film (which I did) and my buddy's girlfriend got it filmed from the boat too .... at that point he is changes to "It was an accident, no harm no foul" ..... again we say we have video of him spinning 180* in his chair, "power casting" right at us.... then he starts to say he is sorry and this and that.

.... we got to shore, put the video on a pc, called the cops and let them take over. Cops said we were "too close" to them, they should have never been able to cast that far. The line still hooked to the rope was over 100ft (obviously pulled out by the moving boat though) and we showed the video that was hard to judge distance, but he knew that narrow spot and said he would talk to the guy. The cop came back like 45 minutes later and said he didn't arrest him but gave him two fines (disorderly and something else).... also talked to the guy who ran the Bass Tourny and sounds like he won' t be allowed to participate....

.... seriously, it was our first time going past him all evening, stayed as far away as possible (probably 75 ft or so), and this ******* ruined the night.

The run in:

On a positive note .... heel 9 getting close

Last edited by sidekicknicholas; 07-17-2014 at 9:10 AM.