Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (jjakober)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-30-2003, 9:53 AM Reply   
I had a chance this to ride Shapiro’s new wakeboard from O’Brien, the 141 Demented and this board is killer!!!

Here is a little background of my wakeboard preferences: I have always ridden 3 stage rocker boards because I liked the pop and I didn’t feel like I could get it from a continuous rocker board. The thing I didn’t like about 3 stage boards is they seemed slow to me especially when cutting toeside, I’m sure it has a little to do with my technique, but after riding for 13 years I figured I just had to live with it!!

So I took the Demented out, which has continuous rocker with a slight kick at the tip and tail, I had never ridden a Shapiro signature board but I figured it would be fast but I wasn’t sure about the pop. The board was definitely fast, I couldn’t believe how fast it was coming in toeside. It got on edge and then it was off to the races with very little effort. Now it was time to see how it pops. BOOM!!!! This board pops as hard as any 3 stage board I have ever ridden (even the O’Brien Harris)!! I didn’t think it was possible for a continuous board to pop so well. My toeside jumps were insane, I was getting 6 feet of air easy and I felt much more comfortable coming into the wake toeside because I didn’t have to work so hard to get the speed. The landings were very soft because the bottom of the board has a……Instead of me trying to explain it to you here are the spec’s direct from Chris Johnson of O’Brien who designed the board with Shapiro:

The Demented 141 is 17" wide and has 2.45" of rocker. The underside is dual concave, kept full under the feet but flattened a bit in the center of the board to keep a good sweet spot. The edges are beveled. The deep-cut center channel and step down rail allow the tail of the board to sit-down while cutting to the wake. The fins are mounted more inwards than you usually see on a quad-fin board - this allows the board to roll on-edge smoothly and helps the board establish proper board angle on your approach. The raised deck is called the "Elevated Composite Deck". We have created this deck to give us precise control over the strength & flex of the boards. If you look at the contours, you can see they are significant in the center of the board, so the middle area (where 90% of boards break) is very strong and stiff (which contributes to the hard pop). Around the bindings the contours are reduced to allow flex under the feet on landings. The deck is finished off with 3 ribs running out the back of the board for snap off the tail of the board.

One thing Chris forgot to mention is that the tip and tail are much wider then any board Shapiro has ever ridden, I think this also adds to the incredable pop that you get from the board.

For those of you that are looking for a new board, you owe it to yourself to check out the Demented. This goes out to all you 3 stage riders also!!! I guess it’s true what they say “You will never know till you try it”

Later,
jjakober

graphics
bottom
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-30-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
I remember shapiro saying that he liked a super-clean bottom on his board. Looks like there is a whole hell of lot going on underneath that thing. whoa.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-30-2003, 10:31 AM Reply   
the bottom looks very similar to the new Origin. I like it. Too bad their website still showcases the 03 stuff.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
What a review! Are you on their payroll? ha ha
Oh, and has it been 13 yrs already since the Skurfer changed watersports forever? Damn, time flys.
The board looks like a good ride. It's a really progressive shape and no doubt about the belly - good stuff.
Old    stormrider            09-30-2003, 10:56 AM Reply   
Great info. Faster in toeside, soft landings, rolls on edge and gains speed quick-- nice features. I can't believe how fast boards are developing. We've come a long way from the Hyperlite HotRod, that's for sure.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-30-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
looks/sounds like a very cool board. i've been thinking about trying a new board with more pop but not a 3-stager, like the premiere. this sounds like it could be a nice blend.

thane, darin does say that - but he means he doesn't want any drag on the board. if this board is as fast as advertised that's probably not a problem. and for someone who puts the board on edge as much as he does, the middle bottom probably doesn't drag much as it's hardly in the water! :-)
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Watkins new board looks pretty tight also.
I like what O'brien has brought out in 04'.