Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (kevyb)      Join Date: May 2007       08-21-2007, 7:56 PM Reply   
I was at lake clementine in northern ca last weekend and had a sheriff stop me for surfing and said its illegal. How can I get around this?
Old    surfdad            08-21-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
Print out the regulation contained in this:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/442054.html

Won't get you out of having people hanging over the sides, sitting on the sunpad or overweight the boat however.

Probably best to give the office a call and talk about the issue, sometimes it's just an over-zealous and under-informed deputy.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-21-2007, 10:15 PM Reply   
I was surfing there about 2 weeks ago and they didn't stop me from wakesurfing. Didn't see the po po's during the wakesurfing. They were there on the lake but the po po's have stepped up their patrol on the lake for the past 2 months.
Old     (nanci)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-22-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Jeff - Good job supporting, nice to know that you're still on the planet/blueturns.com
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-22-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
They have done the same thing to me here in wash. (american lake)I was extremely mad, until 15 min. later when the police came and apologized for reading the regs. wrong.Needless to say , I think it was pretty cool of him to do that. Now all lakewood police know the law and leave us alone. Remember be nice and don't piss off the cops.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-22-2007, 2:52 PM Reply   
Anthony, Wow, that was cool that the cops recognized that they were wrong and then coming back to tell you that you were okay... I would call that cops' supervisor and provide some good words about about that cop. They also like to hear the good things that have been done and too few people recognize that.

(Message edited by dabell on August 22, 2007)
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-22-2007, 3:26 PM Reply   
I haven't had to pull it out yet, but i keep a copy of the Washington regs with my registration on the boat. Last year this was a hot topic here on WW and it inspired me to print it and carry it. Surprisingly the police on Lake Washington have left us alone and we see them almost every time out. props to them for doing so.
Old    surfdad            08-22-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
NANCI!!!!!! So good to hear from you. How are things up in Oregon and when are we going to see another contest up your way? :-)

Take care and regards from Judy and James too!
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-23-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
Hey gp can I get a copy of the regulation for Wash. ? Thanks, T
Old     (kevyb)      Join Date: May 2007       08-23-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice! I have a call in to one of the lake sheriffs that I know so I'll go over that info with him and then keep it in the boat just in case. THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-23-2007, 2:37 PM Reply   
Anthony - I will look for the links and PM you and post them here.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2007, 9:20 AM Reply   
Thanks gp!
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-24-2007, 10:09 AM Reply   
I haven't made it to my boat yet (mored on the lake) but here is what I think i have printed... it was my attempt to be prepared if they tried to claim i was "teak surfing" so that i could educate them on the difference (politely of course)

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79A.60.660

(Message edited by goinboardn on August 24, 2007)
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-25-2007, 12:38 PM Reply   
Here in KY I took the cops out surfing. They had a great time.
Old     (nanci)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-10-2007, 5:27 AM Reply   
Jeff - Let's do a contest next summer, work early on some sponsorships. I just got back from Lake Mead where, apparently, wake surfing is illegal ... you have any info on Nevada regs? Hey enjoyed the pics of you guys on the toy thread! Nanci
Old    surfdad            10-10-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Hey Nanci, I'd like to get a contest going up in OR.

Unless something has changed RECENTLY, wakesurfing is legal in NV.

http://ndow.org/about/pubs/oj/spring06/boat.pdf

Scroll down to the teak surfing made illegal segment and about 3/4 of the way through it specifically mentions wakesurfing as being OK. :-)

NV "banned" teak surfing back in...'03 I believe and then made it illegal in '05. They are an adopter of the NASBLA model law.

You do have to wear a PFD, so...if THAT wasn't a problem, maybe just an uniformed deputy?

Keep in touch, please.
Old     (monkey)      Join Date: Oct 2002       10-10-2007, 2:27 PM Reply   
Just wondering, are the police issuing citations, or just telling people to stop? Has anyone tried filing a harrassment lawsuit? A court settlement like this could set a very compelling legal precedent.