Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 14, 2007

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-12-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Got an Indo board as a gift recently. How do I use this thing to help my wakeboarding? And what exactly does it do? Just strengthen the legs and help your balance?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-12-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Pretty Much.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-12-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
It isnt going to turn you into a pro overnight, but what it will do is help you stick some of those sketchy landings that you would normally fall on.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-12-2007, 2:16 PM Reply   
Ya just strengthens the leg muscles and helps with balance. I think it is better to use it while watching tv over just sitting around. I really think it helps you bring in the sketchy landings too.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-12-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Bob, it has revolutionized my riding, but not because I'm better truly, but because I don't get hurt. Doing squats holding 50 lbs of weight on the indo has really built up the small muscles in my knees. I had torn my right ACL and left MCL, my knees felt 20 years older than my 33 years. After using the indo board for the last 2 years...I have 0 pain crouching down...and that means 0 pain on wake jumps into the flats, etc. etc. My knees feel better than they have since I was 16.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
What everybody else said, strengthens the core and helps A TON with your balance.

oh, and something else nobody mentioned, it's FUN!
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       09-12-2007, 3:04 PM Reply   
Also, it can help with foot positioning and landing balance for wakeskating moves like varials and shuvits.
Old     (wake_to_wake)      Join Date: May 2007       09-12-2007, 4:55 PM Reply   
It also gives you something to laugh at when your noncoordinated friends come over and fall flat on their face trying it.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-12-2007, 5:38 PM Reply   
jack - that's one of the best parts about the Indo Board!

Oh, and I forgot about working on shuv's and ollies and varials on it, if you're into that sort of thing.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-12-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
The video that comes with the board has a bunch of good stuff. See if you can get a copy. Fun stuff!
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-13-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
Loren, Glad to hear it seemed to help your knees. I've had knee problems most of my life and am always looking for new ways to strengthen my legs.

Byrd, dang, I was hoping to ride the tour next year.

(Message edited by chaser on September 13, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-13-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
I tried one at the MC dealership and fell on my arse. Shot the board across the room. They freaked out thinking I might sue them or something. There is now a sign saying try at your own risk or something.
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       09-13-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
actually, there's a warning on the boards themselves.

I bought the skate style one they have (the skinny one with the kicktails), and since have made 2 other boards myself. One I shaped from my old LF Squirt and sized it down a hair (still pretty big though, nice and stable, kids love that one), the other one I formed exactly like the basic one they sell (smaller oval shape).

for the ultimate challenge (and for the experienced indo rider), set the roller on it's end, put the board on top of it, then (using something to hold onto) climb up on top and try to "drop in" on the cylinder.

acid drops off the couch onto the roller are fun too..
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-14-2007, 9:52 AM Reply   
I'm going through PT right now for a partially torn ACL in my left knee and my therapist actually recommended getting one and doing squats like Loren said.