Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-02-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
New to the forum, but not new to boats, forums, etc. I have been trying to get a new Exile system installed this winter before the season, and have gotten it finished right in the nick of time. John (jonyb) has been working on this install for me for the past several weeks, and it is finally finished. He posted some pictures of it, and I thought I would share them here. Here is a list of the new equipment:

All Exile equipment.
4--Exile XM-7 Tower speakers
6--XT65 Cabin Speakers
2--S400.4 Amps (each amp runs two XM-7s)
1--Xi800.4 Amp (running Cabin speakers)
1--Xi1500.1 Amp (running Sub)
1--Big12 Sub
1--WS 420 Equalizer
1--SPP 2150 Stinger Battery (Stereo Battery)
1--SPP 925 Stinger Battery (boat battery)

That is the jist of it. All this going in a 2007 Moomba Mobius LSV 21ft. The boat is Sandrock and black. Compared to what I had before (stock crap) I believe that this system will probably take a little time to get accustomed to.

Here are a few pics.......

Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-02-2010, 10:33 PM Reply   
Damn, that looks awesome, real clean. You should be rockin this summer
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-02-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
Ya super clean install. Enjoy the summer with that sick setup.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-03-2010, 3:53 AM Reply   
Oops, small mistake up above. All of the stereo equipment is Exile with the exception of the WS 420. Wetsounds has everyone beat with that little EQ. That is the best on the market.
Old     (bmr82)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-03-2010, 4:55 AM Reply   
Super sweet install. Very nice.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-03-2010, 6:21 AM Reply   
Sweet install mine is almost done full exile set up as well. Will post pics soon.
Old     (mmandley)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2010, 6:26 AM Reply   
Looking sweet man, i like the amp racks and the voltage displays by the drivers seat.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-03-2010, 7:11 AM Reply   
Looks amazing! Good install work by jonyb. You get a chance yet to take it out and hear it on the water yet? Might want to invest in some ear plugs and a loss of hearing wavior form for the passengers in your boat.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-03-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesack View Post
Looks amazing! Good install work by jonyb. You get a chance yet to take it out and hear it on the water yet? Might want to invest in some ear plugs and a loss of hearing wavior form for the passengers in your boat.
I am going to pick the boat up from John later this week. I can't wait to hear it, but I bet it will be overkill.........but heck.....what's a little overkill
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
Dialed. Looks good. Finshing up one also. Prelimiaries show it is extremely loud and sounds amazing. Were did these guys come from all of the sudden?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-03-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Really like the addition of the stinger voltmeters. I'm doing something similar too so I can see how much juice I have left in the stereo battery.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-03-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawshogg View Post
Dialed. Looks good. Finshing up one also. Prelimiaries show it is extremely loud and sounds amazing. Were did these guys come from all of the sudden?
Phoenix Gold...........................
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
Are you in paducah (Lake Barkley / KY Lake area)? John is ruining the lake - EVERYONE is gonna have a loud system now! I'm not cool anymore! hahahah
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-03-2010, 2:29 PM Reply   
Wow!!
That looks super clean.
I agree...Where did these guys come from? Great product line and well thought out engineering. I appreciate and respect that they seem to really listen to input about how to make their products better for the marine environment and what the end user is looking for. Looking forward to more of their product line in the future

I would agree with the idea of the WS420, but not a big fan of the design or the marine application for adjustments on the go. The dials are too small for adjusting for different functions while dealing with the environment of being on a moving boat.
At least the market really likes them and the value hasnt gone away. I was able to sell mine for what I paid for it 2 years ago.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-03-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclevoy View Post
Oops, small mistake up above. All of the stereo equipment is Exile with the exception of the WS 420. Wetsounds has everyone beat with that little EQ. That is the best on the market.
How does the PA system work on the WS 420? I am thinking about buying one just for this feature. I think it would be cool to be able to talk to my kids while they are out on the rope.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-03-2010, 2:43 PM Reply   
I did not have good luck with the PA. If you turned the gain up at all it created noise in the system. You had to turn the gain down all the way so everytime you wanted to use it you would again have to turn it up. That sucked. I also agree that for use in the marine setting the knobs are to small, don't like the recessed knobs on the outside that always get accidently moved while on the go. I also didn't like the fact that the sub was tied only to the cabin speakers. If you wanted to fade out the cabin and just roll the towers you had no sub to compliment them. I got rid of mine and will just use volume control knobs.
Great Idea.... Poor execution for my useage anyways. Needs a redesign IMO.
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-03-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
My experience was for a high output system that the PA function created a noise and the high output amplified the noise to a level that was annoying.
The functions on the EQ were great, but just not user friendly.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
I haven't had any of my customers with the 420 complain about the noise.... The one in my boat is 2 years old and it doesn't have that problem either.

Thanks for the compliments on teh install.

Clayton, Jason boat's on Dale Hollow, so you're still cool
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Killer install again JB clean, clean, clean! OP nice equipement you're gonna be loving that system.

Exile is definitely moving the meter and putting out some killer stuff that is only getting better.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-03-2010, 5:35 PM Reply   
Exile has been phenomenal about this install. They were working on a sub enclosure to go under the helm on another Moomba. I saw the pictures, and asked (halfway through my install) if they could possibly fab one for my boat. It wasn't cheap(competitively priced though), but it was well thought-out and they worked extra hard to get one ready for my boat in time. I haven't seen it in person, but I am very excited regarding this aspect of the install.

Brian at Exile has been incredibly helpful during this whole process.

Last edited by jclevoy; 05-03-2010 at 5:37 PM. Reason: grammar
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2010, 6:38 PM Reply   
Let me know how the thread goes on the Moomba forums. I was banned again, most likely by Ed G, because of a remark in the "Amp and speaker suggestion" thread where I said something about the tightwad members over there that buy from the Talibans that run the online crook sites that sell products they aren't authorized to sell. Those are the people that PM me and all the other car audio people endlessly asking questions, but then go to the online places that take money out of the country, thus putting a strain on their local economy and not supporting their local dealers.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-03-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonyb View Post
Let me know how the thread goes on the Moomba forums. I was banned again, most likely by Ed G, because of a remark in the "Amp and speaker suggestion" thread where I said something about the tightwad members over there that buy from the Talibans that run the online crook sites that sell products they aren't authorized to sell. Those are the people that PM me and all the other car audio people endlessly asking questions, but then go to the online places that take money out of the country, thus putting a strain on their local economy and not supporting their local dealers.
It seems like there is somewhat of a disconnect over there. Members want a killer system, but they want to pay $500 for it. IMHO, you get what you pay for. Either it be Wetsounds, or Exile or some other comparable system.............All of them are going to be similar ballpark for comparable stuff. Anyone is going to be hard-pressed to get something decent for that kinda money.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-03-2010, 11:18 PM Reply   
Hey guys -

Great to see your system done at last. It's going to be a head turner for sure. Your cabin setup should have some serious punch to it and the towers will be crazy loud. Ultimately, you'll have to be the judge for yourself when you get her out on the water. Send us some pics and we'll post them on the site. Thanks for all the kind words and props!

JohnnyB - Great install. Job well done. I always prefer the simple clean understated installation. Again, great job. Sorry to hear about you working a Ban. I'm sure they'll simmer down.

HateNPain - We're trying man! Actually just started to ship HARPOONS today. Was great to see them leave for their new homes across the country. Yes David@Earmark, yours are on the way too. I'm sure you'll be reading this as your reaching for your phone. hehe!

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 2:59 AM Reply   
Brian, I don't care about the ban. I only went over there to help on the audio threads, and got kicked in the teeth by people like Jason is talking about. The guys that wanna spend $50 on JL Audio speakers that have the serial numbers cut out of the spiders, or the ones that wanna send endless PM's to me and the other audio guys asking all sorts of questions, then go support the foreign people that run the cut-throat businesses on the internet.

The fact is, car audio and small businesses have gone to the *****ter thanks in part to the internet. It's gotten to where most small businesses can't even make enough money to pay the bills, but according to Razzman, that's too much money and Joe's local business is being greedy. What Razzman doesn't understand is that "Joe's local business" pays out about 20% tax in just his labor cost, payroll, payroll tax, rent, insurance, tools, and a bunch of other fee's that keep money out of his pocket. Not to mention that buying from the places on the net (such as million buy or sonic), he's supporting foreigners.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-04-2010, 3:21 AM Reply   
super clean!
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-04-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Brian at Exile is really one of the Best guys and really got me going in the right direction on a budget. If you have exile questions don't hesitate to bug him. He then will forward you to a quality dealer to sell you and install you. I could not be happier!! He is a twin dad and gets no sleep so he is usually up all hours.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-04-2010, 7:15 AM Reply   
Looks good JCLevoy! I've been following the progress for a while. Your going to love how it sounds!
JB sorry to hear about being banned. You always have good feedback and insight on the forums. I really enjoy seeing your work.

Cheers!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
I only went over there to help on the audio threads, and got kicked in the teeth by people like Jason is talking about. The guys that wanna spend $50 on JL Audio speakers that have the serial numbers cut out of the spiders, or the ones that wanna send endless PM's to me and the other audio guys asking all sorts of questions, then go support the foreign people that run the cut-throat businesses on the internet.

Nobody kicked you in the teeth jony, you kicked yourself. What started out as a simple thread to help a guy on a budget you turned into a bashing thread on the perils of internet purchasing. You obviously didn't get the point, nor do you seem to recognize that some people don't have the budget to do your type of installs. Some people are forced to shop on the cheap if they want anything. I applaud you for your work, it's nice stuff. But your people skills suck plain and simple and there was no call for the way you came across. You referenced one member who asked your advice stating "I helped you even though your not a paying customer", did he not buy a WS-420 from you and need help? Yet you twisted it to try and get your point across.

"The fact is, car audio and small businesses have gone to the *****ter thanks in part to the internet. It's gotten to where most small businesses can't even make enough money to pay the bills, but according to Razzman, that's too much money and Joe's local business is being greedy. What Razzman doesn't understand is that "Joe's local business" pays out about 20% tax in just his labor cost, payroll, payroll tax, rent, insurance, tools, and a bunch of other fee's that keep money out of his pocket. Not to mention that buying from the places on the net (such as million buy or sonic), he's supporting foreigners."

Another assumption on your part and again where you got ahead of yourself without facts. I understand way more than you'll ever understand or can comprehend. So as there's no confusion here jony i'm going to prove it to you. Unlike your statement all internet audio dealers are foreigners taking the money out of country without any facts to back it, i will.

I co-owned a $5 million dollar a year light commercial glass business that was very successful until the recession hit and literally put us and thousands of other businesses out of business because nobody was spending. We were lucky to clear 15% a job when all was said and done, $25,000 a month in union payments, $10,000 a month in fuel, $32,000 month in payroll, $3500 a month in rent, $35000 average a month in materials. I would have to bid jobs and price them to compete. See the picture below? We won the bid on that job and eventually charged the client $960,000 for that job and made a clear profit of less than $120,000. Don't tell me i don't understand.

What YOU didn't get is that everyone can be competitive if they'd just price accordingly and fairly and i stated that but I noticed you omitted that part. I also stated if Joe's local biz would cut his margin from 35-40% down to around 25% plus his inflated install fees he could still make money and gain more customers didn't i? But again you omitted that fact. I buy online because i get a good deal and not from any one online vendor because i can't see paying inflated prices if i don't have to. I install my own because i enjoy doing so not because i'm cheap. Your only defense was warranty and support/question assistance. That's great, not everybody cares as i said but you don't get that either. You have a hardon for people that go around dealers, get a bad deal or two online? Get over it. If your going to quote peolple get your facts straight before you do jony.

Another fact to set straight, you got banned on the Moomba site for your attitude, calling people out and racial comments. Those sites are owned by Skiers Choice and unlike here where anybody can get away with virtually anything, that's not tolerated on manufacturer sites but you didn't get that either.

Again i'll say your work is beautifull and well thought out and in no way reflects on anything i've said here. I'm not slamming you, just setting the record straight with the facts as you mis-quoted me here. I don't feel the need to go any further with this and i'll still enjoy looking at your installs.
Attached Images

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 1:37 PM Reply   
wow, you've even gone as far as to ban me from the Supra forums huh? What a big man you are. I didn't even say anything on there. Let me guess, it's part of SC, will be your answer.... Big bad moderator with that big ole ban stick... Thanks bub!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
No here's my answer ... I'm not a mod over there. As usual get your facts straight before calling someone out. I guess you offended someone there too. Thank yourself
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Then why does it say "Super Moderator" under your name over there? And you also said "All, I apologize for any confusion, as I've had to delete some of the posts". So you're not a moderator, but it says Super Moderator under your avatar, and you "deleted some of the posts". Sounds like a mod status to me.....

Last edited by jonyb; 05-04-2010 at 3:35 PM.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-04-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Jony i have no clue why it shows over there too, it shouldn't if it does and i've never noticed. I've been up front with you and have no reason to lie about it nor any reason to do so even if i did have rights over there, i'm not that way. That "Super Moderator" is the category for all the mods on both sites.

Hey i've an idea, let's just forget this crap and let JC enjoy his thread on his install? Which btw is a super clean install.

Last edited by razzman; 05-04-2010 at 3:41 PM.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
So you're not a mod, but it shows "super moderator" on both sites, but you're not like that. Got it. So someone, not you, and not Ed G, has banned my IP address on Supra forums, and my username on Moomba forums, but it wasn't either of you? It wasn't Rick T, because he's "checking on it". If you're a moderator, you can ban/delete. IF you're not, then you can't do either.

Not that I care, but if you're not lying, then you're not lying, or are you?

Give me some popcorn Clayton!
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-04-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
Jesus jony you just don't quit huh? Yes I'm a moderator on Moomba, yes I banned you on Moomba for violating the policies, No i'm not a moderator on Supra, no i'm not lying. What part didn't you get? You were banned before and still didn't get it and whined to get back then. You were given a chance and did it again. Man up dude.

Jony I was trying to make nice here, i have nothing against you but as you insist on being a dick i'll call it good on behalf of WW and out of respect for David Williams and won't repsond to your childish ravings anymore. Your call bubba? And you wonder why you got banned.

And to jclevoy and the rest of WW I apologize jony had to bring this crap over here.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2010, 4:15 PM Reply   
I brought it here, but don't forget who else contributed to it. And I didn't see anything childish on here, just questions. Does that frustrate you?

You said you weren't a moderator, I took that as you weren't one on the Moomba forums. Don't quit? Does it hurt to ask a question?
Old     (sled491)      Join Date: May 2010       05-04-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
Dude sounds like your preaching to the choir. It's tough out there for all. I'm the president of a construction company that I spent a decade building. Months on the road away from my family and my time on the water. Today I'm president of me and 2 guys trying to get by. Let me ask you this, you ever buy stuff from HD or Lowes? You ever put it in yourself? Maybe get some buddies to do it for cash? You know you do, or did. It is killing me and my family and the families of the 12 guys I had to let go this year. It's the same thing with your business for sure.

But to put some things straight, Razz isn't your problem or your enemy. He is a moderator on the Moomba forums, but not on the Supra forum. You were banned because you got carried away with your rant. Rants are OK, but they can't be racist or demean people.

I've sided with you on more than one occasion or added to your point but you were on high watch because you tend to go off, and guess what...you went off, so you were banned. Razz is taking the high road by not keeping this argument going. Those who know me, like your friend Ed, know I'm not like that

Dude super clean install, very nice work. I wish I could afford some one like you to set up my Outback. Best of luck in the future, we all need it!
Old     (ssmith)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-05-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
I really have no horse in this race but I am one that appreciates John's blunt honesty. He may not have the best people skills but at least you know what he thinks and where he stands....no doubt about it

However, I also agree with all of you. The internet is a double edged sword. Its a great place to find bargains and save some $$$. I'm guilty myself. I've gotten to the point that if I can buy the same thing locally for just a few dollars more..I will. However, if we are talking $200-$300 more for the same item locally plus sales tax..I'm buying online. I've even ask local guys to match internet pricing and they often do or get close enough. So, I can see how small businesses lose business to web sales but also the web is a great source of advertising your product as a small business.

John, remember if it wasn't for the web and Supra forum I wouldn't have crossed paths with you and you most likely wouldn't have gotten the Exile install job we're all drooling over. Also, I'm a DIY guy on many levels but boat/car audio is not one of them. I think you have a niche and thats a great thing. If people have the cash and want a high end system and they know of you, they'll bring it to you. I know I will.

Now back on topic.

Nice install by the way. I just need to figure out how to get my wife a job so she can fund a project like that...yeah right.

Jason, can't wait to hear that out on the lake. I'm sure the women and kids will complain but OH WELL...ROCK ON!!!!!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-05-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
When I stand on my soapbox and preach about all this local support, it doesn't mean that I'm against being a DIY'er. I believe if someone is capable of doing they're own installs, I can support that, and I don't mind offering advice or help for that matter.... Sorry to ruin this thread. It's just a touchy subject lately.
Old     (jmvotto)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
Jony,
For what its worth, I do appreciate the great work you did on this install from Exile and appreciate your advice. I would not have found you if it was not for the forums andnow have a great product in hand. if you were closer you would be doing my install instead of me as a DIYer. You right i should give my local shop a chance and I have been there shopping for wire, RCA's cable etc.. But they scared the crap out of me when they did not know what a v-drive inboard was and i did not want a hole in the side of my boat.

joe
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       05-09-2010, 10:30 AM Reply   
Well, I brought it home on Friday. I was blown away by the sound. Is it loud? Absolutely. However, that was not the thing that struck me. The aspect that I was most impressed with was how clean it sounds at lower levels. I have heard of some systems that can really crank, but how they really don't sound that great when the listener has the system tuned to lower levels.

This is a good clean sound all the way up to the top. I also was rather impressed with the WS-420. There is a good deal of adjust-ability there, so that the user can fine tune the level of sound and the quality of sound. Sure the knobs could be made differently, but honestly.........I thought it was pretty good just the way it is made.

The two other things that just impressed the hell out of me was the recessed amp rack and the sub enclosure. John really outdid himself with this rack. It looks good in pictures, but it is unbelievable in person. It looks to be factory.

Props must be given to Brian and the Exile team for the design and then the execution of this enclosure. I worried a bit about the loss of leg-room, but it is not as bad as I thought it might be. I still have a decent place to put my feet. It is so worth it because this sub CRANKS in this enclosure.

I have learned a few things after going through this process. First, your head-unit is of little consequence. I didn't even replace mine from the factory Kenwood unit. I just really didn't see the need. Most of my music will be played from an Ipod Touch through the WS-420. The second thing that I learned is that your speakers are only as good and as loud as your the power you are pushing them with. No sense in having some 6 or 8 inch HLCD Tower speakers unless you are going to get the amps to push them. Same thing with the Sub. I must give Brian the credit in this department because he instructed me on exactly which amps to get to power what speakers. All I can say is that he did me right. The sound is so rich, there is no comparison to anything I have ever heard before.

Thirdly, pick the right installer. I shudder to think how this would have gone if I had used the first installer that I had initially chosen. It would have been more headaches, and it would NOT have turned out this way.

All in all........Let's just say I am one happy camper.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-09-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Jay! Glad your happy with the sound! Your a big dog now. You actually hit the nail on the head when you said you boat sounds CLEAN. It's pretty much our company motto.

Now just do hitting a stump out there with all that flooding thats happening in TN. That would be a buzz kill to say the least!

Cheers!

- Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       06-12-2010, 11:44 PM Reply   
Just wanted to give an update on actual performance of the new system. This setup absolutely POUNDS on the water. I had never really thought about it until I started talking to Brian (Exile) about the different components, but there is no sense in buying a good sub or tower speakers unless you are going to power them sufficiently with good Amps. 1 or maybe even 2 Amps is not enough to power an entire system IMHO. POWER is everything.

I had thought about changing the stock head-unit, but I decided against it. In retrospect, I am glad that I didn't waste my money. The head-unit is fine and the speakers sound great with it. And this is the inexpensive stock Kenwood head unit. Also, we are primarily plugging an Ipod into the back of the WS-420 for most of our music.

I was a little apprehensive about only having only 2 batteries for the boat. Let me tell you...........The combination of the Perko switch and the Volt meters have set my mind at ease. I thought that it would be necessary to trickle charge the Stinger batteries after each use while the boat is in storage, or at least after 2 trips to the lake. I don't believe that will be the case. I keep the Perko on the number "2" setting (alternator charging the big battery during operation of the boat--and this is the battery that powers the stereo), and the battery has been holding a charge amazingly well. We typically swim in a cove for a couple hours, and then do watersports for about the same amount of time alternating back and forth until we get bored and go home. I can't imagine why some of these high-end systems have 6 or 8 Optima batteries unless they are sitting in a cove all day long (Seriously, can someone enlighten me?? I am not trying to be a smartass, I just seriously don't know). After a couple hours of sitting, the battery hasn't dropped below 75% charge, and then it fully (or close to it) recharges during our operating time. This setup will work perfectly for our typical lake activities.

After a few trips to the lake, I was pleasantly surprised by 2 things.......... regarding the system. The Sub and the WS-420. The Sub absolutely pounds. When sitting in the driver's seat, my feet are not inhibited by the sub enclosure at all, and the sub is so loud that it will make the hair on my arms dance while seated in the driver's seat.

I don't know why some people don't like the WS-420. I find that it works incredibly well for my application. No distortion or feedback whatsoever when using the microphone and it has just enough adjustments to make the stereo sound great, but not so many that it is difficult to use. Sure the nobs could be different, but I don't find that I am adjusting things that much to make them difficult to use. I love the WS-420

Last edited by jclevoy; 06-12-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-13-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
You better charge the batteries when you take the boat out of the water. AGM batteries are picky about how they are maintained. They must be brought back fully to 100% after use or they will sulfate (basically gain memory of charge level) and their performance will decrease over time. Don't rely on your alternator as your battery charger, it's a maintainer. This especially holds true if you're taxing it with a rather large stereo amp draw.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-13-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Jay -

Now you know why we call that woofer Big12. When guys figure out that woofer is musical and efficient... They are just shocked at the real world output. And to think that's the little brother to the Big15 and Bug18. Crazy!

Enjoy the hair dance. I'm sure you are top dog on your lake.

Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-13-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
Jason, people don't like the 420 because they use an $80 Clarion eq. They've never owned a 420 so they don't know how well it works.

Same as Nu Bu said, you should really charge those batteries everytime you get back. Especially the big one. Glad to hear they're working out for you. I'd put that big battery up to any combination of Sloptima's anyday.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-13-2010, 8:13 PM Reply   
JohnnyB

heard you where having back surgery. Turnout ok?
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-14-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Had the 1st part Monday last week. They removed 2 discs that were degenerative, and installed Titanium cages to replace them. The cages have bone graft in the middle. They did all of that through the front, so I've got a 10" incision that's healing up. Next Tuesday I go back for the second part. They'll go in from the back and install the rods and plates to secure everything. Heavy restrictions until July, and probably still pretty strict until September. I got the chance to ride my new wakeboard once this year, and that was saturday of Memorial weekend, so it wasn't very fun. Hopefully I'll be back in the boat by the middle of August.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2010, 5:15 PM Reply   
Ok guys, let me just clarify that I fully intend on pulling the batteries out regularly. However, I don't plan on charging them after EVERY use. Let me explain...........We went to the lake for 6-8 hours on Sat and then on Sun this past weekend, and I am not going to charge them between those days..........especially if the alternator is maintaining them and a reasonable level. However, come Sunday night............they are out of the boat and on the charger. I am just happy that the alternator is maintaining the SPP 2250 for long hours over the weekend when I don't really have time to pull the battery and throw it on a charger between each day of a weekend. If these batteries cannot handle that type of use, then it will just have to do.........and I will replace the batteries more often than someone who has the chargers mounted in their boat. It would be nice if I had power up at my boat storage, but it is not an option.

John, (or anyone out there) This go-around, I cannot get the smaller battery out of the battery sleeve that is mounted in the boat. There is not enough of a lip to grasp. I had been able to get it out the last couple times, but this time..........I cannot do it. The only thing that I can think of..........to get the battery out is to back-out the terminals quite a ways, slide a small screw-driver in between the battery and the terminal and using that as a makeshift handle. Do the terminals on those stinger batteries unscrew with an allen wrench? Is there an easier way to get this battery out? And after I have it out, what is suggested so that I don't have this problem again. The SPP 2250 has a nylon handle. Is there a way to affix that type of handle onto the smaller battery?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (jclevoy)      Join Date: May 2010       06-14-2010, 6:20 PM Reply   
UPDATE:

I was able to get the smaller stinger out of the metal sleeve that is installed in the boat by unscrewing the two terminals and then sliding an allen wrench behind each terminal and using them as a make-shift handle. I sure don't want to have to repeat this process just to get the battery out next time. Anyone have any suggestions?? I plan to place a nylon strap under the battery into the compartment to use and lift it out next time............but does anyone have one of the smaller stinger batteries and have a better suggestion??

TIA
Old    mojo            06-14-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
john where are you from? ever had of endoscopic discectomy? look into it
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-15-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
Jason, i replied to your last on the Supra forum.

R M: No. Going back for the laminectomy next week
Old    mojo            06-15-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
www.thefeldmaninstitute.com check it out.