Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-15-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
Since the first of the year, I have put time and money into bringing out the top deck of my Sanger. While it looks 100% better, I still have a slight haze when looking at an angle. Should I attack this with elbow grease and polish or does anyone have any suggestions? I'm hesitant to really get after it since the boat is 18 years old and I don't know how much gelcoat is left!

I hope to have pics by the end of the weekend.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-15-2008, 2:01 PM Reply   
Your title says that you wet sanded. What did you do and what steps did you take? For a boat with gelcoat that is 18 years old, that might be the best finish you can expect.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-15-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
You have to polish after any sanding regardless of grit.
Old     (jbenbri)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-16-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
Try 3M "perfect it". Sanded an old nautique with 400, 800, 1200 then hit it with a machine and perfect it, followed with a coat of wax and it came out great.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
BTW the gelcoat is thick. You can take off 5 mil or more before you are halfway. It is nothing like car paint. It is near impossible to "burn through". Anyone who says to keep the buffer moving, or don't hold it in one spot, or not to use a buffer has little to no experience and is repeating incorrect information they have read in this forum. Feel safe and break out a a buffer with some cut, and then a polish.

(Message edited by olskooltige on February 16, 2008)