Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-27-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
they both look like great boards, the 2.0 looks like its just byerlys old board, however the new impulse looks like it will be sick aswell, i cant decide which one to get any opinions, im a intermiadiate, i can w2w and do shuvs, but i wanna do a kickflip this summer and i wondering if anyone has any imput on which skate to get
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
go look at the new wakeskate company called new wakeskates they look sick my friend rides one mike k. and i got one on the way so check them out
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
ya they are cool but i think i may still want a impulse or 2.0 i jsut dont know which one would be better for like kickflips and stuff
Old     (josh_r_skater)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-29-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
grant kills it and he rides one of the LF wood wakeskates but i dont know which one i wouldnt go with the hyperlite one i have rode all of them and never really progessed on any of them but that is just me
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-30-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
josh, what aspects to new's wood concave do you think will allow you to progress more than you would on an impulse?

anyway KM, what boards have you ridden already? My best advice is to evaluate what you're looking for in a board and go from there. The hugest thing when it comes to wakeskating is feeling. you'll want a board that feels good under your feet, and the design characteristics between the 2.0 and the impulse will make those boards feel very different under your feet.

A lot of people (including myself) really like the feeling of a wood board underneath their feet. People still dig the compression molded or composite decks, but some of them can be a little light under your feet.

Between those two decks, I'd personally go for the impulse because I like the feeling of the wood boards (whether they be flat, concave, or bi-level), and I heard really great things about reed's design from 06 (which is now what the 07 impulse line will be). On top of that, they've changed their construction methods and the impulses are supposed to have a pbt base, so you should be getting yourself a durable board.

but if you're not in a rush and you're really concerened about these boards, wait and see what others have to say. From what i could discern, the 2.0 is the same as scott's board from the past two years, so I don't think there's a lot of mystery there.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-30-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
K M .... the nice thing about the two skates you're considering, is the fact that they are both very easily accessible. Meaning you should be able to walk into most shops and get at least a hands on feel for either or both. You may also be able to line up a demo on them. This is nearly impossible with some of the smaller skate companies.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-02-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Hey ya umm lol i have been riding the scape and i am just out riding the board, i can shuv 3 shuv and w2w but it seems like if im going to keep progessing i cant be using this board, im not braging but i im better than the board, i know i forsure want griptape, im looking for a board that is good for flip tricks and butters and just mainly sea doo riding and some boat, the trick im really aiming for this summer is the kickflip and im not sure which of these boards will help me towards my goal, i hoping to get a new board for christmas soo thats why i am having trouble deciding so soon
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2006, 1:01 PM Reply   
alright...i have ridden the impulse for about a year and a half and i rode the byerly(catalyst 2.0) for about a month a while ago. the impulse is a much better board for basically everything EXCEPT i have snapped an impule in 2 sets. several of them actually ni less than 10 sets. Ive heard that the new impulses are supposed to be stronger but im pretty sure im going back to my integrity.
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-02-2006, 7:13 PM Reply   
Ya kk thanks if i were to get the impulse does anyone no how to decide wat size benfits my size the most, and i have also heard that the bottom of the board is a different material to make them stronger. But ya size of impulse anyone??????
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
uhh that depends on how tall/heavy you are. i ride the 41 but if i got this one htis year ide ride a 40 because from what ive heard theyve widened it up a bit.
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-03-2006, 8:33 AM Reply   
ya im just 6 feet, i am 170ish, and size 11 mayb a 11 and a half in U.S shoe size, but i dont want a huge board, i want a board thats good for flip tricks but will still be big enough for w2w
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       12-03-2006, 4:11 PM Reply   
the boards at the expo had a PBT base. after talking to some people, I'm under the impression that that's what the 07 boards will look like.

Anyway, the impulses are available in a 40, 41 and a 42. I think it would be hard to go too large on that--aaron was riding his 42 last year, and danny hampson (who was much shorter at the time) frequently rode his 4-trac from 03 (which was a 42) and his bi-level was also a 42. But really, it's a decision you'll have to make, I'd say mostly based on your foot size and what feels best under your feet. I know that's a crappy answer on my part, but it's true.

I'm 5'3 and I prefer a slightly longer board (a 41) just because it gives me a little bit of room for error without making me feel uncomfortable. And this past summer I rode that 42 inch 4-trac and a 42 inch bi-level and I didn't feel hindered at all.
Old     (lflegz)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-03-2006, 4:16 PM Reply   
yeah i talked to aaron about the 07 boards he said there the same as last year just new graphics and new manufacturers...i figure for flip tricks may aswell go with a board basino uses cas he k-flips real clean...anyways i go with the LF man.
later nathan
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2006, 4:33 PM Reply   
nate...the impulses are not the same. its aaron reeds shape from last year taken into three different sizes with a pbt bottom. KM,i would go with the 41(the basino model)
Old     (lflegz)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-03-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
sorry i guess reed was wrong then
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
nate, nah i think he meant that HIS shape was going to be the new impulses. he probabaly just didnt explain it right. and then the skates have the pbt bottom. or the ones reed and hampson were riding at the tige thing in the keys did. looked like really good boards. reed claims to be riding the same board since septemeber but that board looked pretty new.
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-03-2006, 7:42 PM Reply   
ya cool so u think i should go with the 41???? it seems to most likely be the best, any other opinions?
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-03-2006, 10:50 PM Reply   
KM...if you can i would wait till you hear how this new impulses hold up. i think they will hold up a lot better but thats what they said last year as well. but as for size i would go for a 41.
Old     (lflegz)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-04-2006, 3:28 PM Reply   
i just asked reed about the new impulses and their durability...he says he breaks boards but these one hold really strong...finnaly a durable wood deck
later,
nate
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-04-2006, 4:29 PM Reply   
Hey man thanks, so you say 41, do u think 40 would forsure be too small
Old     (lflegz)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-04-2006, 4:48 PM Reply   
probably for the type of riding youll be doing you probably want a wider base for easier landing of kickflips.
Old     (kampus96)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-04-2006, 6:35 PM Reply   
the wide thing goes both ways. i rode a tech 42 two weeks ago.(super skinny) and i stuck kickflips no problem cause it flipped over so easy. but it didnt give you much room for error like nates talking about. so its a trade off. harder to flip easier to land. easier to flip harder to land. ide go with the wider base tho.
Old     (grubb)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-05-2006, 4:26 PM Reply   
Ya true, i think 41 is probably my best bet
Old     (cjay16)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-11-2007, 6:21 AM Reply   
wake2wake tricks are way better with the cataylst coming from some one who has ridden both. i also think the cataylst is a little better on flip tricks. the foam grip is the only problem i sort of have but it still is better than the impluse trust me.