Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fernandob23)      Join Date: May 2002       06-29-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
They boat will run fine when I am pulling someone or driving but once I idle down or put the boat in neutral it cuts out. It doesn't happen every time, but enough to be a problem. The boat starts right up afterward and will run fine again. I got home and hooked up the fake-a-lake to see if it happened again. Sure enough, the boat cuts out after about 5 min.

All the gauges look fine. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel/water separator thinking it might be a fuel problem. Nothing really changed.

Any other suggestions on things I should be looking for or trying to replace?

Thanks
Old     (TheSarge)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-29-2010, 9:19 PM Reply   
Go to the Tigeowners.com forums. Or contact "Evilone" on here, he went thru this and I believe he said he needed a new thermostat.
Old     (huntingwiley)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-30-2010, 7:57 AM Reply   
My boat started doing this and gradually got worse. It finally got to where it would not idle at all. Ended up being the Idle Air Control Valve.

I have a Merc 350
Old     (fernandob23)      Join Date: May 2002       06-30-2010, 8:14 AM Reply   
Thanks guys....

I am going to check Air Control Valve. Is it pretty easy to get to? I have read that it is on the intake manifold right by the air intake with two wires connected to it. Does that sound about right? If anyone has a picture, that would be great. From what I have read, cleaning it out with some carb cleaner would do the trick. Hopefully that solves the problem.

I will post a follow up once I clean it out and run it for a bit

Fernando

Last edited by fernandob23; 06-30-2010 at 8:16 AM.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-30-2010, 4:39 PM Reply   
What engine? Marine Power? It appears it is a fuel pressure issue. Still chasing it down but it has been a lot more predictable recently.

Check your engine temp when it happens, is it anything above normal? When you restart the engine do you typically have to let it prime for a second before cranking?
Old     (fernandob23)      Join Date: May 2002       07-01-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
It is a Merc 350. The engine temp was fine during our camping trip but recently it was starting to run a little hot. I changed out the impeller today (it was in need of a change). The temp is doing fine. All gauges look good to me. What should the oil pressure gauge read? After it dies, I can restart immediately. I do not have to let it prime at all. I usually turn the key back and wait but I don't have to.

I cleaned what I think is the Idle Air Control valve with some carb cleaner. I checked and replaced the fuel filter and fuel/water separator. I removed the water pump and replaced the impeller. I started it again today and it ran great for 3-4 min hooked up to the fake-a-lake. After it died I was able to restart right away and it died again after about the same amount of time.

Any other suggestions? Could it be bad gas? I have gone through 1.5 tanks this season. I also added fuel cleaner with my first tank this year.

Could it be a fuel pump issue? It ran fine when pulling a wakeboarder but would cut out at idle when I turned to pick up the rider.

I am leaving for the lake today and I will mess with some things while up there. I am the second boat anyway so we have another boat to use in case. It is just frustrating not knowing the problem.

Thanks for the help so far everyone and please let me know if you have any other suggestions for me.

Fernando
Old     (huntingwiley)      Join Date: Dec 2008       07-02-2010, 1:02 PM Reply   
I thought the same thing when I was having trouble with mine. I talked to a couple Merc mechanics and they said cleaning the IAC almost never works, Need to replace it. It worked for me anyways. It is abouit a 100$ part.