Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Hkyben11)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-06-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
Which boat would be better for wakeboarding and surfing. They are both year 1992. Same price. But the excel is a v-drive and the sport is not. Any good information on the wakes would be great!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-06-2013, 6:01 PM Reply   
I believe they are the same basic hull that year... Excel for sure.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-06-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
I learned behind a barefoot nautique v drive. Loved it
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-06-2013, 7:01 PM Reply   
I test drove a 92 sport nautique and it has a good wake for wakeboarding but with 5 people in the boat water would come up over the back when we slowed down. I would be afraid of that for surfing or loading it down with much extra weight. I think the Excel would be the better option, or better yet, a 93+ Sport.
Old     (jps120)      Join Date: Oct 2012       06-07-2013, 7:26 AM Reply   
A friend of mine has a 91 excel with 1700lbs of ballast and it throws a real nice wake for wakeboarding. When its loaded down you do have to becareful when stopping because the wake will wash over the sun pad but if you ease off the throttle it isn't a problem. It doesn't have a good surf wake
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-07-2013, 7:37 AM Reply   
I don't think the sport nautique and the excel are the same hull or even that similar are they? I thought the excel had the real deep V hull all the way to the transom like those early direct drive barefoot nautiques. The sport that year had a kind of different hull than Nautique had ever really had.

Excel Hull

1992 Sport hull

Just based off of hull shape I would say the Excel has a better Surf wake or is at the very least easier to weight do to the Deep V and Vdrive. I have no idea on the wakeboard wakes but generally(not always) a deeper V boat means a little finickier wake side to side or a steeper wake.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
Excerpts from a search:
The Excel's wake is quite different than the Sport of that era. The Excel's wake is wide and hard with defined lip and high flat table. They did not have the more dished table of the Sport. The wake of the Barefoot (454) is still different than that of the Excel (351) due to the significant extra weight of the engine. The Barefoot's wake table is rampier and slightly harder. They are great beginner to intermediate board wakes esp. with ballast. Hard high flat wake table great for footing and wake boarding. Hard edges for skiing... the Non-Pro Boss 91 & 92's were slightly underpowered. But you will never spend more comfortable time in a Correct Craft - smooth ride, quiet and ergo-excellent. VERY live-able, just not so ski-able...... Just the other day I had an "advanced" wakeboarder with us in our 1994 Excel and he was impressed with the wake without any additional ballast. I know several other have been quite pleased with their Excel for boarding. Seems they respond well to weight in the bow. BTW - very little room in the playpen up front for adult(s). great boat for wakeboarding and surfing. For surfing we fill one of the v-drive sacs to capacity, keep about 300-400 lbs. of ballast in the closed bow, and move everyone in the boat to one side and towards the back(same side as the full sac).

Last edited by rexlex01; 06-07-2013 at 8:12 AM.
Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-07-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
Reading Material from a search at CCFan:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...00936&KW=excel
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-07-2013, 8:28 AM Reply   
I think for equal money in similar condition, the excel is going to win every time. Is the equipment similar. Both are going to need towers with racks or you will be out of space fast.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-07-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
I stand corrected. The sport does flatten out at the stern and the excel is a V to the back... I was thinking lifting strakes and viewing from the front they look the same... but not the stern... good catch!
Old    sperbet            06-07-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
when in doubt, go with the v-drive