Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Hey guys, just recently ordered a 2013 Tige Z1...primarily surf the boat but will be doing some wakeboarding as well. Anyways, the dealer is throwing in a free Hyperlite board of my choice, but I am not sure what I should get.

I am 5'11" 160 lbs and a beginner wakeboarder. I can wake to wake but that is about the extent. I am looking to advance and hopefully learn some tricks this summer. What Hyperlite board would you recommend for me?

I know there are other good brands out there, but the Hyperlite will be free! Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-12-2013, 9:47 AM Reply   
Go with the Marek Nova (or any of their highest pricest boards) then turn around and sell it....then profit.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2013, 10:09 AM Reply   
Aside from getting the most expensive board, you should look at the packages they offer. The packages include the Team boot and you can choose from three boards, the Murray, B-Side or Tribute. Here are the differences. None of the boards will hold you back and are all still ridden by top riders.

Murray - Fast, good vertical pop, late release from wake, decent landings.
B-Side - Slower, loads of pop, able to ride with or without fins, lands mediocre.
Tribute - Fastest, smooth ride, more out than up pop, lands incredibly soft, also can fide finless.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2013, 10:15 AM Reply   
I think I like the idea of having a soft landing board. What size would you recommend? The board I have been riding in the past is a 6 or 7 year old liquid force and it's like 134 I believe.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-12-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
139cm to 142cm would suit you best.
Good luck with the new board
Old     (anketell3)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-12-2013, 5:30 PM Reply   
Personally I like the Murray, good consistent pop with pretty soft landings. The board also rides very smooth. I've ridden the B-side and the union before along with some liquid force boards, but I have to say my favorite all around board would definitely be the Murray! Hope this helps!
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2013, 5:42 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! I am hoping I can maybe demo a couple boards beforehand, but if not, then I think the Murray or Marek Bio look like some awesome boards after reading reviews!
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       02-12-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
I'd go with the tribute. I worked at West Coast Camps with Mike Schwenne and was a camper when he developed the board. Honestly its one of the cleanest and easiest rides they make. Its got consistent good pop, lands fast and soft but won't hold you back when trying to learn bigger tricks. My first year on the Tribute I learned twelve new tricks in one week at camp. I'd go with a 139 for your weight.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boarder12 View Post
I'd go with the tribute. I worked at West Coast Camps with Mike Schwenne and was a camper when he developed the board. Honestly its one of the cleanest and easiest rides they make. Its got consistent good pop, lands fast and soft but won't hold you back when trying to learn bigger tricks. My first year on the Tribute I learned twelve new tricks in one week at camp. I'd go with a 139 for your weight.
Thanks for the info, this sounds great. I am definitely excited to try a newer board that actually is sized correctly for me.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-12-2013, 6:25 PM Reply   
Tribute only comes in 137 or 142, which would you suggest?
Old     (JayManAR)      Join Date: Dec 2012       02-12-2013, 6:30 PM Reply   
After some research I decided to go with the Murray in a 142. I'm 6'1" and around 190. I finally get to try it out in about a month or so..
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-13-2013, 7:13 AM Reply   
Let me know what you think of it. I am probably better going with a 137 since I weigh a bit less than that.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       02-13-2013, 7:25 AM Reply   
Definately Murray or Marek (Bio or Nova).
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-13-2013, 8:15 AM Reply   
Of the two I would not go with the Marek. That board can be a bit unforgiving with its thin rails and overall edgy/quick shape. The Murray is certainly better suited.

My previous post was about the package boards but of all the boards in the line, I think the Franchise is one of the best. I'd call it a cross between a Murray and a Marek. I've ridden them all and its my favorite.
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-13-2013, 9:15 AM Reply   
So how would you compare the Murray vs. Tribute? What are the main feel differences? What is one board better for than the other?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-13-2013, 11:05 AM Reply   
Murray has more vertical pop (not saying the Tribute doesn't get up in the air), and is a little more grippy on the water. The Tribute will be faster on the water and I think it lands softer. The Tribute is also a little more versatile in that you can remove the center fin as you get more comfortable using your edges.
Old     (nautiboy614)      Join Date: Dec 2010       02-13-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Murray 142 is definitively one of my favorite boards to ride. I started off on the Tribute and now switch between the Murray & Marek. The new shape of the Marek is a lot easier to ride than the old shape for beginners (in my opinion). I had the old shape Marek and struggled with it. The Murray is easily to adapt to and a great all around board.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       02-13-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
Heres my take on the boards you mentioned. I have both the Marek and Murray NOVA's and both are very nice- but different. The Tribute was a bit track-y for me and not enough vertical pop. Again everyones riding comfort style is a bit different - so their board preference will be also do. I seem to go back with the Murray as my board of choice.

Here is a write-up at MOwake.com I did on it.

Last edited by aubuchon03; 02-13-2013 at 11:38 AM. Reason: link update
Old     (Tony711)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-13-2013, 3:43 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses guys. I am hoping that I will be able to demo some of the boards in the spring when I take delivery of the boat!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-13-2013, 4:22 PM Reply   
Small Light is wrong about the Marek the old models had the small rails and were unforgiving. The new Marek is one of the more forgiving boards I have ridden with huge consistent pop. I have ridden every board in Hyperlites lineup except the B-side and I work at a boardshop and I can say that I put alot of beginners on 2012 and up Mareks (def not the old ones!) it is a really easy board to ride and is really different from the old Marek. BTW its a great ride for advanced riders as well and somrthing you can grow into. Franchise would also be a great choice for a beginner. I would try to stay with a continuous rocker to really learn the proper way to ride up the wake.