Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-18-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
I have numerous friends from the lake selling their boats this winter and we discussed which was the best way to sell it. I was all about craigslist.com cause its free but others had points being pay a little to sell your boat fast on pay websites.

So, question is wheres the best place to list your boat if you want it to sale?
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-18-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
onlyinboards.com is a great site to start with
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-18-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
I am obviously biased on which site I think is the best :-)

However the truth is that there is not ONE site that will sell your boat every time. The trick is to price it right and get it on as many sites as possible. The worst part is that boattrader and some of those other sites charge an arm and a leg for a listing. But if you have it on OIB, Boattrader, usedboats, craigslist, iboats I think you would be pretty well covered. (that gets pricey though I'm sure)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-18-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
^^^ Agreed. When I posted one of my boats on onlyinboards.com, I had the most traffic there. craigslist was okay but got a lot of those nigerian scammers asking questions. IMO, onlyinboards.com is the best way to go.
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-18-2009, 2:11 PM Reply   
be careful on CL, but if you do get the scammers have fun with them. get them to fedx you their "cashiers checks" as many times as they'll fall for it, costing them $$$ everytime. And just plaster the walls with the fake checks. (hmmm, maybe make sure they're fake first so you dont blow a sale playing games)
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-18-2009, 2:54 PM Reply   
i sold my boat last spring from a craigslist listing... i got a lot of response but i stated i would only deal locally in my ad so i wouldnt even put myself in the situation to get scammed online anyone trying to get you to deal online you would know immediately was a scammer.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-18-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Best way to sell a boat is to price it right.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-18-2009, 5:28 PM Reply   
The key to selling any boat is having it priced right,as stated above. Do some research before you put it on the market, find out what others are listing theirs for and I'd even secret shop some of the ones listed to see what they'd actually sell them for. This is a very confusing time in the market and selling can be tough and discouraging if you're not somewhat educated on what the trends are.Good luck!
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-18-2009, 6:00 PM Reply   
onlyinboards.com and boattrader.com

Its too hard to search large regions on craigslist, and truthfully, a good percentage of near new used boat sales are going out of the country right now. Not many ppl in Austrailia that are going to search craigslist in 10 different cities all in a few hrs of each other.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-18-2009, 6:06 PM Reply   
onlyinboards for sure but CL is great. just remember to put a lot of of current BIG pics, so use html to host pics through photobucket so you can get multiple big pics. the best way to sell your boat fast is price it bellow all other like boats listed currently.
Old     (leveraged)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-18-2009, 8:53 PM Reply   
use craigslist. www.jaxed.com lets you search all craiglist ads without having to go through all the different states. thats how i found my boat and im ozzy.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-19-2009, 5:30 AM Reply   
I used onlyinboards to sell and find my next boat but I got alot of hits threw this little web site called

WakeWorld.com
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-19-2009, 6:29 AM Reply   
CL is good for cheaper items imo. A bargain shopper is on CL.

onlyinboards and boattrader for a big ticket item...
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-19-2009, 7:08 AM Reply   
As Brock said above, the most importand part is price it right. I always list on
Onlyinboards, Craigslist, and WakeWorld.

That always gets it done. I would have to say Onlyiboards gets the most genuine leads, but as said before it is not just one site.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
what about a site to sell this bad boy? I've had no luck on ebay, cl, and boat trader thus far.

Upload
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-19-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Cl and boat trader are your tickets. Sign of the times i think. Price it right, advertise it with appropriate specs, lots of pics, and it should sell.
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-19-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
i have done all those things. i'm even willing to take interesting trade ins as partial payment. and nothin.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-19-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Rod, try offshoreonly.com. Is there an offshore owners forum in the bay area? Try there also.

Eric, for your boat I would list it on onlyinboards, craigslist in the biggest city close to you, and boat trader online. I looked at your craigslist ad and you need a lot more and better pics. You can't tell anything other than your boat is yellow from the pics. You have a couple of good things going for you with your boat. The stereo is very nice and the motor upgrade is nice. Everything else you list is on pretty much every other wakesetter on the planet. The problem is those the stereo and motor probably only increase the value 1 or 2 thousand at most in the real world market. There are some things going against you as well. Yellow is a little harder to sell, the graphics on the side are very odd for that boat and it is the start of winter so nobody is going to be able to use the boat for a few months. If you want to try and get close to what you are asking you may want to strip the graphics and put on the '08 wakesetter graphics. Also make the ad better with bigger pics. I don't agree with NADA very often but for your boat I think it is pretty close on your boat. It books out to about 52k average and 47 low. I would think you should be able to sell you boat fairly quickly if listed at the 45-47 range. In this economy price is by far the most important selling feature.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
Dirt is worth more than most boats at this time of year. If you want to sell, ya gotta go low, very low.
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-19-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
Chad- Did you get your boat sold yet?
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-19-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
Sold it yesterday! I'll probably be bugging you more next year
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       11-19-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Hijack: Brock Landers, i want your caddi dude. mother of god that thing is amazing
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-19-2009, 1:53 PM Reply   
sold mine on wakeworld, only took 3 days. price has to be right, otherwise, its just like show and tell....imo
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-19-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
IMo sites like boat trader allow a seller to get the most out of his inboard boat....other inboard exclusive sites allow to much competition and thus driving down prices. As a seller I want the guy who just got into wakeboarding looking to get a nice new wakeboard boat after just coming from the local dealer. Not the guy who's been looking for 6 months and is after that crazy deal.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-19-2009, 2:43 PM Reply   
For quick sell, research similar boats and KBB and price it agressively and blitz as many sites / ads as possible. If you get a bunch calls right off the bat and sell it quick, that means you probably could have sold it for more though, but at least the hassle of selling is over.

If you want to max the dollars and are less concerned about how long it takes and are around to show it a bunch of times, list it in CL, WW, Onlyinboards and other free or cheap sites with a less aggressive price. If the phone doesn't ring much, lower the price every 2 - 4 weeks until the phone starts ringing. That way you will know exactly where the top end of the market price is for your boat.

If you want a hands off approach and don't want people checking out your house and stuff or waste your time with the lookey lous, pay a higher volume dealer 10% to sell it on consignment.

Of course timing is a factor and once boat shows come around more people will be looking. Also sometimes is just tough to sell some things as there is just not a big market to draw from which may be the case for Rod's boat. Then you just have to be patient until the right person comes by or sell it at a crazy low price to entice someone that is just looking for steals.

Good luck.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       11-19-2009, 8:33 PM Reply   
rod:

if it was 1985 and i had some WHAM cd's in my arsenal, i'd pick that boat up from you in a heartbeat. the ladies would love it.