Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-30-2013, 8:29 AM Reply   
Guys & Gals,
I am a marketing student at the University of Central Florida (UCF) and I am conducting a study to explain the explosive growth and demand for wakeboarding, both cable and boat. Once my study is complete I would like to present this to the X Games committee and help get wakeboarding back in! I have conducted some research at my local cable park (Orlando Watersports Complex), but I would like narrow my results down...So far I have found that social media, cable parks, wakeboard brands and the vibe(s) of wakeboarding have intrigued people and helped promote the sport. My next topic for discussion is the style of wakeboarding and its influence on the sport. By style, I mean apparel, how wakeboarders carry themselves, the mentality, etc.

Questions:
As far as apparel is concerned, what do wakeboarders look for in clothing? (shirts, shorts, boardshorts, tanks, bathing suits (women), etc.)?

What do you like about current clothing? (Do you like the designs, material the clothing is made from, the vibes the brand gives off, etc.?)

What problems are there with the current apparel? (Are the boardshorts too short? Does the material bother you?...etc.)

How would you describe the "wakeboard life"?

How do you as a wakeboarder carry yourself?

What mentality do you have? Is it an extreme, go big or go home type of thinking? Is it chill or both? etc.

I appreciate as much feedback as possible, this could be groundbreaking for this sport!!

Thanks,
Anthony
Old     (DenverRider)      Join Date: Feb 2013       12-30-2013, 10:55 AM Reply   
Do you really want to know what would be ground breaking for the sport??? It isn't the board shorts, the brands, or how we carry ourselves. If you really want to grow the sport, you have to get it on TV. Wakeboarding is on TV about 7 times a year, usually on channels that no one has and at obscure times. Figure out how to get it on TV and the sport will grow. Until then, the rest of it is fluff. Do you want the sport to grow or do you just want to sell more stuff to the existing wakeboarding community that is probably shrinking more than it's growing right now? How can we get it on TV? Full competitions as opposed to a collage of 2 second slow mo clips would be better as well. The half hour coverage of the King of Wake competitions is garbage. They end up showing more footage of the Monster energy drink girls than the wakeboarding.
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-30-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
I appreciate your insight! I am actually going to have another section on the tv time with wakeboarding. Like I said I'm just doing a study on what's currently out there and how it affects the sport. I know you said the other stuff is just fluff, but do you believe (whether you agree with it or not) that this fluff impacts the sport? If so, is it in a negative or positive way?

Just curious, but where do you ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-30-2013, 4:08 PM Reply   
I could be wrong but I think the trick naming convention holds wakeboarding back from a mainstream audience.

I can't think of any other sport that does it. A newcomer will strugggle to tell a raley from a hoochie glide and most watching on their couch don't want to learn either.
And some of the names are pretty dumb.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-30-2013, 5:18 PM Reply   
Make this a google doc please
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       12-30-2013, 7:09 PM Reply   
How long will this study be open? Can you request this information a little more into season? I would love answer these questions when I get more time. I am snowboarding right now. :-)
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-31-2013, 5:55 AM Reply   
Vinny,
Why would you like it to be a google doc?

Tim,
This study is going to be open for a while, I would like to have a majority of it done before season begins though.

Please pass along to your friends!!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-31-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
Confidentiality lol
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-01-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
I second the idea that wakeboard trick names are stupid
Old     (TC_Mastercraf_X5)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-02-2014, 2:35 PM Reply   
Although people may be “intrigued” by the sport it is a very difficult sport to get into. Not many people have the funds/boats to be able to really grow to their full capability. I personally grew up behind an I/O and realized early on that a back roll was not an option with that boat. Living in a state such as Iowa also significantly limited riders interest as season was short and no lakes. In addition, I don’t think any particular clothing, lifestyle, or mentality really can summarize the people that do the sport. My boarding crews consists of people from all professional industries (programmers, traders, and sales), lifestyle points, and ages.
Old     (jessemitchell)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-02-2014, 6:16 PM Reply   
Pete Rose, Whirlydick, Fashion Air, Tweetie Bird, Vulcan, and Dum Dum are NOT dum names!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-02-2014, 6:35 PM Reply   
Pete Rose is a sick trick name.
While Scott Byerly was inventing it, he kept overrotating the 360, catching his toe edge and sometimes sliding out onto his toes, the people in the boat told him he looked like the famous baseball player Pete Rose sliding headfirst into home base.
So in turn he named the trick Pete Rose.
Attached Images

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-02-2014, 7:09 PM Reply   
pete rose is cool but a ts backroll fs 360 is easier to understand to an outsider
Old     (poon)      Join Date: Dec 2001       01-03-2014, 12:39 AM Reply   
I think I may have some insight coming from a background of surf, skate and wake as a rider in all and business owner in all 3 of those board sports. I don't mind chatting about this subject at all.
Old     (jimmyd)      Join Date: Apr 2012       01-06-2014, 6:50 AM Reply   
H2o
Attached Images

Old     (ATB0713)      Join Date: Oct 2013 Location: Massachusetts       01-06-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
To add onto what Tyler Conley said...

if you look at wakeboarding and compare it to snowboarding. Accessibility is a HUGE difference.

In snowboarding all you've gotta do is jump in the truck/car and make sure you've got a jacket, snow pants, and gloves and then you can rent the rest of the hardware at the mountain. and boom you're on the mountain ripping down the slopes.

with the growth of cable parks, being able to wakeboard is becoming much easier to do. Therefore, becoming more popular! Regardless of whether you know how to ride or not, wake parks have everything in one area just for you, just like the ski resorts.

Boats are great, i love boat riding. However, it is not practical at all. Boats are expensive to maintain and to purchase. spending money at a cable park is much easier to do because it is the closest simulation to a ski resort/mountain to date.

Eric (DenverRider) is also spot on, once you get wakeboarding on a national broadcast with a super hot Australian chick hosting the show, that is whats up!
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 12:00 PM Reply   
Appreciate the thoughts guys! I just posted another thread strictly about the apparel side of things with this sport.

Are wakeboarders disappointed with current designs/functionality of available apparel?

What do wakeboarders wear when they ride?

What do wakeboarders look for in clothing? (designs, certain shirts/shorts, tanks, etc.)

I'm trying to think of every little way wakeboarding may be influenced.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-07-2014, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane View Post
I could be wrong but I think the trick naming convention holds wakeboarding back from a mainstream audience.

I can't think of any other sport that does it. A newcomer will strugggle to tell a raley from a hoochie glide and most watching on their couch don't want to learn either.
And some of the names are pretty dumb.
Idk even know half the trick names. Thankfully brother is an encyclopedia and can name them all by sight!
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-07-2014, 6:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Idk even know half the trick names. Thankfully brother is an encyclopedia and can name them all by sight!
I'm honestly surprised by the fact that the trick names topic has been such a hit. I didnt think of that because when you think of snowboarding or skateboarding, a lot of people dont know the names of those tricks and still are into those sports ya know?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-08-2014, 3:28 AM Reply   
Well think about it, a roll to blind is just a backside rodeo 5. "Ole" just cork spins. Mobes could be considered rodeo variations, tantrums are just backflips etc. it can get hard to follow. The only tricks that are unique to wakeboarding are really the tantrum series and raley variations. It's too late now though but If you're Joe Schmoe watching on tv you'd probably be so lost when the announcer is calling out dum dums, crow mobes, and S bends...
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       01-08-2014, 3:43 AM Reply   
Since I've gotten sucked into your thread I'll answer some questions: for clothing I look to a skate and snow style more than wake because well, I live in a cold climate. Skinny jeans( I know probably will threaten the shorts over full suit crowd) and a flannel for me.

Clothing for riding? Yea I like it, could be better though. I've been buying board shorts from small surf companies but in trying to shake some of that d-bag monster logoed crap that so many people wear. Board shorts have gotta be stretch.

The wakeboard life? Idk how to answer that question really. I wouldn't be have any differently if I did or didn't do it. It's just brought me interesting opportunities and given me the ability to meet new people and have great experiences these things have made me more interesting but wakeboarding doesn't impact my lifestyle much...

How do I carry myself? Interesting one. Again no different than I would otherwise. I think it's important to be humble and I generally keep it pretty hush hush around people that don't know boats etc. otherwise they'll think I'm just a rich dbag with a boat, oooooor think that I'm bragging in some way. Generally Instagram is the only place where anything gets pushed on social media because well wakeboarding leads to interesting pictures and videos but no other reason than that. I like to try to think that we fit in somewhere between snowboard hippie and MMA bros in terms of an image. Ever Think about how goofy and weird wakeboarding is? But then again it takes major cash and physical fitness... Idk how else to really answer that question. If I see someone with a wakeboard sticker in their car or a wake related shirt I'll usually give em a thumbs up or have a chat.

In terms of how I approach it? Go as big as you can without it looking like you're trying too hard.
Old     (acatoni)      Join Date: Dec 2013       01-08-2014, 5:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Since I've gotten sucked into your thread I'll answer some questions: for clothing I look to a skate and snow style more than wake because well, I live in a cold climate. Skinny jeans( I know probably will threaten the shorts over full suit crowd) and a flannel for me.

Clothing for riding? Yea I like it, could be better though. I've been buying board shorts from small surf companies but in trying to shake some of that d-bag monster logoed crap that so many people wear. Board shorts have gotta be stretch.

The wakeboard life? Idk how to answer that question really. I wouldn't be have any differently if I did or didn't do it. It's just brought me interesting opportunities and given me the ability to meet new people and have great experiences these things have made me more interesting but wakeboarding doesn't impact my lifestyle much...

How do I carry myself? Interesting one. Again no different than I would otherwise. I think it's important to be humble and I generally keep it pretty hush hush around people that don't know boats etc. otherwise they'll think I'm just a rich dbag with a boat, oooooor think that I'm bragging in some way. Generally Instagram is the only place where anything gets pushed on social media because well wakeboarding leads to interesting pictures and videos but no other reason than that. I like to try to think that we fit in somewhere between snowboard hippie and MMA bros in terms of an image. Ever Think about how goofy and weird wakeboarding is? But then again it takes major cash and physical fitness... Idk how else to really answer that question. If I see someone with a wakeboard sticker in their car or a wake related shirt I'll usually give em a thumbs up or have a chat.

In terms of how I approach it? Go as big as you can without it looking like you're trying too hard.
First off, I would just like to say I appreciate your feedback!!

In what ways would you like to see the clothing for riding improve? Do you think if wakeboarding got big enough there would be a demand or want for a company to develop "wake clothing" to express the sport?

I like how you said the sport has created interesting opportunities, could you elaborate more on that please?
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-21-2014, 7:17 AM Reply   
Been on the water for years and fell in love with skiing in Wisconsin when younger. I have lived in Orlando, South Florida, Gainesville, Illinois and Wisconsin and would have to say that the cable is the key to expanding the sport. Its water access, exposure to the sport, and the affordability which will always limit the potential.

Wakeboarding tournaments or any ski tournament is a slow spectator event especially to anyone who is not into the sport. TV and editing really helps by moving things along as it does for many sports.

Orlando is the mecca of the sport with the lakes and weather to support it however its from the norm for the rest of the country. I think its always going to be tough to "justify" the sports appeal or to call it expanding.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-21-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
tv doesn't have anything to do with it... surf and skate are so much bigger than wake and snow its not even funny and when was the last time you saw a surf contest or a skate contest (other than xgames) on tv?

primary market drivers are price and accessibility. nothing else matters. cable is a step in the right direction because it brings the sport to more people for cheaper... if there were as many cable parks in the county as there are ski resorts wake would be just as big if not bigger than snow... the problem is that the investors in our country obviously dont see the profit capabilities in cable parks that the see in ski resorts... why? well because you can only put 8 dudes on a cable at one time while you can put a million people on the mountain at copper and roll in all your profit

wake will never rise to the level of any of our brother sports because the private sector profitability just isnt there in large enough quantities to warrant capital investement.

boom.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-21-2014, 1:51 PM Reply   
be happy with what you have... a unique sport that will very likely never be invaded by masses of kooks... allowing us the freedom to take it whereeveronly the dedicated riders want it to go!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-21-2014, 2:26 PM Reply   
I'll take part in this survey.

Shoes: Doc Martens or sometimes Air Jordan's (I like a low top Jordan). I'll throw on a pair of Crocs too if it's hot out.

Shorts: I like B-Boy style baggy shorts with NBA team logos. Sometimes I'll wear Umbro soccer shorts. For gaunch I'll wear whatever, Hanes or Fruit of the Loom. I like the 5-packs at Walmart for cost savings.

Shirts: Lacoste Polos or Ed Hardy shirts. Usually Ed Hardy for a day at the lake. My polos always have to be crisp. I'll pop the collar up sometimes though my other friends in the wake scene generally don't pop their collars.

Hat: My sponsors generally provide me with hats so I'll wear what they give me, Red Bull, Monster, Orange Crush, etc...

Shades: Ray Ban aviators for lake days and frameless Armani's for après ski at the local pub.
Old     (richmondrider)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-28-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
Jet Ranger, Will you rock that outfit in MIKEnNC's new MXZ22?
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       01-28-2014, 9:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondrider View Post
Jet Ranger, Will you rock that outfit in MIKEnNC's new MXZ22?

Yeah I will!

Collars popped! So fresh, so crisp!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-04-2014, 6:04 AM Reply   
Just got done reading the thread about the 172,000 list price on a Nautique at a Minnesota boat show. You better be marketing to those who are wanna be's ...like Ferrari clothing.

I have grown up loving watersports but I now understand my love for the sport is an exception to mass appeal.

To get an "A" I think you need to conclude that this is a fringe sport except in the Orlando market and financial success requires you to link it to similar activities so you can cross sell to a broader market.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-04-2014, 11:36 AM Reply   
I apologize if someone already said this as I only scanned all the responses, but the main thing holding this sport back has always been MONEY. You want to get into wakeboarding seriously beyond the folks who go a couple of times a year in somebody else's boat on vacation you are looking at expensive toys that require a lot of TLC, commitment, a place to keep them, insurance, gas, etc... That is up until Cable Parks started to spawn. Now you need a board and 20 bucks for a couple of hours of fun in a cool place with lots to do and lots to watch. Also sets up nicely as a spectator sport. Interest in wakeboarding has exploded in Europe with cable parks and we could support many more in the US. Once you have that population of participants you can generate the interest for sponsors to take it to the next level. Plus, with all those people at the Park it leaves more space for those of us lucky enough to have boats to compete with the tubers for rides at the lake.
Old     (brithunsicker)      Join Date: Jan 2014       02-04-2014, 9:37 PM Reply   
The reason I wakeboard is because it gave me a chance to be really good at something. I have always been around the lake growing up and never really ac-celled at anything until I started wakeboarding. Throughout school trying various sports, I wasn't much of a team player, not in a bad way, I just didn't want to be held responsible for something that cost the whole team. Never being the fastest, or the best at basketball, I looked for something other people weren't doing. For years I rode the wakeboard, never tried anything fancy, just jumped the wake. Did this for 2 years until my cousin took me out on his boat with a bunch of college girls. Needless to say, that is where wakeboarding really began for me. From there on out I was trying new things and landing multiple new flips every year. I know that doesn't have to do with the exact question you asked, but that is how I got into wakeboarding.

The way I ride on the lake really has to depend what boat I am behind and who is watching. I won't lie, I am a show off, and 95% of people are, they just won't admit it. I definitely ride the go big or go home style when I am behind a big boat. I'm know for throwing some of the biggest stretched out tantrums most of the guys around here have seen. My style changes from boat to boat though, when I am behind a smaller wake I work on the basics. That's usually when nobody is around to watch.

As far a clothing goes, I think there is a market for some different sizes of board shorts, or at least I need a different size. Being 6'1 and weighing only 145 soaking wet with a jacket on, it is hard to find board shorts that fit. I need a 32 in the waist, but then they cut off above my knee caps. Looks bad and is annoying. Coming across the right size and length of shorts is once in a blue moon. I find myself in a board shop grabbing 25 pairs of board shorts and if I am lucky, coming out with 1 pair that fits decent enough to buy. I do like the "game changer" board shorts. They have built in neoprene on the inside, so it eliminates the need for me to wear neoprene shorts over my board shorts. I get a lot of crap for wearing neoprene shorts on top, but I really don't care because they save your balls, seriously.

I feel like wakeboarding makes me different from other people, in the fact that not everybody does it, which is a reason I like it. Most people think it is cool too when you throw a massive tantrum out of nowhere. I have to say I am not a big fan of cable parks, just my 2 cents. I don't have anything against them, just not my style . I do think that cable parks are bring a lot of people into the wakeboard industry, which is good.

The way I "carry" myself isn't like some hippie, as other people would think of a surfer or something along those lines. The type of clothing I wear on the water would be a competition vest, with the occasional long sleeve shirt depending on riding conditions, stretchy board shorts, and neoprene shorts as well (for those nasty ball buster front rolls). What I wear off the water is simply a Mastercraft, Nautique, or Liquid Force t-shirt. I like to display those brands because it gives me a chance to meet people with similar interests as me. Believe it or not, I met J.D. Webb's father in law in a little hometown cafe last summer just because I was wearing a Mastercraft shirt. He asked me if I ride and then asked me if I knew of J.D. Webb. Of course I do, what rider doesn't ha ha. Wearing that apparel opens up opportunities I may not get otherwise, although I was disappointed I didn't get the invite to come shred with J.D., but I did sit down and eat breakfast and talk wakeboarding with his father in law for an hour!

Not quite sure if this helped, seems like things are all over on this thread.