Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old    clubjoeskier            04-24-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
I got to hit some double-ups for the first time this weekend ...JEEEZZ those things are awsome!!!

I landed a 1/4 backroll each time, thank you very much, and dropped in from about 8ft behind my boat...

Ruffed up muh boys a bit, but I'll be back!!!
Old     (tigebob)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-26-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
yeah i about crapped my pants the first time i hit one right, they are fun
Old    murrayair            04-26-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
I just have to get my timing down on the d-ups. That and teach the people I ride with how to drive one. Half the time they just do a big fat power turn and think they did it right, haha.
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
whats the sequence in setting up a doubleup as far as driving the boat part.I know its kinda like a partial figure 8, but.....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
It's more like a letter "P"Driving point starts at the bottom of the letter and goes to the top and makes a circle down towards the middle of the straight line of the letter "P"

hope that makes sense!
Old     (wakeme884)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
Big E, that actually does make more sense than a partial 8. So, during this manuver you keep your same speed(for those of us without pp)and plow thru your wake, and then its up to the rider for timing to hit it right?
Old     (milehighrider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-28-2005, 7:10 PM Reply   
driving them that way works if you are going in a circle. if you go strait back down the lake you first make a 90 turn which throws them perpenduclar to the wake, then yoiu drive it like ED said. we drive ours this way also because it throws a bigger double up. just my .02
Old    clubjoeskier            04-28-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
Well, It all ends up the same way for me right now.......SSPLATT!!!(temporary darkness)...followed by a cupcheck.....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2005, 11:07 PM Reply   
Yeah it is very important that you keep your speed the same and they will be smooth.one's you are going straigh for your wake that you have your speed dialed in and let your rider have enough time to set up!also make sure you are hitting the wake at 90 degree angle.
Old     (supersport)      Join Date: Dec 2001       04-29-2005, 12:35 AM Reply   
Joe, how's that Calabria treating you?
Joe
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-29-2005, 12:38 AM Reply   
actually, when you turn to make the circle, it's better to bump up the speed a bit. once you come out of the turn, adjust from there. also, it's easier to adjust to slow down, than it is to adjust to speed up.

joe, i want some double ups saturday! (jk!!!!!!)
Old    penny4urthots            04-29-2005, 2:40 AM Reply   
Good call on the speed Umali... Double Ups are like instant elevators if you are lucky enough to time them right. Pretty much a new "clean" addiction for all the kidz out there! Hahaha

CCR - a freeding revolution
Old    clubjoeskier            04-29-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
(The official Joe, Joe-Joe response thread)

JoeB--I Love it! Have had no complaints with the boat at all. It's impossible to miss cuz of the color (all yellow) and gobbs of room. I wonder if I should have gotten a bigger motor, but I haven't needed it.

JoeU--We'll get you some!! Is that for -you- to ride, or for bug to get pics of me in crash mode?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-29-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
I like them smooth and SAME speed and no suddon turn to slow the boat down and you don't get jurked...JOE!!
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-29-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
Is it better to come straight at it or do more of a figure 8
Old    xxplosive            04-30-2005, 12:27 AM Reply   
Id say more a figure 8...dont wanna hit the waves at a 90...more like a 45 degree angle.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-30-2005, 6:31 AM Reply   
What Ryan? You HAVE to hit the wake at 90, or else you'll hit a competely closed D-Up.

Also, for anyone trying to learn how to drive a double up, don't forget this: it's 90 degrees with the wake, not 90 degrees with your boat path.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-30-2005, 6:56 AM Reply   
Yup Mike is right ,,,360 degrees on the boat and 90 degrees on the wake!
Old    clubjoeskier            05-02-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
I landed one today!!!!

Took me and hour to clean out my drysuit afterwards......
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2005, 6:02 PM Reply   
Sunday at Elsinore,Thanedogg took me on this d-up just the way we talked about it the day before and I do got to say ...Thane you gave me the NIIIICEST D-UP EVER.I felt like I shot up 10 feet,cleared the wake and landed it!!

Thanks Thane
Ohh BTW NIce TS3
Old    wakegal02            05-03-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
What skills should you have before you attempt a d-up? Are those falls bad, I kinda think they might cause if you do it right you should get a lot of air but then again it seems like the water would be a little softer than like a w2w since the water is in more motion, or am I completely wrong about the water on that one?
Old    clubjoeskier            05-04-2005, 5:32 AM Reply   
Good bowel control, for one.....I'll leave the rest to the experts, and listen with you...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-04-2005, 5:54 AM Reply   
"It's more like a letter "P"Driving point starts at the bottom of the letter and goes to the top and makes a circle down towards the middle of the straight line of the letter "P" "

That's a good way of describing it! At the Delta it becomes a bit more challenging and more like an elongated "Q" !
Old     (wakeboardbum)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-04-2005, 7:03 AM Reply   
i love double ups hit some of the biggest ever last weekend
tantrums off the dups are fun to
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-04-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Seriously.... They give you the ultimate boot. It's kind of a pain to throw them in the delta, but it's possible. Mike McMillen has thrown me the nastiest double ups I've ever ridden. He pre-turns, slows the boat to about 19, then gets it back up to speed for the rest of the turn. Sa-ick hang time. For me the timing took a while to figure out, but just pick what roller you want to hit and follow it all the way to the d-up. You definitely wont need to cut very hard.

Depending on how they are driven they can either be easy to hit or nearly imposible If you make it too tight you'll never be able to time it right.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-04-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
What Rich and Evan said!!