Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 1:12 PM Reply   
I'm getting close to purchasing an 04' Chevy Silverado SS with the 6.0 litre 345 hp V8 and am curious if anyone owns this truck and tows with it. actually, Chevy is trying hard to get their O4'S off the lot and i'm looking at a brand new black one fully loaded for $32,700 which is hard to pass up. i drove it the other day and it's got a lot of sack. it's got a nice tow package, all wheel drive, a more sophisticated suspension package and a heavy duty 4 speed automatic transmission. but as we all know, nothing beats up a truck like towing a boat all summer. does anyone have experience towing with this truck, i know it would probably dominate as a tow vehichle but i'm looking for specifics because i already own a 2000 Silverado 1500 and it's pretty solid with the boat behind it.
Old    swass            08-24-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
I didn't know Chevy made an AWD vehicle. Do you mean 4-wheel steering?
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
no not 4-wheel steering. the Super Sport has AWD, check out this link
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/ss.jsp

Old    swass            08-24-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
HUH! I learn something new every day. Enjoy!
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-24-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
The only thing I'd check out with the SS is what Chevy has as maximum towing capacity. I know that these have a sport suspension, and are built as a sport truck so the towing capacity may be lacking compared to your 1500. The power is there for sure and unless you're pulling an X-80 I think you'll be alright just check what Chevy lists as towing capacity and make sure your boat is well under that because there is no sense tearing up the suspension on a new SS if you have a 1500.
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
good point Ryan, thanks. i've already checked on that and the the SS has a 7500-lb towing capacity which is plenty for my 21.5 ft Centurion, and the SS is even rated for a heavier load than my 1500 which i think is around 5-6000 lbs. My question centers around the fact that the rear of the SS is lowered 2". What about the toungue weight of a boat? how do they design/engineer the rear suspension, or what do they use, to prevent the weight of a load from smashing the wheel wells into the tires. springs? rubber mallets?
Old    stereor102            08-24-2004, 2:53 PM Reply   
i have a chevy 1500 that is lowered 2" in the rear and i tow a x star just make sure you use the tow haul is on
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 3:47 PM Reply   
i do use the "tow/haul" mode when i pull my boat. but what i'm saying is that on a standard 1500, the rear is set 2" higher than the front to compensate for the weight of a boat or any heavy load for that matter. when a load of 3000lbs or more is being pulled with the regular 1500, the weight of the boat leaves about 2" from the wheel well to the tire. So, if the SS truck is already lowered 2" to begin with, what is used to keep the weight of a boat from causing the wheel wells and the tires from rubbing??
Old    swass            08-24-2004, 4:20 PM Reply   
Well, I was wrong once already, but...surely you have more than a 2" gap between the fender well and the tire? You'll get that much travel going over a speed bump or dip. Well, you will if you drive as fast as I do.

Tongue weight is only ~10% of your tow weight. That shouldn't be a problem.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-24-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
I have the 6.0 in my denali and love it. It tows so much better than the regular chevy/gmc motors. I also have the AWD on my truck and its the best part. The truck will not spin a tire for anything, even in the rain. You'll love it
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2004, 4:47 PM Reply   
My buddy has that exact truck you are talking about. Let me tell you, that is one SICK truck! Black with the 20's are sweet, by far my fav. truck out right now. He tows his X-Star with it and he says he cant feel the boat behind him. The tow/haul option is amazing on it. As for the wheel clearance, with his boat, not a problem at all. Also...that is the most throaty sounding and most amazing truck I have ever driven, i truly love and suggest it.
Old    stereor102            08-24-2004, 5:00 PM Reply   
what i was saying is i lowered mine and it did not effect the way it pulled at all and it looked alot better
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-24-2004, 5:03 PM Reply   
Be warned that while there is a slight difference in power between the 6.0 to the 5.3 liter, I don't think it outweighs the difference in gas mileage between the 2. I went from an 03' HD 1500 crew cab with a standard 6.0 to a 04' non-HD 1500 crew cab with a standard 5.3 and just the difference in gas has been worth loosing a year and a half worth of payments. Save yourself some money and just get something with the 5.3. Also the suspension shouldn't be a problem as I have lowered the rear end of mine 2 inches which is what you'll have and I have had no problems.

Chad
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
Ryan, dude i know the SS is sick! it had tons of power when i test drove it and just seemed like a rock solid truck all around, very stable and sturdy even compared to my 1500. i also understand that it won't slip at all, which proabably has a lot to do with the AWD or the p-traction. it's bascially a Camero set up to haul and tow. i love my 1500 Silverado and it tows great but its got 78k miles on it and above all, as Chad touhced upon in terms of saving $, my local dealer wants to get the 04's off the lot bad and has gone from the MSRP of $41,000 down to $32,000 as of today. doesn't that sound like a good deal? My 2000 Silverado 1500 LT fully loaded was 30k brnad new!!
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-24-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
joe - This will tow your set up just fine and also give you a great ride around town. 2 after market accessories you will want -

1) Airbags for the rear suspension, these can be adjusted for towing your boat, and keep your suspension in better shape for towing and braking.

2) slide-on towing mirrors. The small sport mirrors on the SS look great, but aren't good for seeing around your boat.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-24-2004, 6:10 PM Reply   
ya I think thats a really great deal. My friend just got a loaded 4x4 GMC and he paid right at that and his dad owns the dealership. So you're paying the same price for a way better truck. Flack makes a good point on the airbags, my truck has that as well and its awesome. So I would definetley get it. When you first get it you'll have to get used to the transmission, its a little different from your truck now. I didn't like this at first but when you get used to it, you'll never have another truck without the AWD and the 6.0
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-24-2004, 7:52 PM Reply   
Joe, give the dealer no more than $500 over dealer invoice. You can find out dealer invoice on the internet or simply ask them to show it to you.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-24-2004, 8:03 PM Reply   
What ever you do, DO NOT put the extend-o mirrors on it!!! You dont deserve to have a SS if you even consider that. Also, yes, the air bags are a must though, my buddy is getting them on his soon. Drop that sucker on the 20's in town and level it out when towing. With the black, tint it out in the front, get a stereo (sense it does not come with Bose) and you are set!
Even though we have not raced them, me and him think that his truck is as fast as my BMW.......Its F***ing sick! Handles amazing as well.
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-24-2004, 9:24 PM Reply   
Flack and Ryan, wouldn't the SS come with these air bags? it's supposed to have a pretty well designed "tow package." If not, how much are the air bags for the rear suspension and who can put them on? can the dealer do it? Is it really worth it, considering the towing capability and quality of the SS?
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-24-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
Now thinking about it, I proably wouldn't spend the money to do it after market. Mine came with it, and it is really nice but its not a must have. I mean if you were towing a cabin cruiser or something it might be necessary then, but not with a ski boat. It might come with it already, not really sure. It's an option on tahoe's and yukon's and its stock on denali and escalade. The newer tahoes might even be stock. Not really sure about that.
Old    purestructure03            08-24-2004, 10:54 PM Reply   
Although i don't drive an SS, i have seen several around hauling wakeboarding boats. Like everyone has said, airbags would be a good investment, but it is NOT necessary. We have a 2000 4.8l v8 1500 that was lowered and we never had a problem with it, we just decided to finally get airbags because it looked a little weird since the back was sagging. Personally, i think you'll be just fine with the SS.. Plus, it's a sweet truck!
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       08-24-2004, 11:38 PM Reply   
That's one awesome truck!!! I second (or third) the motion to get the air bags. Getting them installed on my wife's truck....and she has the 2500HD.
Old     (flackpack)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-25-2004, 8:41 AM Reply   
Joe - The tow package you get isn't suspension it is the add on itmes you need for towing. They should include the wiring harness, slide in hitch receiver, light plugs, and if it is any good, a transmission cooler. The air lift bags when un-inflated do nothing to the ride, but when you pump a bit of air in, they lift the rear end up and keep your towing geometry correct. Until you have towed with and without them you can't fully appreciate how good they are in helping to alleviate sway and increase braking. It will also keep your drive line at a better angle for longer life. It also will give the passengers a better ride while towing. You don't "need" it, but it is a great addition a few months after you've had the truck. www.ride-rite.com
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-26-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Have you driven a Ford lately?
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-26-2004, 8:40 AM Reply   
I haven't driven a ford lately but I did tow one back to the dealer with my Yukon last week (JK).
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-12-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
you mean F=Fix.O=Or.R=Repair.D=Daily lol j/p acctually fords are good trucks
Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 12:59 PM Reply   
You don't need air bags..... The truck is perfect as is. Great power & Handling. Out pulls a 5.3L hands down.
MY SS
Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 3:36 PM Reply   
Here is a pick with my SSV.

Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
And just the SS...
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2004, 5:16 PM Reply   
Joe! that truck is big pimpin...I LOVE RED!! I am thinkung about putting a SS grill shell and front bumper of my suburban. They have a cool agressave look.
Old     (jdaviso1)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 6:26 PM Reply   
F=Found
O=On
R=Road
D=Dead
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       09-13-2004, 6:28 PM Reply   
F=first
O=on
R=race
D=day
Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
Got to love the front grill..
Old    zboomer            09-14-2004, 8:51 AM Reply   
Verrrry nice. I totally dig the red. I've got a monochrome-red Dodge Dually to pull my red SSV as well. I'll try to get a good photo someday.

I love those big air intakes on the front of the SS, looks tough!
Old    stillstandin            09-15-2004, 10:35 PM Reply   
Cracked
Head
Every
Valve
Rotten
Oil
Leaks
Every
Time

Just kidding, thought I would thro that in there..I own one of each..a 2004 Ford f150 4X4, and a 2003 Chevy Suburban..both good vehicles.
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2004, 1:09 AM Reply   
If im not mistaken...those arent air intakes, i believe they are holes for fog lights.....am i wrong? I dont think they serve any purpose....
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2004, 1:23 AM Reply   
I hate Red vehicles...haha
application/x-macbinaryss
ss (124.4 k)
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       09-16-2004, 4:22 PM Reply   
Ryan,

The SS doesn't come with fog lights, that would be the normal fog placement on other '04 Chevy trucks, from what I have seen that is actually an air intake, not sure how much good it does.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2004, 4:46 PM Reply   
Faux brake cooling ducts?
Old     (easyrider)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-16-2004, 8:36 PM Reply   
I'll ask my buddy when he gets back from Shasta
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2004, 8:38 PM Reply   
thanks for the pics Joe, i know that truck tows like a champ. However, i've ousted the idea of the 04' SS and am now working out a deal for the 05' SS that just came in at my local dealership. I just started bargaining with the guy. From what i've researched and can tell, the 05' SS is not that different from the 04'. Any takes out there on the 05' compared to the 04'? Joe?
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-16-2004, 8:59 PM Reply   
Even though the SS is sweeter, my rig is still hard to get rid of and still does the job BUT i hear ya Joe on that 6.0 litre!!
 00' Silverado 1500
Old    bigdeal            09-16-2004, 9:09 PM Reply   
Joe...Just a general comment from reading this thread. If the '05 SS is not appreciably different than the '04, why wouldn't you go for the '04? Hands down, it will be the better deal in terms of $$$. The motivation (and incentives) will definitely be there on the '04 given we're setting on the end of the model year.

Based on what I've seen at our local dealers here in Orlando, I'd offer the following suggestion. Look into a nicely equipped 2x4 extended cab 1500 that you could probably buy for around $25 out the door. Visit your local wheel and tire place for a pair of 20's of 'your' choice and a billet grill, and pocket the $5K+ difference!
Old     (joeysprague)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-17-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
good advice Mike. Just since yesterday i've steered back toward the 04' SS as i go over my finances and come to grips with the fact that the 04' simply makes better financial sense. As far as considering a new regular 2x4 ext cab 1500 instead, it's not desirable because i'm more interested in what's under the hood of an SS more than anything else which is why i would keep my current 2x4 ext cab 1500 rather than buy a new 2z4 ext cab 1500. if i go new, i'll go all the way with the SS. thanks for everyone's input
Old     (pfleiger)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-17-2004, 11:22 AM Reply   
The 2004 & 2005 SS are exactly the same. You should be able to get a 2004 for around $32-$33k with the current factory incentives. These trucks tow like champs and are a blast to drive. I threw on an intake system & magnaflow muffler and ran 0-60 in 5.9 seconds via my G-Tech-Pro (www.gtechpro.com). If you want to learn more about SS's check out www.silveradoss.com