Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-29-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
I was just checking out the site I guess they have a two tower cable and winch park. Anyone ever been? Thinking about checking it out this weekend
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-29-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788331

been meaning to get down there to check it out for you guys... I've heard in the past years with their winch that it's been ****ty, but maybe there is hope with the new System 2.0. If you go this weekend, post the details and let us know
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-02-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
Did you end up checking it out?

I think I am gonna head up there for their rail jam next Saturday (July 9)

Hopefully they got a decent operator on the 2.0 as that makes all the difference.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2011, 7:51 PM Reply   
Just came back. Heres what I learned..

- If you are a goofy rider its tough cause everything is set up for regular riders (I suck so my toeside is limited)
- The cable line slacks a ton so it has a very unstable pull
- If it rains at all they shut it down because of the off chance the 7000 dollar remote gets wet
- You are allowed two full runs back and forth and you have to give it up for the next person, today wasnt too crowded but expect a 15-30min wait between sets
- Kicker is nothing too special, about 4-5 feet tall pretty gradual.
- A-frame rail is hard to lock on because of the unstable pull of the cable but if you are regular or really good at goofy then you should have little to no problem

All in all place for cable was about 4 out of 10 but there are a ton of other activites to do such a ziplines etc which make the place a ton of fun
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
I was told they also plan on putting in a second 2.0 by the end of the summer and a 3rd next summer. New obstacles will include more rails and a quarter pipe. Hopefully they tighten the cables lol
Old     (blatantblunts)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-05-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
great info henry, thanks.. For now I think i'm just gonna stick behind the boat, but if they do end up putting in a second cable and more features, it might be worth checkin out later this summer
Old     (WakeisLife)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-15-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
I dont know guys I go there like everyday and had those features on lock. I think you just need to get used to the feel of riding the 2.0 cuz its so long so its different then most. Rumor has it they are putting in two more 2.0s for next season and a butt ton of new features. I love the place and the people that work and ride there. It does suck when they close it for rain but I got them to stay open when it was drizzling once and rode by myself all day. I posted some pics of the dudes that ride there.
Attached Images

Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-15-2011, 11:34 AM Reply   
WTF??? A system 2 can not be set up for regular/goofy like a normal cable. You turn around and come back and all the obsticles are on the other side! Nobody caught that?
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       12-15-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
Never mind my last post, i guess if the kicker/rail is not hitable from both sides it could be set up for goofy/regular. Placid in michigan has it set up so you can hit everything both ways. Why would you build stuff that can only be hit one way?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-15-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
When I went, the cable was so saggy that no one could reach the obstacles, let alone do any air tricks. It was no fun. We also had to wait in line for like 2 hours to do it. Don't go unless they've made some major changes.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-15-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
The cable also runs on a generator. They need to run electric to the wakeboarding part of the park. The generator slows down then the system draws more power and slows down and is kind of a hang up. Also cable was saggy like thehebrewhammer said. Brownstone needs to step up, the only thing they have going for them is that they are the only cable in the northeast (as far as I know).
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-16-2011, 11:40 AM Reply   
The impression I got was that no one working there actually knew anything about wakeboarding. What they are is a huge water park that's mostly full of 9-year-old's piss. It's a pretty disgusting place to be on a busy day, and the staff have some truly ridiculous safety rules. While I was there, a little girl climbed up to a big slide and was afraid to go down. She could have easily and safely climbed back down, especially with the help of the staff (who are supposed to be trained lifeguards), but they wouldn't let her. They said that she had to go down the slide for safety reasons. She stood crying hysterically and freezing her ass off at the stop of the slide for 4 hours until the park closed before they finally allowed a staff member to climb up and help her climb down. On top of that, they said no one could go ahead of her in the mean time, even though there was enough standing room at the top of the slide for at least 20 people, so the slide was closed the entire time. Everyone was just floating in the water around her shouting things and laughing at her. It will probably be the most traumatic experience of her childhood.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-16-2011, 2:54 PM Reply   
@melvinator the rail is built to hit both ways but by the time you turn around you do not have enough time to set your self up for it. Rail was poorly placed
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-16-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
From the pics I'm seeing, it seems like things have gotten better since I went this summer.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-17-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
if its these pics youre talking about, they just made them look pretty
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-18-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
I have gone to this park for every summer for the past 4 years. It has gone through quite the process. It used to be just winchs, now its a system 2.0 and the kids who go have skills. I really love going simply because its a great place to learn. The kicker gives you enough time to try new stuff you havent had time to learn behind the boat. and the people who go are all just so siked to ride that its just a great environment no matter what kind of tricks youre throwing down.

If you go, stay from open till close its the only way to get your moneys worth. and the end of the day from about 5-close is when the wakeboard section of the park really shines. All the kids and camps have left and you just get to rock the cable in peace. It was just me and my bro left this past summmer and we just took turns riding for as long as we wanted .My bro wakeskis and actually got tired from riding so it turned out to be just me riding until the park closed. That same day i took the time and I learned 360s off the kicker and am now doing them consistently behind my boat which is sick . If you saw the park when it was running on winchs, youll know how far its come. THis summer's only gonna be better. The rental fees on the house equipment keep first timers off the cable and allow us real riders who bring our own equipment to ride without the long lines that existed in the past. come support the park, theres such a great community of wakeriders in the northeast and we need to make sure that the new cable craze thats sweeping the nation doesn't overlook new england.

Oh yeah, Shawn watson visited the park last summer and after ripping it up, was chilling with all the riders. Def a day to remember, hopefully he'll find his way back again because it was so great to watch real talent and it just overall brought a real epic feeling to the day.

Heres some pics of me riding lol

The A frame takes a few hits to get used to but after that its just too easy

Mid bs180

Right after the Nose grab on a fs180

Just kinda hanging out during a fs180

Im still learning how to load the line hahahah

SO i hope this has helped anyone who was interested in the park. I have already bought my season pass and hope to see you guys there! Feel free to msg me with questions.=)
Old     (WakeisLife)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 7:24 AM Reply   
This year's Rail Jam will be held on May 26th. The Park has installed 2 more system 2 cable systems and has picked up features from mount snow and granite gorge to float this summer. Oakley, Monster, Liquid Force, East Coastin, and Steez mini mag will be on site with prizes and give aways!!!!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-11-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Hey, I am moving to CT in a week and very excited to see a park up there!

What kind of rental equipment do they have at brownstone? Can you hit the rails with it? Where is a good wake shop in CT?

Thanks!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-11-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
They didn't really have rental equipment when I went. There were like 2 or 3 boards on the dock for you to choose from. I think they had helmets you had to rent. You can def hit rails. There aren't any good wake shops in CT, but A&S boats and Candlewood East Marina are decent. If you're a serious wakeboarder, get out to Candlewood Lake. It's CT's wake hotspot. Other than that, no one in CT gives a rat's ass about wakeboarding.
Old     (ShredCandlewood)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-11-2012, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
They didn't really have rental equipment when I went. There were like 2 or 3 boards on the dock for you to choose from. I think they had helmets you had to rent. You can def hit rails. There aren't any good wake shops in CT, but A&S boats and Candlewood East Marina are decent. If you're a serious wakeboarder, get out to Candlewood Lake. It's CT's wake hotspot. Other than that, no one in CT gives a rat's ass about wakeboarding.
Whoaa. I wouldnt say no one else in CT cares. Wakeboarding has taken me to almost every lake in CT for clinics and every place has riders waiting that are amped to ride. We definately have the biggest scene in the area on candlewood but there is support all over as well.

Brownstone is going to be kicked up a notch this year. The crew there is working hard to make it awesome for all of us and the Shred Candlewood/East Coastin collaboration is going to be epic.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-11-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Sorry if that was too strong. I guess I'm a little bitter because I found the CT wake scene really disappointing when I was trying to get my start there. It's not exactly fertile ground, especially compared to my new home in Florida. In fact, I wouldn't say there was "support all over." Not even close.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-11-2012, 3:19 PM Reply   
3 new systems at brownstone? I might have to make another trip down
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 3:24 PM Reply   
I go to school very close to here, I wonder how it is? Is it worth investing in a slinger and season pass to ride septempeber/October while I'm at school?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 3:32 PM Reply   
Also for shops: there's only 2 wake dedicated shops I know of in new england and those are in new Hampshire and Maine. They both allow you to demo boards. The scene is pretty dead here, probably because of the seasons... I hope that someone can get a cable open in western mass some day because that's central to ny vt ct ri and Ma, I'd also like to see a PWT stop here in the future
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-11-2012, 4:15 PM Reply   
Yep, CT wakeboarding is a bit rough...the place i used to demo from went out of business i think so i have to buy pretty much everything online.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2012, 5:18 PM Reply   
DId they run power out to the systems or are they all going to be run off of generators. I thought that was a little bush league to be running a system 2 off of a generator. I think it would definitely be a better pull off of a constant electricity source.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 5:38 PM Reply   
guess theres a decent amount of you guys here in CT
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-11-2012, 8:01 PM Reply   
Charlie at A and S boats is a great guy! I've never actually demoed a board, but im sure he'd let you if you asked. I buy all my stuff from him, its nice to have a dealer you can simply call up and ask random questions to. and I am really excited for all the upgrades to brownstone this year! Got my season pass already lol And if anyone ever finds themself down by the shore westbrook/clinton/old saybrook area hit me up! always down to give a tow.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-11-2012, 8:44 PM Reply   
Yep, I dealt with Charlie once. A+ character!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-11-2012, 9:24 PM Reply   
got our lift from him, nothing but anything good to say
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Cool to see some CT love!

where is A and S boats?

I know i asked this already, but does anyone else know about the rental equipment at brownstone?

thanks again!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-12-2012, 10:11 AM Reply   
google FFS!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-12-2012, 11:50 AM Reply   
as of last year you could rent helmets and boards, but only one rental board could be used to hit features and it was no good, def bring your own gear. Chances are that someone there will let you try their setup if you ask nicely. Its a great community of people with common interest who go, as being a wakeboarder can be kind of lonely in CT.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-12-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Damn, i always thought i was the only CT guy on wakeworld where is everyone from? Im from a little town up in the northwest corner called Goshen.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
I'm not from here but go to school In new haven
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-12-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
I grew up in Wallingford. My father works in New Haven. Mike, do you know Jerry Kaizer? He has a lake house in Goshen on Tyler Lake, IIRC, and he likes to ski behind his red MC Prostar 190.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-12-2012, 5:10 PM Reply   
Simplej what school do you go to...and Tyler lake is right down the road from me, i dont go there much but i have some friends that live there, if he has been in goshen a while im sure my old man knows him. What a small world!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-12-2012, 5:35 PM Reply   
guess there could be quite a crew here... mike ill PM you
Old     (ShredCandlewood)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-15-2012, 12:07 PM Reply   
I live right on candlewood and run Shred Candlewood there everday in the summer. Always down to ride with some new people.
Old     (hyperlite_boards)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-15-2012, 1:55 PM Reply   
haha i go to school at Canterbury...right down the road from candlewood
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-22-2012, 5:07 PM Reply   
I went there last summer, and didn't really know what to expect. It was busy, and a bit unorganized. We kept getting cut.

Everyone got 2 laps, which didn't seem very long. On the day I went, you couldn't do much besides surface tricks because you'd overload the generator and get kicked off. Pretty much what people posted above. ^^

We happened to go the day Shawn Watson and Liquid Force was there, which was a cool surprise. He's a nice guy, and gave my step daughter a few tips.

I'm from Western MA, and honestly, it's sort of lonely out here for wakeboarders. Actually, I've had to explain wakeboarding to people more times than I can count, and one time, a guy even asked us "why we put a roll cage on our boat..." Um...

We'll mostly be on Congamond in Southwick this summer, so if you see a Bayliner with a tower, feel free to come over and say hi.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-23-2012, 12:39 PM Reply   
I am procrastinating studying for my final and used my time wisely to make this edit of my footage from Brownstone last season. Hope you guys enjoy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8SyUR7sPng
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-09-2012, 5:03 AM Reply   
Not sure if anyone else checked the FB page and saw this but Harley Clifford will be there monday/tuesday!!!!
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-09-2012, 8:15 AM Reply   
I saw that!!! I was at least going to go there to take pictures. You going?
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-09-2012, 9:16 AM Reply   
Yes I am! I can't tell you how excited I am! the morning before I saw the post, My cooworker and I were talking about people we'd love to meet before we die. Harley was my #1 hahaha Shes a surfer so hers was Laird Hamilton but you know, I'm ecstatic to say the least.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2012, 1:06 PM Reply   
just got done spending the morning at brownstone! I had a good time. First time being pulled by a cable, it is definitely different!

that is cool harley is going to be there! maybe i can make it up again!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-24-2012, 6:33 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHERpbAU7Fc The new kicker arrived! this is just a montage of a few hits from the day. there's going to be a rail jam on september 22nd!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-25-2012, 7:47 AM Reply   
Can anyone actually say if it is worth the drive and money? I don't want to waste a day to go to a poorly run cable. Can go during the week to avoid lines. I used to work on Candlewood and live on Lillinonah and also ride Zoar.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       08-25-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyA View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHERpbAU7Fc The new kicker arrived! this is just a montage of a few hits from the day. there's going to be a rail jam on september 22nd!
Omg! There are some good crashes in this video!!!
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-25-2012, 9:43 AM Reply   
Thanks. they actually didn't hurt at all hahha my brother on the wakeskis took one hard one because he threw his head into one of his skis but thats what helmets are for hahha. and Dan it's worth the drive. Definatly go during the week.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-25-2012, 10:00 AM Reply   
I was just up there for a couple of days recently.
Overall I had an awesome time. The local crew along with the cable ops are a great fun to ride with and it's a very welcoming vibe.
They now have three 2.0's and there are rumors of a few more going in.
The new kicker is a very welcome feature and the rail is pretty fun to hit.
Honestly the big downside is that it's an amusement park first and foremost and not a dedicated cable park. What that means is that there are sometimes long lines with lots of beginners learning to ride and falling a lot..........on all the cables. It would be great if they could allocate one of the cables as the "advanced" cable for those customers who can ride. They also limit everyone to 2 runs only. If they were to double the runs on a cable for advanced users and this place would be top notch.
They way to get around that is to go mid week and plan to be the 1st one through the gate and hit the cable right away. I got a bunch of fun runs in. It will then ease up again late in the day when everyone leaves. Rainy days also keep the crowds away, however, torrential rain or lightning will shut the cable down.

All I can say is that if you're a local rider that wants to see more cable in CT then you have to show your support for this spot. Mike the manager there has his head in the right place and wants to see this park develop and progress. It's not going to happen though unless real riders show real support..........this is where you pay your dues locals. Support it while it's a bit tough and enjoy the fruits of an awesome setup later. There is another full size quarry lake next door.........perfect for a full system.............hint hint!!
Old     (hco)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-25-2012, 11:08 AM Reply   
My main concern is that if its true that they are having power issues with a generator running 3 system 2.0's. Its just a far drive and expensive enough that I am basically trading a full day on the boat for this, so I have my hesistations of just heading right up.
Old     (ShredCandlewood)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-25-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Their generator issue has been taken care of. We have loaded the line HARD and its running fine. We watched Harley kill it on it. If its good enough for him its most likely good enough for all of us.
Old     (Dustfarter)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-26-2012, 9:50 AM Reply   
Dan. I'm 200lbs and ride pretty hard. There were no power issues for me even when loaded up the line as hard as I could......
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-30-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
Here's a new video i made! hope you enjoy! Still a lot of crashes, but more lands. Definitely learning and progressing.
http://youtu.be/MYLeHlDWVdw