Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-20-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
Rusty said his goal was to land a 12 but after a few months I still haven't seen it. Bob is super close. I thought I heard about Steel Lafferty trying them off the wake last summer. Danny Harf seems healthy enough to try again. Any ideas why it's been almost two years since anyone landed a 12 off the double up?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
Harley is trying and getting close I heard.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-20-2010, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
Any ideas why it's been almost two years since anyone landed a 12 off the double up?
i'm guessing 'cause it's hard.
Old     (Cisco)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-20-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
Hooray for Harley! That kid represents the future of this sport, and it kinda scares me!
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-20-2010, 11:42 PM Reply   
You never know someone could have done it and its being kept secret till the wake awards. But regardless its an insane amount of rotations to be squeezed in before you land. I think it took Harf like 300 tries before he hit his first.

I remember when Rusty's goals were hit a 10 in comp and hit a w2w 10... at the time I thought that was just ridiculous but he has done both now.

Its really a tossup with who will do it next between Rathy, Bob, Harley, Rusty, and Steel. But I'm going to guess Steel.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-21-2010, 4:41 AM Reply   
I understand that most of these guys have 10's pretty much on lock. danny is a machine just like the rest of the field of this caliber, but realisticly i dont see a 12 in a contest for a good while. It took danny sooooo many tries to get the 12 and he skidded it out. (not to discredit at all) What im saying is that is how hard the trick really is. its beyond the "extra 180" senario that most are thinking. The conditions have to be more perfect than those of a 10. Props to all the boys getting out there and going for it though. With all the persistance its bound to happen again for sure....just not sure how fast.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2010, 7:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
i'm guessing 'cause it's hard.
Smart ass LOL
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-21-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
No. It took 7 years for the 1080 to be followed up.
Parks= 1999
Harf= 2006

(Less Mark Kenny because of no documentation)
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-21-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
Yeah I'm with Justin. The first 10 was way before its time, and I wont be suprised to see the same thing with a 12. Spins have gone out of style a little bit now anyway, double flips seem to be the cool thing to do. Or backside spins.
Old    BENJTROGDON            06-21-2010, 6:11 PM Reply   
I dont think that 1260s are too far ahead of our time. whenever Danny landed the 1260, many people have done 1080s and at that point had them on lock. And now, there are even more people with 1080s and some are being done off the wake. When Parks landed the first 1080, it was like less than a year ago that the first 900 was landed. I do agree that Parks' 1080 was ahead of his time though. I'm predicting that in the next two years that MULTIPLE pro riders will be sticking 1260s. I think there are many riders that could be stickng them by the end of this season, no doubt
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2010, 6:13 PM Reply   
I'm shocked Rathy hasn't landed a 12 by now. From what I saw his 1080s were super floaty (for a 1080), so it seemed like he would have been the one to get that extra rotation in to land a 12.

I don't think the 7 year mark will be even remotely applicable with 1260s though, just look at how many guys have stuck 1080s (and not just one or two, but multiple in a week). Back when Parks landed it weren't 900's just barely becoming the big spin? The 12 went down at the same time as a w2w 10 among others, and shortly after they were being grabbed by rathy.

I think we'll see another 12 within the next year or so.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-21-2010, 6:17 PM Reply   
A few of you have stated that there are riders with 1080s "on lock." Thats a stretch. Who is landing 1080s reguarly? Noone to my knowledge, even for Rusty or Harf, I dont think its an every day event. "On lock" to me implies they land them 9/10 times or even 4/5. I HIGHLY doubt anyone has 1080s that down.
Old     (lachieb)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-21-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
harley is landing one nearly every day.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
12s are for sure going to start droppin. Rusty has that 10 on lock off the dub. Harley has been saying his are getting pretty consistent. One more 180 to these guys when it does not involve a handle pass is not much harder for them. Rathy's 10s from what ive seen have been heelside and i do agree they are super floaty but a heel 12, that landing would be HARD
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 7:58 PM Reply   
I really think its a question of how badly they want it. I have no doubt one or all of the big spinning guys could do it but it wont come easy for any of them. I personally dont think we will see any this year.

Mind you I would love to see a HS 12, that would be something else, 4 handle passes!
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-21-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
I wonder if Rathy could drop a switch toe 12.... I feel like then he'd be landing similar to a regular 10. Just the takeoff is different. Has he done any toe 10s? I can't remember. I kinda stopped paying attention cause he just kept landing them.
Old     (Focker4)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-21-2010, 8:15 PM Reply   
I concur with Adam. While a lot of 1080's have been being landed it's definitely pushing it say a lot of people have them 'on lock'. If this were the case Rusty wouldn't be so lonely in having landed them in a comp. When Parks' stuck his back in 1999 it was way, way ahead of it's time. But Parks was in his prime then, and quite frankly, Parks was heads and shoulders above just about everyone then. I personally think we'll see another 12 sooner rather than later simply because you're landing open to the boat. The same principle with the toe 5 and toe 3. A lot of people think the 5 is easier than the 3 (myself included) simply because of landing open to the boat rather than blind. Id imagine the difficult part of the 12 just comes with the mass amount of spinning and trying to have some indication of where you are...but with the ways these guys are boosting off dups and the wakes the boats these days can kick out, yeah I dont think it'll be too long. I havent seen it in a long time but even in the video of Danny's he had some attempts where he easily had the air/time/rotation to spin the 12... Id think its just matter of being able to keep it all together while spinning that much, that fast, in that short amount of time. That said my money's on Harley - seems like I remember seeing him spin his first 10 with about an easy 3-4 feet of air to spare.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-21-2010, 9:06 PM Reply   
Rathy has done the toeside 10
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-21-2010, 9:30 PM Reply   
Theres a video of Harley stomping 2 10's and a toe back 7 in a set. I'd say thats pretty dang good contender for a 12. I watched it the other day but seemed to have forgotten where it was at. Let me do some searching again
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2010, 3:07 AM Reply   
wow!!!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2010, 4:19 AM Reply   
At least another year for sure
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-22-2010, 4:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdork88 View Post
wow!!!
i think i just shat myself
Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       06-22-2010, 6:45 AM Reply   
That video is insane! Do we know if that was one outing or a couple days worth of video? I have never seen so many 9s, 7s, mobe 5s and 10's ever in one video.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-22-2010, 8:28 AM Reply   
Both of the ten's looked pretty clean in that video.

I think Rathy (once he's healthy) or Clifford have a good chance of stomping a 12.
Old     (Bill_Dad)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-22-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
hi jason
that was filmed the same day, Harley just changed shorts during the day, i know he is working on a couple of different moves as well for trick of the year
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-22-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
Rusty lands a 10 almost every time when he is free riding, It's on lock
Old     (jonb)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-22-2010, 5:39 PM Reply   
My guess would be Steel Lafferty. w2w 10s. I got to watch him freeride a couple weeks back and it was pretty amazing.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2010, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Dad View Post
hi jason
that was filmed the same day, Harley just changed shorts during the day, i know he is working on a couple of different moves as well for trick of the year
I'd need to change my shorts after hitting those double ups too.
Old     (clarkduh)      Join Date: Aug 2009       06-22-2010, 7:26 PM Reply   
Nobody seems to take into account the falls these guys are taking on these tricks. Theres no such thing as just going out and trying a bunch of 10's or 12's and thats the end of the story... Spinning that fast boosting off double ups as hard as they can go has consequences. At that point, landing while rotating that fast after losing the handle can tweak anything with ease, especially landing on the lip of the wake or in the trough, and so on. I give mad props to anybody attempting tricks like this especially with the size of wakes/ double ups nowadays. While i dont doubt how close they are coming to getting 10's consistent or dropping 1260's, the door is wide open for injury and thats always something that needs to be accounted for. I dont mean to change the positive mood, just wanted to make a point. persuing trick of the year is risky business :-P ~cheers!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-22-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Harley, within a few months, is my guess. That kid is on fire, stomping new tricks every day it seems. OK, not every day, but.. damn. And I also noticed what focker4 said; on his first one he had a couple feet of air spare, he could have done it right there!
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-23-2010, 4:57 AM Reply   
I dunno.....well just have to see.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-23-2010, 4:59 AM Reply   
If Dave Williams was smart he'd start one of the pick'em things. The way people do with a womans due date. Put 5$ for each day you pick and if you hit it you get the pot...hahaha
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       06-23-2010, 9:37 PM Reply   
I really don't think one will go down until after the pro tour winds down. There are probably five or six guys that might be able to land a 12, but those guys are also competing for the KOW title right now. A 12 would be sick, but is it worth risking the extra crashes trying one now when you might be in contention to win some serious prize money on the pro tour? Also, while I think that Harf's 12 is the most difficult trick ever landed, I don't think a switch toeside 12 should win move of the year again. Even if another toeside 12 is the hardest trick that gets landed, it should be a trick that has never been done before that wins.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-24-2010, 1:48 AM Reply   
As much as I'd like to see another ts 12... I really want to see a ts bs 9
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2010, 4:39 AM Reply   
YES.......and i will predict Shane or Hutton to get that one.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   

from Brad Smeele on Vimeo.

Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       06-24-2010, 10:17 AM Reply   
With out TRYING to sound like a smart ass, but what does this prove?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-24-2010, 10:23 AM Reply   
all i saw was a very good pro rider doing awesome spins and inverts , but nothing to indicate a 1260 in his future other than hard work and determination are some of his traits.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Doesn't really prove anything, but cool video, huh? Basically just showing how crazy these guys can spin nowadays. Two tens in one set and i'm sure if he really went for a 12 on both of those he would have come very close. During the season is not the time the guys are going to be trying to hit 12s when they can try and get 10s consistent off the double up. Not worth risking injury right in the middle of a heated tour race. Look how Harf got his. It was the day before the trick of the year was given out so he decided to go for it and sure enough, he hit it. Unless it is one of the guys that isn't in the hunt, we won't be seeing a 12 for a couple more months. When a guy like Rusty can hit a 10 w2w, he can definitely add a 180 off of a good double up. Next season we will see a few of the guys having w2w 10s in their pass. I think the wake size has pretty much maxed out so they are going about as big as they can off the wake and I don;t think that w2w 12s will be seen until a few more years, You can only spin so fast at such a height that at some point there are limits. It is like in snowboarding when these guys get a kicker that is so big they can rotate a 1440 or 1260 but when it comes to a regular park kicker, a 12 is pretty hard to come by. Now with that being said, i think we will be seeing a lot of 12s hit soon and as a cable rider, it is just as exciting to see that as it is a 12 off of the double up.
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2010, 11:48 AM Reply   
Don't buy into the "waiting until the tour is over philosophy" too much. Rathy hit that Backside 10 in July last year, right in the middle of the season.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 3:03 PM Reply   
And now he is injured and not riding the tour...
Old     (alevitt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-24-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
But he wasn't injured when he won Wakestock, WWA Worlds, King of Wake, Rider of the Year, Move of the Year, etc....
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
I'm not saying it can't happen. I am just saying that it is risky. He kept trying to progress the sport and unfortunately hurt himself doing it. It is part of the job, but a lot of other guys won't be trying new tricks that have the potential for injury until the season is over. This is not saying any of their tricks can be the one that takes them out, but it is a higher risk trying something new verses something you have more consistent, are more comfortable with, and know what to expect from the falls. And i'm not saying i don't want them to learn new stuff during the season because i do!! It is just part of the business side of the sport and been part of the trend when the season is on.