Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-01-2009, 7:36 PM Reply   
Hey guys,
My family wants to plan a trip with our new Nautique down to Florida during spring break (Mid April) and I'm trying to gather opinions from those who have made trips before. I need help finding a location that will please everyone. Being that it's not just my father and I, We are going to need to do more than just boat the whole time. We are going to need something close to the beach while still maintaining a short distance from nice lakes.

Anyone ever ride down the intercoastal? I'm wondering if that would be a good medium. I've ridden the Orlando area, very nice place but we need something a little closer to the ocean. If anyone can give me some places that they enjoyed I'd appreciate it. Thank you.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-01-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
I would say check out winter haven.

There is a hotel that has docks, on a lake... then you are 40 min from Orlando, 1 hr. from Tampa/St. Pete and 1 hr 20 min from Cocoa beach.

I love it there....tons of pros to ride/get caoching from too.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-01-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Unfortunately I need something pretty much right on the ocean, And probably 20-30 minutes or less to a nice lake. This is why I thought the intercoastal might be a good option.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-01-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Hmmm.... I would check Cocoa then.... they have the indian river which every time I drive by looks calm enough to ride.

plus the town is cool, okay surf, and still only 35 from Orlando for some nightlife if you want
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-02-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Cocoa does seem like a good option. Not a far distance from Orlando. Anyone have any experience with the area?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
BTW Awesome boat.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-02-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
I've been to Palm beach with the boat. Nice set of three or four lakes for boarding.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-02-2009, 11:37 AM Reply   
The lakes down in west palm (Lake Osborne for example) are good for boarding during the week, but jet ski city during the weekend. If you get a permit there are private lakes at okeeheelee park that are fantastic.

If you are ok with putting it in salt, the intracoastal here has some spots that are great for riding during the week, but have a ton of boat traffic on the weekend.
Old     (jflo453)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-02-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
I live in vero beach and ride on the indian river alot and there are some good canals and what not winding through the bays as well. Definitely worth considering
Old     (tarpongator)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-02-2009, 11:57 AM Reply   
You could do Lake Tarpon (Tarpon Springs) and Clearwater Beach.
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-02-2009, 12:21 PM Reply   
We would be there for the majority of the week so the intracoastal could work. I'd probably need to find a marina to let us rent a slip for the week.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-02-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Nick,

Congrats on the new boat!! I would recommend the St. John's River near Astor, FL. Daytona Beach is only about 35 miles away. The St. John's is mostly uninhabited, which makes it a paradise for scenery & wildlife. You do, however, have to know where to go since there are several no wake zones.

Here is a link (that includes pics of the river) to a motel lots of wakeboarders use:

http://www.blairsjungleden.com/motel.htm

If you decide to lodge in Daytona Beach, you can put in on the St. John's just West of Deland on SR44. That's only about 25 miles out.

(Message edited by wakekat15 on February 02, 2009)
Old     (lakemiltonwake08)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-02-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
Looks like a really nice place Kat. Thank you. It will be one of our options.
Old     (nautiquetrevo)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-02-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Nick, if you don't mind putting your boat in the salt, then I would say the intercoastal around the Daytona Beach area is a great area to boat and ride.

I live in Port Orange which is about 5 minutes South, and the intercoastal is a great area to ride here. There are some islands and beaches to stop at and plenty of restaurants.

The link below is a great marina to dock at and they have a public ramp right at the marina. http://www.halifaxharbor.net/index.htm

The map below shows a great channel to ride in and some surrounding Islands that are great to stop at. The inlet shown is called Ponce Inlet and is just a few minutes South of Daytona Beach

Upload