Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       04-23-2013, 5:53 AM Reply   
Just got a Guest 2611A dual bank shore charger for my SANTE 210. My batteries are located on port side and starbard side. This is presenting a problem because the charging cables will not reach both sides. Has anyone ever lengthened the charging cables? I was going to mount in starboard storage locker which will allow easy plug-in and work for battery #1. The cable for battery #2 will reach the port side storage locker so I will probably have to lenghten about 3 ft.

Thoughts????
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-23-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
I am not a battery expert, but if the batteries are hooked together shouldn't it only be necessary to hook to one battery and leave your battery switch on both to keep them charged? That is how I keep my batteries charged and never an issue.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       04-23-2013, 7:38 AM Reply   
Are you talkning about charging with the alternator or battery tender? I am talking about hooking them up to a shore charger meaning the boats battery switch will be in the off position. The shore charger is a trickle charger which will condition the batteries when not in use and maintain them longer or did I misunderstand your post?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-23-2013, 8:19 AM Reply   
Yeah I understood. I leave my battery switch on both and hook my battery tender. I just hook to one battery though. Not sure that I am doing it right, but I have never had any issues.
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       04-23-2013, 8:35 AM Reply   
Gotcha. I would rather leave my boat off since I keep it on a lift at the marina and it can go unattended for 1-2 weeks. The dual bank battery tender is designed to trickle charge two batteries, just not sure if there are any dangers lengthening one bank to reach the 2nd battery?

The Guest phone# had been disconnected, but was able to get technical support through Marinco....they said lengthening wire would not cause problems.

Last edited by QuickVR4; 04-23-2013 at 8:39 AM. Reason: New Info
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-23-2013, 8:36 AM Reply   
Brent,
Some battery charger manufacturers discourage the practice of lengthening the charger leads for reasons of liability. Check with the charger manufacturer as to whether this would void the warranty. Once you get past that, I cannot see a legit technical reason to not extend one wire set by a distance as small as 3 feet. Just make sure that the wire gauge is consistent and that you have the best possible connection (I recommend solder and heatshrink).

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (QuickVR4)      Join Date: May 2012       04-23-2013, 8:41 AM Reply   
Thanks David. They said anything under 20 ft and I could use 14 ga. Over 20 ft. they suggested 10 ga and keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible so I am good to go. Thanks and will definitely solder & heatshrink.
Old     (corerider)      Join Date: May 2008       04-23-2013, 8:54 AM Reply   
I had to lengthen 2 cables of my 3 bank charger for similar reasons as you. Pro Mariner offered a kit to do it, but I didn't really like the way it's was implemented. You basically bolted the kit on the rings that would go to the battery terminals and it added length and another set of fuses (that were higher amp ratings than the fuses already in place) So you had 20 and 25 amp fuses in the same wiring harness which made no sense to me or Pro Mariner when questioned about it. I lengthened the wires myself with 12 awg cables and no issues in the past year of use.

Pro Mariner did say this would void the warranty cutting the factory harness, but as long as the job is done right I don't think you will have issues either. Just use quality parts and make good connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk