Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2005, 8:54 AM Reply   
I have a competition ski boat (20 foot) - I have some questions about weighing down the boat to make a bigger wake.

Will there be a difference in the wake size if 700 pounds is equally distributed on the sides of the engine compartment vs. 700 pounds directly in the back of the boat (ie, a fat sack seat)- ????

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
Yea there will be!

Weight In the center of the boat will just increase the volume,weight in the back will make the wake more vert but you got to keep in mind that too much weight in the back make the boat plane like crap and CAN also make the wake washy so you want to be able to plane out nicely though try to put as much weight in the back as possible without making the wake washy.Some boats if you put too much weight in the back it can make the wake soft!!
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       01-29-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Ronia,

Try lead. Water patrol can't see them!

Tim
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       01-29-2005, 11:00 AM Reply   
Ronai, What kind of boat? Check mine in profile...I carry 650lbs. of lead always..use fat sacs if kids want it big. I have it hidden all around the boat. In the sides, bow and behind and in the rear seat. You have to deside and try different places.
Rich
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2005, 12:40 PM Reply   
a 20 foot Ski Brendella competition ski boat. Don't want to use lead because we tow the boat everywhere. My boyfriend is 6'3" and is already crammed inside the boat. I want to put some fat sacks on the side and build boxes around them. He suggests just putting a sack in the back (building a sunpad) and leaving him some legroom inside the boat. I'm starting to think his idea will actually get us a bigger wake.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
I'm gonna assume it's a direct drive. 350 lbs on each side of the engine would be a very good start. That's how I would do it. I would also make sure that you got some sacks with covers so that you could walk on them.

Lead is another alternative for adding weight to your boat. The advantage with lead is obviously it's weight to volume ratio. It takes up way less room, but the bad side is that you have to tow it to and from the lake...which sucks.

Good luck.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2005, 2:15 PM Reply   
Thane, worried that the wake isn't going to be noticably bigger with 350 on each side vs. 700 straight in the back.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2005, 3:21 PM Reply   
Try it both ways.

I would rather have a clean, firm, curb high wake than a big, bubbly, washy knee-high wake. But that's just me.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-29-2005, 3:50 PM Reply   
which way is going to give me which???
Old    walt            01-29-2005, 3:54 PM Reply   
Ronia, I own a 20 ft DD and I run 600 on each side of the engine and it seems to work well. Here's a few pics of my wake.

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-29-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
Walt, that is a great looking wake!!!!!!!!!
Old    walt            01-29-2005, 6:31 PM Reply   
Thanks Daniel !
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-29-2005, 7:09 PM Reply   
what I believe is that the weight evenly distributed on the sides of the engine is going to give you the best wake. When that wake isn't big enough anymore, then put 500 in the bow, and 500 in the back.
Old    murrayair            01-29-2005, 10:01 PM Reply   
I agree with what Thane's saying. Put some weight on the sides. That will give you a solid wake. Then when you get tired of that, add weight to the front/back.

Walt- thats a REALLY nice wake, man! How many people did you have in your boat in addition to the two sacks?
Old    linus8103            01-30-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I had a DD and I put a fat seat in the back,(1100lbs), and a Big Bump up front(750lbs), and it worked great. Always remember to put weight up front if you are putting weight in the back.
Old    walt            01-30-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
Mark, The first pic there were three of us and in the second there were four people.