Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-12-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
I went to Lake Powell for a week. Wind blew most of the time, but still a great trip nonetheless. But after a week of having the wind blow water all over my boat any time it was moving, I have water spots from Hades. This would be a disaster if my boat were anything but white. I last waxed the boat last fall, and I suspect that is my fundamental problem. It seems clear that my coating of wax is not there anymore. So I have hard water spots that are next to impossible to get off.

I usually use Babe's boat bright after every trip to the lake and it works great for those 1/2 day trips that I usually make. We wiped her down after we pulled her out at Powell and basically the spots did nothing.

Today I tried 2 different kinds of wax - no help.
Babe's spot solver - no luck,
Babe's boat wash - no way,
Palmolive and water - nada,
Ducky cleaner - not working,

I have some 3M cleaner and wax that is rated for 'lightly oxidized surfaces' and has a mild rubbing compound in it, and that worked to some degree, and is pretty much the only thing that even worked in the slightest. I used it twice in the same area and that pretty well got rid of the spots.

I was thinking that I need a pure rubbing compound like 3M makes and then follow that up with a straight wax. Then I will surely wax the boat more often. I don't like it looking like this, even though it is really not bad from a distance.

Any suggestions?

Sorry to start another water spot thread, but this seems more cantankerous than most water spot problems.

Here is a cell phone pic that shows what I am dealing with to some degree.
Attached Images

Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-12-2010, 2:04 PM Reply   
White vinegar
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-12-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Boat Bling Hot Sauce
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       06-12-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Babes spot cleaner.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-12-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlsv211 View Post
Babes spot cleaner.
He said he already tried that.
Old     (mattjj23)      Join Date: May 2008       06-12-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Wax out the waterspots with a buffer and use Boat Bling Hot Sauce from then on, every time you pull it out of the water.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       06-13-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
How long did you let the Ducky stay on your boat before washing it off? When I went to Powell boat looked the same as yours. When I got home, sprayed a heavy coat of Ducky and let it stay on for 24 hours. Then spots came off with soap and water.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-13-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I've never tried it, but what about a clay bar?
Old    alanp            06-13-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
kaboom, works perfectly.
Old     (unclejessie)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-14-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
Driventoperfection.com. Their cleaner is money for water spot removal.

-Uj
Old     (1niceharley)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-14-2010, 5:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_ashton View Post
White vinegar
Vinegar will take the spots right off, Just follow with a wax.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-14-2010, 5:47 PM Reply   
Vinegar will not remove hard water spots, i know as i've tried it on my black hulled boat and it does absolutely nothing. I tried all the above mentioned remedies as well except Ducky and the only thing that will completely remove them is buffing them off.
Old     (tgoin)      Join Date: Apr 2009       06-15-2010, 4:20 AM Reply   
Wow - after Powell I have always had great luck with either Ducky or Babes Spot remover.

I also used to have a decent luck with a 50/50 vinegar/water -- sometimes I would put some windex in there too - but that is going to strip
your wax. Make sure you have a good base coat before going somewhere like Powell, it will come off easier next time.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Hey Tall try a little CLR. You will have experiment with the dilution rate but it should work. I have used full strength before for really stubborn water spots. As long as you were willing to compound it through in a little work with the magic eraser, it will be easier on the finish than a heavy compound. You will certainly need to wax it after.

Last edited by konaking; 06-15-2010 at 5:49 AM.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-15-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
Kaboom - Spray, wipe, rinse - GONE - then wax of course
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-15-2010, 8:19 AM Reply   
Which Kaboom ya talking about, thay have a few variations.
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       06-15-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
Vinegar never works for me either. I think it is an old wives tale.
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-15-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
I have used white 30% vinegar at the ramp after boating for years. Its cheap and works great on all the Midwest waters near Chicago. I have not fount it to remove wax but I do wax 4 times a year with Poor Boys paste wax. You may have to beef up the mixture if it doesn't work try Zing . Be careful its very strong wear gloves.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-15-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
Buffing it the only REAL remedey ive found. All other still leave a slight have of water spotting..