Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-05-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just wanted to update all of those that sent packages and letters to the troops in Iraq as a result of the thread that was running a few weeks ago.

The first packages have arrived! Hopefully more are on the way. The below email is from Capt Nelson who is the Services Company Commander. He told me that he had his Company First Sergeant distribute all of the "goodies" to E-5 and below (what that means is that the treats were limited to the younger Marines - officers and senior enlisted didnt get any [which is the right thing to do]).

This is what he asked me to post on the thread:

Dear Wakeboarders,
On behalf of the Marines and Sailors of H&S Bn, 1st FSSG I would like to personally thank you for the strong show of support you have given to each and every one of us with the packages, cards, and letters. I realize that everyone has their own opinion about whether or not we should all be over here but it is people like all of you that realize it doesn't matter. What matters is the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who are over here defending our freedoms. Regardless of what you hear we are doing great things over here for the future of the Iraqi people. As for the fighting, I cannot speak for all branches but I can speak for the Marines when I say that we are kicking ass and taking names. Marines perform heroically on a daily basis here and make us all proud to wear the uniform. And I can't tell you how much pride swells up in their chests when they hear and see the support from people like all of you. Translation: keep it coming!
The conditions are good and getting better. The chow is recognizable most of the time and usually in good abundance but it is a welcome change to get some of the niceties we have received from your care packages. The weather has begun to grow warmer over the past week and we expect it to get over 100 very soon. Once it gets above 120 it's trivial because it's just too damn hot for most anything. Something to look forward to over the next month! Most of the Marines have access to some form of communication so contact with home is a little easier than previous deployments. Some camps even have satellite television so we can catch the occasional ball game or keep tabs on hometown news. It is more than we could have imagined considering the setting.
Once again we all appreciate the overall support of everyone in the states. When organizations such as yours get together it helps these men and women understand why they are out here and what they are fighting for. Please relay the message that these are exceptional men and women doing extraordinary things and they deserve America's unconditional support. They will never get tired of it I assure you.

Semper Fidelis

Captain Mike Nelson
Service Company Commander
H&S Bn, 1st FSSG
United States Marine Corps
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-05-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
For those of you that would like to send mail to troops in Iraq, I have added some names and addresses below. These people are all Company Commanders with between 80 and 250 people in thier charge. They will ensure that anything you send will be distributed to their Marines - likely E-5 and below (give to the younger Marines - as it should be).

HEADQUARTERS COMPANY

Capt. Melissa Richardson
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Hq Co
UIC 42095
FPO AP 96426-2095

MILITARY POLICE COMPANY

Capt. Eric Young
1st FSSG HqSvcBn MP Co
UIC 42105
FPO AP 96426-2105

COMMUNICATIONS COMPANY

Capt Ed Debish
1st FSSG HqSvcBn COMM Co
UIC 42105
FPO AP 96426-2100

SERVICE COMPANY

Capt Mike Nelson
1st FSSG HqSvcBn Serv Co
UIC 42105
FPO AP 96426-2105

Gunnery Sergeant Bret Baker -

He's the wakeboarder in Falluja right now that you see posting once in a while. Dont have his address with me but I will post it later. He is in charge of a security platoon with 40 Marines in it. They pretty much get shot at daily so they need the boost if you will send.

Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-05-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
Gunny Bakers Address:

GySgt Baker, B.D. / USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det
UIC 42570
FPO AP 96426-2570
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-05-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
I want to first thank Jim for all this. With out you Jim none of this probably would have happened.

Second, I want to say a HUGE THANK YOU, to all the guys and gals over seas. You guys are doing an incredible job, in the worst of conditions. My hat is off to you guys, and God Bless you all. You are all in our prayers.

We can't thank you enough,
Shawn Wilson
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-06-2004, 10:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the nice words Shawn - I'll pass them.
Old    simpson20            05-07-2004, 5:19 AM Reply   
I agree with what Shawn said.

A HUGE THANKS to all the men/women fighting for our country. You are incredibly courageous and heroes to all of us back here at home.

I'm sending out a package this week, I hope other will also. Thank you again, for all of your sacrifices.
Old    simpson20            05-07-2004, 5:20 AM Reply   
And THANK YOU Jim, for everything you have done.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-07-2004, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanks Greg,

I am positive that your package will be greatly appreciated. I appreciate you sending it to them.

Jim
Old    bretbaker3            05-07-2004, 11:23 PM Reply   
Hello from "beautiful" Iraq!

I want to start first and foremost by saying THANK YOU to each and every one of you that have posted your thanks to us over here and those of you that have and will send packages. I got a box of beef jerky from Walt Leonard in Petaluma, CA today. That stuff got snatched up QUICK! Thanks Walt, from EVERYONE here in Fallujah. This stuff is really making the troops happy, I can't thank you and everyone else out there enough for what's going on in the "support section" back home. The guys from OFFCELL.COM sent a DVD out too and we watched that. Even the guys that have never heard of wakeboarding were all huddled around and in total awe of the tricks the riders were pulling. I had a couple of my Marines ask me to take them out riding when we get home! HA! I can't wait to see that! I got an e-mail from Corey at Alliance wakeboard Magazine just checking up and letting me know he was sending some mags, videos, music, etc. Thanks Corey! I know I've said it before but seriously, you ALL are amazing and it makes me proud to be over here fighting for what's back there!

I don't get to access the internet very often but when I do I will be sure to post here and let you all know how things are going out here. I'll try to post a pic once in awhile too, that's just usually a little longer process than what I have time for.

Right now Fallujah is pretty quiet. We haven't "pulled out" like the news would love for you to believe. We have however backed off a little to allow the Iraqis the opportunity to try to police their own, that is after all the ultimate goal... to get the Iraqis to take control of their own country without our assistance. Some of the other cities are still pretty screwed up but they have begun to get those under control also. I ask all of you back home, please don't believe all the BS you see on the news. CNN is the worst. My wife has told me about some of the crap they are reporting. Fox news usually gives the most accurate reports but still they screw it up, for instance, we did not DECIDE to roll into Fallujah because 4 Americans were killed and drug through the streets. The Marine Corps had the plan of cleaning out that "infested hole" before we even took control from the Army. The killing of those Americans was just something that really pissed us off and may have sped up the "invasion" process by a couple days. Anyway, enough political BS.

Thank you all again for all your support and for making our country such a great place to come to Iraq and fight for!

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt Bret Baker
Fallujah, Iraq
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-10-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Here is an email that I received from Lieutenant Richardson early this morning (she gets promoted to Captain on the 15th). She just received a package and asked me to tell everybody thank you - I figured that it would be better if I just cut and paste her email for all to see.

Sir,

Can you please pass on to Lynsey and Walt Leonard our many thanks for the packages they have sent. It is nice to actually receive mail but their generosity was received with much appreciation. I passed it out to the marines. The younger marines continue to surprise me daily with their constant motivation to get back out on the convoys everyday to all areas of Iraq. Since the Offensive Operations began logistics has slowed and we have been eating MREs and water. We are out of toilet paper and our PX shelves are empty except for Army pt gear and rank insignia. The porta johns are even out of toilet paper, blue water and hand sanitizer. Spirits are still high and all of the marines don't slow down and its people like your friends who only enforce to the marines here that there is support back there. I tell them all the time what a good job they are doing and that they are making history( we have two marines right now who have been put in for the purple heart) but again it seems that the support from the states only strengthens what we as leaders are telling them here. In the end, we would rather be fighting over here than in our backyard where are family and friends are.

I am waiting for a package that Julie sent that has some thank you cards in it so I can mail them to Lynsey and Walt. It sucks not being able to just go to a store and buy what you need. It is amazing the things that we as Americans take for granted. I saw a local national in a pair of shorts and sandals the other day and I thought wow to just have the freedom to wear a pair of shorts out here would be great. We have been in nothing but our full uniforms and when threat level goes up we also wear the Flak and Kevlar all the time. Of course when we are on convoys you know how much gear is necessary and it is now a 104 degrees without the additional gear. In no way am I complaining. As you know I wanted to come here and the experiences and hardships that I take away from here as a leader and as a marine will carry with me for the rest of my life. Today is Mothers Day and I was able to actually speak to Alexis and Lauren. I wish I could be there with them everyday. I am getting promoted on Saturday and the two people who deserve my thanks are my two girls. They continually sacrifice for my career in the Marine Corps, and now with my ex is also going to Iraq, they are moving to my moms house and will stay there until I return.

Make sure you call your mom and wish her a happy Mothers Day. Tell Denese I said hi.

R/

Lt R

Also, I heard that Sergeant Webb received a DVD from OFFCELL.COM. Heard that all of the Marines have watched it numerous times.

Thanks everybody.
Old    stormrider            05-10-2004, 5:23 PM Reply   
The so-called mainstream media is slanting coverage because they want to get Kerry elected. Very few people any more fall for their politicization of things. One headline today was something like "Bush's support for Rumsfeld angers Arabs"-- like the reporter knows what every Arab is thinking within 30 minutes after Bush speaks. It's almost laughable.

You guys/gals have got a mission, each other, the respect and awe of millions and you are out there making a difference for the better for a formerly oppressed people. It just sorta struck me: you guys are really living; back here, we are the ones just basically surviving!
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-10-2004, 5:39 PM Reply   
Hey Gunny (and all Marines over there), a hearty thank you from a former corpsman assigned to 3rd FSSG from 1991-1993. I hope you all come home safe and sound, and soon.

Regardless of political affiliation, or view about whether you belong there, any true American is behind you 100% and is grateful for your service.
Old    buttacup            05-11-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
Jim - Thanks for passing along that message. I'm glad I was able to help and I will be sending another care package (w/homemade cookies) to them next month after I move .

For anyone who has thought about doing this, please do it! Even though I'm a 'po college student I was able to go to Costco and buy some stuff for them.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-12-2004, 6:24 PM Reply   
I just got a new list of the things that the Marines need out in Iraq:

Books

magazines

boxes of misc cards(they charge $3.00 a card out here and that’s the cheapest)

white socks

head and shoulders shampoo

razors

johnson’s baby lotion

johnsons baby powder

tang powder

country time lemonade powder

dishsoap

plastic jugs to make koolaid, crystal light lemonade, tang, and other drinks in(I think they meant the 1 quart container)

bug spray

sun screen

chapstick

off candles

deodarant

Please send them whatever you can. They dont have access to anything like we do so they pretty much depend on what we send them. Notice that they didnt ask for a lot of junk...
Old    walt            05-12-2004, 7:08 PM Reply   
Jim,
What kind of cards? Do You mean greeting cards ?
Old    buttacup            05-12-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
How big for the bottles of shampoo/conditioner?
I'm sure some toilet paper and hand sanitizer will help them too.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-13-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
Jim,
I have a lot of stuff I would like to send out to the troops in Iraq. I have many of the things they are asking for and would like to send it to them. In fact I am going to go to the store right now and buy a bunch of stuff to send to them. Anyway I suppose i have about 75-100 lbs of items they are asking for. I was wondering if there is a cheap way of sending it to them.
I also work very closely with the Marines at Camp Pendleton and all of the Naval personnel at all of the Bases in San Diego. I have seen many friends that I have worked with go over there (and some on their second tour) and some have not come back and are missed by their fellow Marines and Corpsmen. I work with the Preventative Medicine Personnel and Industrial Hygene folks , many of who have been to Iraq and are now home and the conditions there are a lot worse then they would lead you to believe. Most of us would not last 1 week there without our everyday amenities.
So for those people who can help please do and ask around your neighborhood for some of these item and help send the troops some goods and some MOTIVATIONAL Words. We can all round up 10-25 magazines that are just lying around and send them out. There is a lot of down time out there as Jim can attest to.

Good Luck to All of our Troops all over the Globe.
Erik
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 10:19 PM Reply   
Jim,

Just got Back from Iraq May 7 spent alot of time reading this forum when I had internet time just want to say thank you to all of you supporting us. We were near Baquaba (northeast Baghdad)FOB Caldwell, FOB Anaconda, and FOB BOOM patrolling the Iraq/Iran border with the 1st ID. The place is like being on the Moon. Some of the finest dust you have ever seen. It did a number on my digital camera. The stuff is like baby powder gets into everything. High grade cut!! After you shower you are still dusty. The smell and taste of the dust you will never forget.

All this stuff going to the Marines I could not leave out my buds in the 1st ID still stuck there
Here is a great thought. I did this at my job this past week when I got back to work. Ask your HR dept. if you can place a box with a sign in your company cafeteria or at the the front door with a list of things to send over that the troops need. It was two days at my plant and the box was completely filled. I went to take it to the post office and our general manager offered to have it shipped from our plant using our courior service for free, We have another box getting ready to go.

Good things to send
tooth paste (its a 2hr wait to get into a PX)
Gell deoderant(anything besides the gell melts)
tooth brushes
Eye drops
Contact lense solution
Gold Bond powder
mouth wash
Floss
Bar soap
facial wipes (Stridex)
Band Aids
Bactien
neosporien
Asprin/tylenol/IB Profin
second skin
Boot inserts
socks
military brown t-shirts (can get these at any Army serplus)
socks
Bug Spray
Ant traps
Fly paper
travel sowing kits
shampoo
SUN BLOCK 30 or higher
hand cream moisterizer
foot powder
athelets foot spray
Baby wipes lots of baby wipes unsented
As for Snacks
Lance crackers are great I lived off them!!
Power Bars
Balance Bars
Nutri Grain bars
Vienna Sausages
cans of Tuna
Country time lemonade (Powder form)
Cool Aid
Gator Aid
Bags of dime candy ( usaully for the Iraqi kids)
Smokes
Skaol, Copenhagen
Chewing gum

Here are a few addresses of the guys in my pics

SPC Cecile Wilson
Service Battery 1/113 FA
30th HSB 1st INF. Div.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
FOB Caldwell (KMTB)
APO, AEO 093929392

Sgt. John Corbit
Service Battery 1/113 FA
30th HSB 1st INF. Div.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
FOB Caldwell (KMTB)
APO, AEO 093929392

Sgt Steven Carpenter
Service Battery 1/113 FA
30th HSB 1st INF. Div.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
FOB Caldwell (KMTB)
APO, AEO 093929392

Sgt Larry Dennison
Service Battery 1/113 FA
30th HSB 1st INF. Div.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
FOB Caldwell (KMTB)
APO, AEO 093929392

SPC Tony Wilbanks
Service Battery 1/113 FA
30th HSB 1st INF. Div.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
FOB Caldwell (KMTB)
APO, AEO 093929392

All great guys giving up a lot for our country thank you everyone for all you support.
TK
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 10:24 PM Reply   
Trouble with the up load of my pics. let me try agian later.
Old     (tktige)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-13-2004, 10:30 PM Reply   
hope this works
Old    bretbaker3            05-22-2004, 4:16 AM Reply   
Hello all,

Finally back on camp and have a few minutes to get on the internet. Wow! Just recieved two VERY nice packages from some folks on wakeworld. One was from an unnamed person. The package they sent came from "GoodyGiftbox.com" and was from Tumwater, WA. There was no name with it but whoever you are... Thank You SO much! The second package was from Shane & Christy Hopkins from Cypress, TX. I already sent them an e-mail directly thanking them but you all should know, they really went out of their way. My Marines went through all the items in both packages in a matter of minutes. There are really some happy Marines here right now and I have you all to thank for that. Whether you know it or not, this really makes my job easier. It's amazing how the simple things in life can bring shear joy to these young men (and ME). The drink mixes we recieved are really nice to have, drinking plain water day after day, week after week, month after month is about as much fun as reading the explanation of it! I really cannot express in words how grateful I am to all of you out there that are supporting us whether it's packages that put smiles on my Marines faces or just the positive thoughts and vibes you send our way and keep us going everyday. Sometimes being in this place gets to you. The things we do, the things we see, and then, there's that package in the mail when we get back to camp. After all that, you should see the smiles on these Marines faces from something as simple as a drink of Koolaid and some Corn Nuts to munch on. There were also other things in the packages that we really needed like sunblock, bug repellant, lotion, toilet paper... Lots of great things. The Marines and myself thank all of you from the bottom of our hearts. We are proud to be here but look forward to returning to our great country and seeing all of your smiling faces welcoming us back.

Semper Fidelis,
GySgt Bret D. Baker
Fallujah, Iraq
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 9:23 AM Reply   
Bret:

Glad to see the GoodyGiftBox items got there! Should have been, combined, 3 "Miles of Sand" and 3 chess sets. I ordered the packages off the internet, and wasn't sure the packages would get there. Sounds like they did. Thanks for posting receipt.

FYI to others thinking of sending packages: It took me about 15 minutes to order off the internet. Took about a month to get the packages to Iraq- not bad all things considered. Internet ordering saved a bunch of time compared to going to the store, finding a box and the post office routine.
Old    corazon            05-24-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
Seriously, what are you guys fighting for?
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 1:56 PM Reply   
Erik: two questions-
The issue of why we are in Iraq has been extensively covered in newspapers, magazines and on radio and television programs. Do you seriously not know why we are fighting in Iraq?
Second, have you sent a package to Iraq yet? You can send something for as little as $30 through one of the internet companies.
Old    corazon            05-24-2004, 2:40 PM Reply   
Yes. I´ve read the newspapers. You guys are fighting for oil, and world domination. Or maybe to spread the word "democrasy"? I don´t think so.. There will never be a democrasy or peace in Iraq, as a result of your occupation. Man, if the reason is to set the Iraqi people free and get rid of Saddam, you should rather start in Africa or Latin Amerika to get rid of some more brutal dictators there. Those are places that really needs help. But oh i forgot, there´s no oil there...
Old    walt            05-24-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
Erik,Show some respect and don't Hijack this thread with Your political views ! Start Your own thread and spew Your nonsense there.
And learn how to spell America and don't forget it !
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-24-2004, 3:00 PM Reply   
I agree, wrong thread for pro- or anti-war political rhetoric.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-24-2004, 4:41 PM Reply   
Steve what address did you send your stuff to.
I have collected items from around my neighborhood and am ready to send off. I have already sent a package over through Camp Pendleton, but would like to send it to fellow wakeboarders as well.
Thanks
Erik
p.s.Different Erik than the one who has been complaining about the war.
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
Erik:

Date Wed Apr 21 11:22:00 PDT 2004
Ship to GySgt Baker, B.D./USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det CEM UIC 42570 FPO AP 96426-2570
US United States
Address Verification GySGT Baker, B.D./USMC
9th Comm BN
HQ Det CEM
UIC 42570
FPO AP 96426-2570

I'll tell ya, knowing the stuff got there definitely made my day.
Old    alanp            05-24-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
where have you been steve?
Old    stormrider            05-24-2004, 5:40 PM Reply   
Hey, Alan: I have, in fact, been practicing my S-bends, now that I have toeside w2w down! The crashes have been a little hairy, but the doctor says I should be able to continue riding once they fine tune my new orthotic lower leg. (That last crash mashed things up a bit.) I'm beginning to think that S bends aren't the best trick to try as an intermediate step. A half-cab double back roll probably would have been a better choice, but, hey live and learn!
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-24-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
erik,

you miserable bastard! this post is about supporting our troops. your personal opinion makes no difference here. if you have nothing positive to say, DONT SAY IT! from the way your post reads i would be inclined to say you are French, or from some other spineless nation. if you dont agree with the war--that's great, but support our troops & pray for their safety. and again, if you have something negative to say-- take it somewhere else!!
Old    corazon            05-25-2004, 4:13 AM Reply   
Chuck.

You guys have never been attacked through the history by another nation, but USA has started more than 100 wars, official and unofficial against other nations.

And wow, what a spine you´ve got, when you attack poor countries just to get their oil..
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-25-2004, 6:11 AM Reply   
Two words: Pearl Harbor
Old     (crazy55)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-25-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Erik, take your garbage somewhere else, no one on this thread wants to hear it, this is not the place. Secondly before you start running your mouth about something learn your history first. Your uneducated comments make you sound like a moron, and if your are french you are from one of the biggest imperial nations in history.

P.S. To all my friends and all US troops in Iraq, thank you.
Old    stormrider            05-25-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
I think Andre hit it on the head! Yeah! Can't argue with Jonathan, either.
Old    walt            05-25-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
GyGst Baker, You have three packages inbound.
They should be there in three weeks.
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       05-25-2004, 3:45 PM Reply   
it's amazing how other countries are quick to condemn the US, but as soon as they need our support either financially or militarily, we are their savior. i understand i'm biased because i am an American veteran. i think that the war we are fighting is worthwhile and just. it's a war against terrorism and will benefit the entire world. its a shame we cant get more support. i have been all over the world and can say whole heartedly that i live in the best country there is! erik corazon, i apologize for the personal attack. i just hope you realize that probably 99% of the wakeworld members are American & regardless of their own opinion of the war, have a huge sense of pride when it comes to our fighting men & women.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-25-2004, 9:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for your support everybody. I have many many comments for Erik Corazon but I decided to not say them as they would be highly inflamatory and probably wouldnt help the situation much (I am of the opinionated sort and have no issues throwing daggers). However, I did not create this thread to talk about politics because politics do not matter when it comes to supporting our friends & family that are over there.

Thank you everybody that has sent packages and said kind words. They mean so much to them.

Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-27-2004, 3:42 PM Reply   
While we are all out on the lake this memorial weekend, remember those who protect our freedom, say a prayer for our brave men and women and their loved ones.
This is a good tribute: http://nathanadams.com/WeSupportU.html
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       05-27-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
you guys are going a gr8 job over there giving your life so we can live in peace i yell at people that say war is bad and we should move out of Iraq but lets not! GO OUT AND KILL THOES TERROST SON OF THE BITCHES!!!!!
Old    stormrider            05-27-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
As they say, out of the mouth's of babes . . .

Alex, awesome post.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-27-2004, 7:39 PM Reply   
I would like everybody to look at this link that a friend of mine sent me today. One of the greatest tributes that I have ever seen.

<http://www.nathanadams.com/wesupportu.htm>
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-27-2004, 7:42 PM Reply   
Also, great props and thanks to Cory Marotta at Alliance Wakeboard Magazine - he has worked his way onto a local radio station TWICE (91X in San Diego) and talked about how important it is to send mail to those protecting our freedom.

Thank you.

Old    wakeboard_iraq            06-02-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
Just got some word that a couple more packages have been received by Gunnery Sergeant Baker and Captain Richardson. Thanks very much to those that sent them - the goodies were distributed to the younger Marines.