Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-30-2008, 9:06 PM Reply   
I have a 2005 F-250 that i'm looking into getting a power programer. i was thinkikng about getting the Edge programer but a friend of mine is sell his SuperChip for real cheap to get a different one that will add a little more HorsePower(his parents have lots of money so buying a new one for no reason isn't a big deal to him). he has the same truck as me so it would work. when i brought this truck i bought the 100k mile power train warranty. so i don't want to void the 40k miles that are left on it. i had been told that the edge wont leave a foot print in my trucks computer so the Ford deal wont know that i have one as long as i pull it out when i take it in if i need work done. I was wondering if the SuperChip leaves a footprint or not. also is there a big difference between the 2 that would make me want to spend all the extra money to buy a new Edge. I dont' really care about going faster i just want one to get better gas milage. i probably will never run it on one of the racing modes. i will run it in tow mode when towing larger boats. Thanks for any info in advance.
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2008, 9:29 PM Reply   
This might help.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/555651.html?1205627392
Old     (tanner)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-30-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
Be warned.... you say you will never run it on a higher mode.... RIGHT NOW. But like I said... be warned...It's addicting.

I said the same thing at first. Now I'm building a custom set of twins for my 08 LMM...lol.

(Message edited by Tanner on March 30, 2008)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
I am going to make this simple. Do your homework, the Edge, Banks and SuperChops are good products.

Now for reality, don't believe the BS, the dealer, Ford can tell if there has been any type of changes. There have been instances all over the diesle forms where all mfg's have denied warranty due to tuners.

Unless your ass pocket can pay for any out of warranty charges, I would not do it. Also, I have tested the majority of the chips/tuners and have yet to see an increase in mileage, the one thing you will get is increase in HP/Torque.

If you are still determined and believe a tuner will not tracks, invest in some gauges.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 7:12 AM Reply   
For the 6.0 PSD the only way to go is SCT X3 or Livewire. They are custom programmable, and are awsome. Check out Elitediesel.com or dj-performance.com. Give either of them a shout and they will get you all the info you could ever want on the SCT stuff. The edge is hard on transmissions, and others dont give you the performance that the SCT will.

As for what shane is saying about not getting better mileage with a tuner, he must be the only one. I have a 6.0 PSD, had a 6.6 Duramax, and have a bud with a cummins. All are/were turned up and all have increased in gas mileage.

If you are going to put a tuner on, then make sure that you have a good hi-flow air intake, and free-flowing exhaust. You will also need to get some guages to monitor EGT, and other temps.

The SCT programmer flashes the computer so it leaves no evidence of a programmer. If you want more info or have anymore questions just ask.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2008, 8:06 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. before i did the tuner i was planning on doing air intake and exhaust. i've been reading everything that i can find on the tuners. i guess i'll just keep on reading haha.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 8:10 AM Reply   
have you checked out powerstroke.org? It is a great place to get some really good info. Same this as WW just for the strokes.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-31-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
evidence of the flash is stored in other modules.
also if you are having a prob and bring it in and it was just flashed it is obivious what happened since there will be no evidence of a warranty claim for the flash.I turn down warranty every day on chiped trucks.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 8:32 AM Reply   
Brad, What manufacturer does your dealership sell and service. I know several dealerships and service departments that service trucks that have been turned up. As long as you do it the right way and aren't an absolute idiot about how you setup, run, and drive the truck is is perfectly safe for the motor and drivetrain. Dealers that wont waranty turned up trucks are becomming fewer. There are tons of dealerships here in Texas that sell, install, service, and waranty tuners and trucks with tuners.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 8:51 AM Reply   
^^^^^^

The dealer is not the problem. It is when there is major warranty issue, trans, engine, injectors, warranty audits or approvals from the MFG.

Do a search, I don't care, my truck is modded, and I know/knew the risk, but don't expect a warranty claim to be backed with mods from one of the Big 3, now BMW is another issue.

Blake your warranty is with Ford, not the dealership.

If anyone doesn't believe shoot me an email, someone I know used to own the largest online tuner presence, he will give you the facts straight up. Your dollar.

(Message edited by auto on March 31, 2008)
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
The dealer audits are a huge problem, but it is like anything else, they are just protecting there business. I guess what I am getting at is: If you turn-up you truck. Dont run it like a Jack-A$#. And have a problem short of melting a engine, or shelling a transmission you will be and should be taken care of. Big 3 or not. My duramax had some injector issues among others and all was performed under waranty why my programmer was pluged in and the display was on the dash. They didnt care. They ran the diagnostics. Looked at the stats from the computer(pressures, temp and what not) and warantied the work and parts. I went in knowing they may not waranty anything, but they did. Again, dealerships are selling and installing tuners, and then servicing the trucks afterward all over the place. Waranty work and all.

The MFG's are figuring out that if it is setup correctly it is safe to turn them up.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
^^^^

And what do people want the warranty for? Engine, Trans major things people don't want to pay out of pocket.

Now what happens you are traveling and the dealer where you are having problems is not tuner friendly?

The big 3 have not loosened their stance, they are hemorraghing cash from competition, pensions and labor unions. Warranty is one place where they are concentrating.

It's all good if you have the jack, just let the new guys know the facts.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 9:40 AM Reply   
I never said that there werent any dangers to putting one in. I believe that you in fact warned him, so i didnt feel the need to warn him too. I am giving him and you the facts, and my experiences. I also gave him some more resources to investigate it all for himself. unlike you who just loves to give your unending wisdom on all that is tuners and service departments.

(Message edited by kingpin on March 31, 2008)
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-31-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
I'm not going to be driving like a jack ass at all if i get a tuner. i tow a lot of big boats for my parents dealership and tractors for our own personal use. i think it would be nice to be able to put the tuner in tow mode when i need the extra power. i'm not one of those guys that is trying to make my truck fast. if i wanna go fast i'll get jump on my dirtbike and hit up the track. i could care less how fast my truck goes as long as it is reliable and does what i need it to do. Blake what tuner would you say to go with.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 10:21 AM Reply   
Blake you need to read carefully, I guess you missed this

"If anyone doesn't believe shoot me an email, someone I know used to own the largest online tuner presence, he will give you the facts straight up. Your dollar."

Carry on.
Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I say on the 6.0's 05 and newer go with SCT. But I would also go to powerstroke.org and research. What I have found there was that the SCT is the most reliable, best power at the rear wheel and best mileage increase of all of the tuners for the 05-07 Powerstroke.

Shane, Everyone has a guy that is there expert. Every body has different experiences, and opinions. What your guy believes may the facts as he sees it. The same goes for me, how I see it, and my experiences.

That is right shane my waranty is with FORD! But the dealer is there representative. And that is who we all go to to purchase and get service from. The dealership is the one that first says yes or no to a waranty issue. If they waranty something and they are taking care of their business then Ford will take care of the waranty. Otherwise the dealership/customer is stuck with the repair cost.

Why dont you quit trying to have a pi$$ing contest and help Ryan try and figure out one if he is willing to take the risk, and 2 if he is what is the best option for what he wants.

Old     (kingpin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-31-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
The best thing to do if you decide you want to go with SCT is call elite diesel or DJ's performance, and discuss what you are looking for and they will set you up with the tunes that will be best for you.

Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
Blake, I gave good advice, get gauges, prepare your wallet and was willing to give a reference of not just anyone, but one of the largest online dealers who was bought out by a Chip MFG,

I guess he was biased trying to sell the product.

Ok, I will not bother even posting numerous posts from the diesel forums on this subject, you consider pissing infomration my mistake. Enjoy your version of reality.
Old     (mnwake476)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
+1 for the SCT plus gauges. Don't forget about innovative diesel.com either
Old     (dirty30)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-02-2008, 2:11 PM Reply   
I HAVE A SCT FOR A 6.0 FOR SALE IT IS AWESOME.I GOT A O8 SO I AM SELLING IT