Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 8:07 AM Reply   
I hate to say this but its true, Im jumpin ship.

I know everybody swore up and down it was sliders that was causing me to break my boards, but now its official.

After breaking my second LUTE of the season, I went out and bought an 06 PURE, two weeks later I have another board, cracked in half, in the same fashion as the other three.

Sorry CDUB, I cant afford to ride you anymore.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 8:09 AM Reply   
BTW, that brings me to a total of 3 broken cdubs this year, and one last year.

3 of those four lasted less than a month, two were plat, two were not.
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 9:10 AM Reply   
better put ur flame suit on.... this is "CWB WAKEWORLD"
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 9:13 AM Reply   
So they won't replace them even if it hasn't been on a slider?? That ain't good.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-16-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Mike I would do the same thing you did if I had that many boards break, you probably will take some heat for that though, what are you riding now?
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-16-2006, 9:31 AM Reply   
I'm leaning towards operater error as apposed to equipment failure, but thanks for sharing.
Speaking of sharing, I can't ever recall telling anyone I was getting a new stick, let alone the reasons why I was buying "whatever" brand. Weird.
Hey, since we're sharing:
2 CWBs-none broke
2 LF-not broken
5 HL-nope, no cracks either
WTF? If my wife see's that inventory list, I am so screwed.
Good luck with the new Team-seriously.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
No heat deserved if he's buying replacement boards. Nobody in their right mind would keep buying boards, or anything for that fact, that doesen't even outlast the warranty period.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-16-2006, 10:09 AM Reply   
if you're worried about durability, i'd stay away from LF aswell (although their board seem to last ok compared to everything else they make). hyperlite's '07 stuff just looks so-so. you going to wait to see what ronix puts out, or maybe jump ship to o'brien or gator?
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-16-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
If you love CWB so much, why don't you buy one board just for wakeboarding and one for jibbing. If the one that you use to board on breaks, you can always take it back and then you also know that it is the board that is the problem. If your jib board breaks in the same manner, then you know that it is the jibbin' that did it in. Where did you buy your boards? My two shops of preference here in the Sacramento Area (Surf and Skate, Hot H20) have been great about taking back anything that breaks.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-16-2006, 11:53 AM Reply   
CWB WE have a man overboard, I repeat man overboard.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Jeff Vaaler,I'm going to go out on a limb and say that LF boards are the most durable,binding on the other hand is a different story but I hear all binding rip.
Old     (crowmobe540)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
warranty...where are you buying them from. If you aren't sliding send them back and they will send another one.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-16-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Big Ed, I think I here that limb cracking!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-16-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
Mike get an O'brien Natural. They are tuff!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-16-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
Is this the same mike murphy that can do 753 consecutive backflips on a Sky Ski? That would be awesome. So Mike, would you say you are a larger fellow?

The simple fact is this, boards can and will break. If you slide it you void the warranty, if you don't slide it then a new one will be heading your way very quickly. Pretty much standard in the industry.

Platinums are a little less durable so that makes sense, but like someone said, get a slider board and a wake board. Then break all you want, they are warrantied. Personally over the last three years riding CWB I have not broken one, I've seen two break one of the DUB into the flats and one was a blem (with full warranty mind you) where the jig used to clear the glass out of the inserts missed and drilled into the board, it snapped right across the weak spot the hole created. Good luck on your new board company, I'm interested to hear how the next one holds up.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
Yea dude, Im a big guy, but this was the last straw for me because I never hit a slider with it and it only lasted two weeks.

It was all fine and dandy when I manned up the other 3 times to saying "well, I hit sliders so Ill just buy another board".

As I always suspected, the slider probably had little to do with them......Each one broke in the same fashion, horizontal crack dead in the middle.

For the record here is the stats....

First CWB board last late June "new" left over 03 platinum, lasted exactly one month.

Second board, new 05 platinum, lasted the rest of last season and into july of this year.

Third board, borrowed a friends 03 regular lute, lasted less than one month.

Fourth board, bought only a couple weeks ago 06 PURE and now dead.

For anyone who recognizes my name on here, I preach and love CWB as much as anyone else.......and I cant imagine riding anything else (tried other boards, nothing compares to the comfort I feel on the absolute molds).

YES, this board will be replaced......its the first and only one I deserved a warranty on.

But here is my conclusion, I dont mind buying a new board every year because I hit a slider here and there........it goes with the territory.

4 boards in less than one calender year is ridiculous, and if CWB cant make a product that can last me even a month Im going to be forced to jump ship.....sadly.

This is a vent, and I love CWB as much as Im hating them right now......but Im also in the middle of hosting a huge midwestwakeboarder.com party and I am officially boardless, AGAIN.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
btw, I dont know if I stated this, but this board did NOT hit a slider.
Old     (slob02)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 8:13 PM Reply   
The Sky SKI MIKE MURPHY???? Sweet?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-16-2006, 8:42 PM Reply   
"I'm going to go out on a limb and say that LF boards are the most durable"

Based on what?
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-16-2006, 9:33 PM Reply   
BOOOOO on this post...

lets see HARD wood + thin foam = BROKEN!! DUH the math isnt hard why you break these boards
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2006, 10:33 PM Reply   
Dif, Mike Murphy.

Ryan, once again, I didnt hit a slider.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-17-2006, 2:09 AM Reply   
Ryan,

neither is the grammar.
Old     (offspringz28)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-17-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
sucks man. but the ones ive seen are tough as nails. good luck to you tho.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-17-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
If you call cwb direct and tell them what has happend you can get one with a reinforced core. They are heavier, but a lot more durable. Dave Briscoe had one here like that last year because he hits sliders with his board.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-17-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Now that might be news to my ears, although lighter is better I had resigned myself that the plats werent for me.......but now the last in the last month have been regular core.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-17-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
wkerat is right. The big boys can get boards with double top sheets from cwb. BG rides one.

BTW...if I'm not mistaken BG had Mike's same experience with either LF or HL boards.

BG + OHH = snapped board....any board!
Old     (cbaird)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-18-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
I broke my 06 trans plat top side this year and they replaced it with a board with extra reinforment in the middle. They called it a pro-board and I think it may have just been an extra sheet on top. I hear the plats. break alot easier then then foam core.

What trick are you breaking your boards on?

Alot of the water stuff just isn't made to last for a long time. So far this year I have replaced a board, outlaw vest, guru skin (replacement needs to go back too), laces on zeus hinge bindings (plus the bindings themselves are pretty much wore out), and I'm on my 3rd delta handle and this one will be returned either this year or next.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-18-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
As the King of Breaking boards for the last 10 years, I can tell you that every mfg. board's will break. I have broke at least one of everything and in most cases many of several brands. There is not one board, no matter how customized, that made it through a summer for me. I have had every single owner over the 10 years swear they could make a "buffalow proof" board, but no luck. So... two-three boards in one seson sounds great to me. I am at 2 Joyrides, 5 parks boards, 2 LF balance and 2 LF team boards so far this year.

By the way, why is this big news?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2006, 7:36 AM Reply   
because new boards cost upwards of $500 and doing any one of 100 different things can void your warranty
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-18-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
$500.... Maybe a Platinum at full list. Which is rare for someone to pay.

Mike there are double and triple overlays available. The Platinums are triple, the foam boards are double (platinum already has a double carbon fibre top sheet).

Most of the guys I know that break boards are proud of it. I've never seen someone break a board that isn't throwing down. That said, I think a lot of it has to do with technique. Not sure what it is, but some people just break boards. Our buddy Joel is only 145lbs and he's on 4 or 5 this year, but he goes huge. Me on the other hand (at 160lbs) haven't broken a board in my life. I've been riding my '06 Pure since November.

In case there was question, I would recomend working hard on your relationship with your local shop or rep. When our friends break a board they have a new one either the same day (loaner from a shop) or in 2 days (shipped from the rep). If you're buying boards on the internet or secondhand and you're mad that you aren't being taken care of, then it's your bad. Find a good shop, build a relationship and stick with it. Usually if you start breaking boards you'll start getting some attention.

BTW, talking smack on the internet isn't going to get you any love. Been there, done that, learned the lesson.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-18-2006, 9:29 AM Reply   
So I'm expected to spend $200 more at a pro shop so that, just in case my board does break, I'll have better connections? I bought my '05 Absolute Platinum brand new (in '05) off of Beyondwatersports.com for $220. I've yet to see that model at a pro shop for anything under $400--and they were $499 when I bought mine. I would love to support my closest boardshop (although I think TSR is doing okay without my business), but paying that much more because you fully expect the board to break and want to make sure it's replaced quick and easy is ridiculous. I sent in my warranty card, so I'm hoping I won't get screwed over when my board inevitably does break because I am a college student and refused to pay anything over $250 for a piece of fiberglass. Most of the people who are saying they don't mind breaking boards have some kind of hook up (likely because they go big) where it's not costing them a small fortune to land a new set-up
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-18-2006, 9:37 AM Reply   
Evan, Im not trying to talk smack....

Its been a rough year. I love cwb, and I dont buy online.....the shop I had a relationship with went out of business.

Ive spent a lot of this summer both boardless, and boatless, and I actually still owe my buddy a board for the last one I broke while borrowing his.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-18-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
Mike,

Sent you an e-mail.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-18-2006, 10:24 AM Reply   
Mike, maybe you should have thought carefully before you dubbed this thread "Screw CWB". I know your a stand up guy, but getting priority treatment isn't usually a result of bagging a company on a public forum.

Just my .02
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-18-2006, 10:38 AM Reply   
Ill concede that Evan, it was in the heat of the moment of frustration.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       09-18-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
yeah, and I saw him on the pier smacking it with a hammer before it "snapped"

The liquid force rep had just tossed him a few $$
I'm sure of it...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-18-2006, 4:39 PM Reply   
haha.

put a clean shirt on dude.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-18-2006, 7:14 PM Reply   
Sounds like he's past "priority treatment" anyway. If you know you're not going back over that "bridge" anyway, what's the harm in burning it down for a little self gratification?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-18-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
No sparky evan was right, the title of the post was in angst and I wish I could edit it.

That said, all my posts are true to heart.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-19-2006, 8:48 AM Reply   
Mike, if it doesn't get resolved, then let me know. I'm pretty sure we share the same rep out here as you do. He'd be happy to make things right and I'm sure he could set you up with one of the triple lay boards.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2006, 7:26 PM Reply   
My comment was based on me putting a board on in my living room and jumping around on it.The HL and CWB flexed so much that I was afraid to jump on them at all after noticing.....Nothing on the Substance + I see and hear more CWB's breaking then others but that is most likely the reason since everybody and their mom is on one,therefore more probability.I also feel that CWB will take care of you the best......ALL Boards break tho.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-19-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Hmm..I thought "Flex" was what prevented boards from breaking, and that's why Platinums and DNAs snapped easier.

But maybe not.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-19-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Its irrelevant to me, I hate every shape LF Ive ever ridden.

The era has potential, the NEW byerly looks alright, I hated the premiere.

Its hard to leave CWB when they make the shapes that ride naturally for me, and everything else feels like work riding.

Might be interested in trying the natural or one of Gators shapes...and who knows, maybe RONIX.

We will see how this all turns out, all I know right now Is Im boardless, I still owe my buddy a board, and my season is down to about three weeks.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
I guess that is true but the only board I ever broke was a really flexible boards(HL Roam to be exact)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-19-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
you need to go big to break a board, ed.

just kidding man!!!!

it's cool dude...at least you're riding. me, on the other hand, get to watch and film others ride! although, i did ride in orlando for the first time on sunday.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2006, 9:36 PM Reply   

quote:

you need to go big to break a board, ed.

I know,I broke a Roam....I was going huuuge.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-19-2006, 9:46 PM Reply   
Its not CWB's fault...its the POP BAGS!!!!...We are Breaking boards all across the country
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       09-20-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
CWB sucked with Customer Service for me. 1 CWB broken, replaced with the cost of what I got the board for. 6 LF broken, replaced completely free, very quickly I might add. 1 HL not broken, but haven't ridden it enough to break it.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-20-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
Obviously there is more to the CWB story. IF the board was under warranty and you did nothing to void, it would have been replaced for free.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-20-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
What is the CWB warranty? I've had broken Hyperlite boards replaced for up to 6 years old with a current year model. Just curious.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
"Its not CWB's fault...its the POP BAGS!!!!...We are Breaking boards all across the country"

It all makes sense now!!!
Old     (scottyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-20-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
Mike you should ride the Faction 144, I think that board would fit your style nicely...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
Havent seen it, willing to take a look at it.....

Of course, the dealer (rich) is out of town for three weeks, so Im likely to be boardless for awhile.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-20-2006, 12:50 PM Reply   
I agree with Scot, bigger guys need bigger boards. I'm 5'7" 165lbs and although I can ride the Ab Plat 135, I'm at the top of the range. Instead I ride a 141 to try and reduce the chances of breaking my board. If you are breaking 141's then you need to step up to a larger size.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-20-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Just curious, but if you truly regret the title that you gave to this thread, why didn't you just email a moderator and have them delete it?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Well tackle, how much heat would you give me if suddenly the title was changed?

I dont agonize over it, I have plenty of reason to be frustrated......I literally pulled into the dock and made the post, I regret not chilling out a bit first.

But thanks for asking....
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-20-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Heat? I think that would have been the way to go. If I worked for C-Dub and seen the title, read the first post, I would have contacted your closest dealer, asked them to offer you a full refund for all of your CWB gear, and then suggest that you would make an excellent team rider for LF or Hyp or Gator or...
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2006, 6:03 PM Reply   
I regret none of my posts sir, only the title.
Old     (offspringz28)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
maybe an admin can change the title? email em
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
If an admin changes the title so be it, I made the title (not the posts) in haste and I see no need to run from that......Ive owned up to it and that should suffice.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-21-2006, 11:03 AM Reply   
this is dustin shows i love that board and i have been riding it for 4 seasons now and it was a little weak in the past but now the board is better and stronger then ever haha but everyone have there thing about boards and maybe its just not ur board but the boards rip. i have the 07 absolute and i still ride the same board after 3 months. i am mean to my boards to.they normally last a month so give it a shot they never let me down. later on ya'll straight from texas g-town represent.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2006, 11:26 AM Reply   
You've owned up to it? How do you figure? Screw CWB in big bold on the title page everyone sees when they open the wakeboard discussion page, and a tiny note of regret buried well within the post? That's owning up to it?
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-21-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
tackleberry, chill, i'm sure CWB can survive a little negative pub every now and then
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-21-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm just trying to figure the logic. Owning up to it is making something right. It's the difference between leaving a note on a parked car that you've just hit saying "I regret that I've hit your car. Sorry. I've owned up to it" and actually leaving your contact/insurance information. Sure it might not be a big deal to CWB, they can get by, but to those of us who have been taken well care of by CWB and associates, it may be a bit irritating to see that title everytime we log in. Mike regrets it, but did nothing to make it right. That is not owning up to it.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-21-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
Your the one who keeps bumping it up to the top buddy, let the post die and all your dreams come true.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-22-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
Sorry to hear about your bad expirence. I love CWB