Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2010, 2:37 PM Reply   
Just as the title says , If you have not drained yours go do it!!
Old     (pwrvelocity)      Join Date: Jan 2007       01-05-2010, 6:23 PM Reply   
Wow!, did mine yesterday....thanks
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-05-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
We just never get cold like this & some of us still won't get cold enough .Better safe than sorry,
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       01-06-2010, 3:54 AM Reply   
Boat is on the lift over some very cold water. Does draining the boat require you to go under the boat? I know this sounds retarded but obviously we've never had to do it before. And the plug is out so I can't get in to put the plug in and get the boat on the trailer. Only one of our days has a low of 32 though. It has been in the high 30s low 40s with butter conditions. Almost want to ride but only have a spring suit :-)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-06-2010, 5:51 AM Reply   
No inside , "IF" your boat is raw water cooled there are drain plugs on the side of the engine block & the bottom of the Ex manifolds. Also the hoses that run to & from the heat exchanger have water. Here just north of Orlando they have forecasted freezing temps but I have not even had the dogs water freeze yet so who knows, You might just want to put a 60 watt light under the cover for enough heat to keep above 32*.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-06-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
It has to be sub 32 degrees for well over a week to freeze a block, especially if your boat is over water or in it. You FL people have nothing to worry about.
If your block does freeze, you can send the bill to Al Gore.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-06-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Over a week? We're just talking about a little fiberglass and upholstery here.

Someone did a complicated "study" on temps at various points on the boat. IIRC it was closer to 12 hours of sub freezing temps for the block to reach the same ambient temp...
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-06-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
I can never understand why someone would make a $7,000.00 (cost of engine) gamble like that. Every boat owner should know how to drain their block, if you don't know how pay to do it.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-06-2010, 7:22 AM Reply   
My boat is on a lift over the water and that is why I'm not worried. The lake retains a lot of heat. While it may seem too cold to get in, it's not any where near freezing. If your boat is on a trailer in the driveway then I would be more concerned.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-06-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
It has to be sub 32 deg. well over a week "day and night" you guys are getting back into the 40's during the day, you are totally fine. But if you want an extra level of security lower the boat hoist halfway in the water (water will keep the boat warm all night) no worries guys.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-06-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
That's good to know, we set a record low last night! We just hardly ever have to deal with a cold system this long.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-06-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
I'm freezing my grapefruits off....literally.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-06-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
Good point Jim. IIRC, it was low 20's where they tested it. Still seems kinda crazy to chance it when it takes all of 15 minutes. And the boat's still ready to go next time you want to go out.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-06-2010, 8:59 PM Reply   
I love block heaters! Hate this cold crap though.