Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-30-2012, 3:15 AM Reply   
Hi guys,

Im just deciding on what i want in terms of a boat system and keen for some feedback.

The music i like most on the boat is stuff with a bit of bass, and not too much rock music.

It is really of secondary importance whether the rider hears it, but im looking for a crisp sound with as much bass (or clean mid range sound) as possible to say the duck board, or if it boat is parked say 5/10 metres away.

I was looking at a set of XM9's, however then started looking more at the surf series of speakers, but am a little hesitant as i know you dont get a great warm sound out of such a small speaker. I dont really care whether its heard 80 feet away.

The boats a Sanger v210 and will have 4 new co ax speakers in boat, with a polk momo dvc sub and then whatever speakers i chose on the tower. On the tower i have a 100wrms 4 channel amp to power whatever.

Keen for some hcld vs surf speaker opinions.

The bullet dealer down here also tells me you can change the hcld tone by altering the crossover. Bit dubious about that as i know its still a horn at the end of the day.

Any feedback would be great. Im in New Zealand so cant hear any of the products myself before purchasing.

Cheers

Last edited by bwake; 08-30-2012 at 3:19 AM. Reason: update
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-30-2012, 4:36 AM Reply   
A 100 watt amp won't power an hlcd IMO. The rev 10s are supposed to b smooth up close yet still get really loud. Powered off a syn 4 or another amp that will net 350-400 should b about as good as it gets. Mine just came in yesterday and haven't heard them so take it for what its worth.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-30-2012, 5:32 AM Reply   
Here is WetSounds surf speaker. I hear good things about it.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/ICON8.html
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-30-2012, 1:27 PM Reply   
I've owned both Exile SXTs and now x9s, both powered by their 1000w harpoon amp.

First off, your 100W amp isn't powerful enough to drive either.

If budget is a concern, two sets of SXTs driven by their harpoon amp makes for an amazing surf setup. The sound is very warm and generally less harsh on the high end than the HLCDs. Sound at 80' is rather weak but you've stated this isn't a concern.

If you can up the budget, two sets of x9s with a harpoon is the cat's meow.

The decision between two sets of SXTs v one set of x9 is less clear. I played around with this configuration. The x9 are clearly louder, but the two sets of SXTs gave a wider & warmer sound field to my ear. But the two sets of x9s are best.
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-31-2012, 5:33 AM Reply   
Thanks for the opinions.

The amp does 200wrms when bridged into 2 channels (should have mentioned that). Its an old school Rockford Power amp with their test cert saying it puts out 800wrms at 4ohms.

TheSqueekyWheel - in terms of the x9's are they quite overpowering to the people in the boat with the horn configuration? Do theySXT's also lack midrange due to their smaller size?

Thanks
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       08-31-2012, 7:32 AM Reply   
The mid-range on the SXTs is certainly not as powerful as the x9, but it's not bad when properly amped. I was very happy using 4 sxts with a harpoon on my last boat for surf only.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say the x9s are more overpowering in the boat if you keep the volume in check. Sure, crank them up for max volume at 80' and your crew will hate you.
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-31-2012, 8:49 AM Reply   
Bryon - I get this question all the time and I think in your case shipping and available amplifier power is going to factor into the equation. First off, both the SXT and the XM Exile speakers will have the full 360 degree rotational clamps with quick disconnect built right into them. They'll all come with the neoprene cases which are great for transportation or storage. You dont have to spend anymore money in that regard to upgrade. It's all in the box so to speak.

If your going to stick with 1 pair of speakers, your only viable choice between the two models is to go with the XM9. It's bigger sized speaker, has more mid bass, and can do double duty -- surf distance and wake distance. Many people do not know, but the XM9 is the only speaker on the market that has a switch built into the crossover that allows the user to set it up for a bit smoother response on the horn. You just remove the rear Exile logo with a screw driver (2 screws), flip it, and put the logo back on. The XM9 is going to give you the "live" sound as you'd hear from a club or concert. It's design is based on the same Horn technology.

The SXT speaker is aimed at the sound quality market. I love the way these speakers sound, but I will also be the first to tell you really should run 2 pair. They do not handle the same power the XM9's do. Once you double up, the results are very impressive as people have mentioned above.

I think the key in your situation is again, shipping cost, and amplifier driving them. It sounds like your current amp can drive a pair of XM9's decently. My recommendation would be to go with the XM9s

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (bwake)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-03-2012, 3:57 AM Reply   
Thanks Brian,

I have sent you a few emails re shipping costs.

In future, how many watts rms do the SXT's need?

Thanks
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-03-2012, 11:37 PM Reply   
50-150 Watts is the range. It's going to depend on how well you want to do it install wise. You can always turn an amplifier down a bit, but when you turn an amplifier up past what its intended for, things get clipped and compressed pretty fast. Then your left listening to distortion. And thats what takes out speakers. So we this in mind, I always say, get the biggest amp you can get your hands on and set up the speakers appropriately.

-Brian
Exile Audio