Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2009, 7:13 PM Reply   
Found out what happens when you cruise onto the trailer that's backed too far in a bit too fast. I backed the trailer in, my wife drove onto the trailer, so we were both at fault. Looks like we found a situation that PP doesn't handle!

So what is the course of action for this? Does the entire rub rail have to be replaced or can just a section be replaced? No fiberglass was damaged thankfully, but it is a pretty deep gash on both sides. Boat is a 2007 Outback. Hopefully the pics are sufficient.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
Replace the rub rail?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-08-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
You can buy just the insert and replace a section of that. Then it's less noticeable but you might want to replace the holder in that area and the whole insert.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-08-2009, 7:43 PM Reply   
I would buy a 8-10' section of gunnel from the dealer, splice it in even and get a whole new insert, about 60'. Hope you're really good at measuring and cutting straight! You might just want to have the dealer do it if you're not handy.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-08-2009, 7:54 PM Reply   
Taft, sounds like you have the right attitude about the mishap. S#!t happens! ...Hope your wife doesn't feel too bad!

I would replace the whole rub rail, but you could replace the rubber insert only, and somehow "fix" the channel it fits into.

My son came in "a little hot" once, and almost put the boat in the back of the truck! Luckily no damage or injuries, this is just how life's lessons are learned.
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2009, 8:02 PM Reply   
No complaints from me...she drives better than anyone else in our crew. Backs the boat in, loads the boat, you name it. After 11 years this is the first incident we've had so I consider myself a lucky guy.

I assume replacing the entire rub rail is the best option. I'm just wondering if I should go ahead and let the dealer do it rather than starting a project that ends up being one of those frustrating, time consuming, "this should be easy but it's killing me" type jobs.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-08-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
wow.. musta been commin in way tooo fast.. hey if you use a boat like ur supposed to and put alot of time on em things are gonna happen.. just the way it is... that happened to me last year but i put two holes thru the hull.. got it fixed and you couldnt ever tell it happened.. id let the dealer fix it. wash your hands of it and get back on the water asap. good luck !
Old     (roomservice)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-08-2009, 8:09 PM Reply   
Clearly a total loss, so sad, buy a new boat!

Yeah, that's the ticket, buy a whole new boat.

Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-08-2009, 8:13 PM Reply   
A friend of mine just replaced the whole rub rail on his 04 Moomba. Didn't look too hard to do.
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-08-2009, 8:15 PM Reply   
id just replace part of it no need to replace all of it. if you do u replace all of it you can keep the old stuff to fix more mishaps incase it happens again..
Old     (tl7)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-08-2009, 8:16 PM Reply   
G - I like how you think. Maybe I'll go with the old "you break it you by it" technique. Somehow I don't think it will work though.....especially when it's the same bank account
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       03-08-2009, 9:28 PM Reply   
Just for fun I would go to your local Metal Machine Shop with the boat and see if they could make a sweet Stainless steel piece that covers the whole thing. Rounded like the rest of the rub rail so it fits snug and have it polished. It could look cool and different. Apoxy and Stainless screws would hold it on. Might sound tacky, but it is amazing what a good machine shop can do, it might look pretty tough. Just to give you other ideas
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 10:14 AM Reply   
yep buy a new boat

hehe
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-09-2009, 10:44 AM Reply   
My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-09-2009, 10:49 AM Reply   
bubble gum should work
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-09-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Just replace it with a stainless rubrail. They're only about $300 for the whole thing and super easy to install if you know how to use a drill. Plus the stainless is more durable.
Old     (deltadave)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-09-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
Just trade it in on a WakeCraft with Dan Dulong! Splice in a new 8-10' gunnel rail and a whole new rubber insert. SS insert looks great, but it's expensive and if you scratch it then it rusts and you have to replace it. Plus if you tie up to your buddy's boat the screws can scratch his gelcoat if you're not careful with your tie up and fenders.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-09-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
IMO that Rub Rail is JUNK it needs to be replaced.
Ooo man that's not gonna be cheep! My guess to
replace the rub rail is $700+ dollars.

Depending on how your rub rail is attached it might be easy or a pain in the but. Some boats have the rub rail screwed in and bolted all the way around the boat. Yup that's right a screw then a bolt and then another screw all the way around.

Harold had the rub rail on his SAN replaced. $300 for the rub rail and $700 for labor.
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
I just replaced mine on my 04 Mobius, it wasn't quite as bad as yours, I got away with just doing the insert, just a little bit of damage to my inner piece. Paid $60 or so shipped to my door for the complete insert. Just pull the old one off, work the new one in and I went around the whole boat with a rubber mallet tapping it smooth. Took maybe 1.5 hours
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-09-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
btw: i believe the inner part on mine was in shorter sections so if you wanted it would probably be easy to just unscrew a section of the base and replace it to.
Old     (robsdune)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-10-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
I just replaced the rub rail on 2 boats. I might have some pieces that will fit that if you want to cut out a section and replace it. Doing the whole boat took 2 people about 3 hours on a warm day and 6 hours on a cold day... don't do it on a cold day...
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-10-2009, 1:17 PM Reply   
Take it to your dealer, have them call your insurance. Let the dealer and the insurance company decide, part or all? Then if there is a problem, two other people can warranty it or help pay for future issues?
My two cents..
Most boat repairs, should be left to quailfied marine techs. Support your local econ

G
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-10-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
depends on how clean you want the fix. replacing the insert is simple. replacing the main rail isn't bad but you'll need help. also depends on what type of rail you have.

if you have a rigid main rail, shipping will be rough. you might switch to a flexible rail that can be rolled up.

even if you replace only a section, you'll still have to buy a minimum of 20' or whatever their smallest section is...unless the dealer has some and can help. but, then you'll still be able to see the lines for the cuts.

depends on how clean you want it fixed. search youtube for 'taco marine' and you should find a how-to.

$700 for labor?...at $80/hr that's 2 guys and 4+ hours. 'are you using the whole fist, doc?'...ouch.