Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old     (moguls)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
Hi all - relatively new here and looking for an '01 to '04 used malibu wakesetter vlx.

Between '01 and '04 were there any major design changes other than aesthetic i'm missing. It looks like same hull for all and just a minor HP boost to the 04 engine. Essentially, do you think it's alright to just find the best value / well taken care of boat in this year range, or is there a reason to buy a newer one?

thanks!
fred
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-26-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Like anything else, there were subtle improvements every year. I think there might have been a change made to the wedge somewhere in there too. But, nothing major that I can think of. They definitely improved on the quality of vinyl in the later years.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-26-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
You are correct. I'd also look at used V-ride's. They are the same hull as the 04 vlx and could probably find one for the high 30's, which is probably what you'd pay for an 04vlx in good condition. Right now is a terrible time to buy given that the season is starting. Unless you can find someone who wants to unload a boat because they have another one or another one on order you'll be paying full retail or close to it.
Old    deltahoosier            05-26-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
01 did not have rear ballast
02 graphics change and rear ballast
I think 03 was pretty much same as 02
04 they added different rub rail and added Gorrilla fins that make the boat turn really nice even with the wedge down. The boat still would track well prior to the bigger fins but it would be sluggish compared the bigger fins for quick left right manuvers.
Old    deltahoosier            05-26-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
I think they changed the windshield in 04 as well.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-26-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I believe the 2001 does not have the wrap around seating either.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-26-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
Correct, '01 doesn't have the rear seat wrap around to behind the driver.
Old     (bobbym)      Join Date: Dec 2005       05-27-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
02 the winshield sits on top of the top deck, 01 it is notched into the deck a bit. I think the result is that 02+ has a bit deeper seating.
Old     (moguls)      Join Date: May 2007       05-27-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
This is fabulous info - thanks everyone for responding.
And Nu bu - you are right this is an AWFUL time to want to go buy a boat. Problem is if I wait til the right time i won't have a boat this summer so i'll be paying the summer '07 premium. HOpefully i'll forget about it when i'm throwing my shoulder out behind the boat trying to do things i'm not capable of!