Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 2:06 AM Reply   
i seen ppl on here tlkin that u shouldnt pay that much for a boat? well im loookin at a new supra 242,and the msrp is 80,000..so i shouldnt pay that much for it? well it will b more cause i want a motor upgrade,and a few more small things.. but the boat itself should b under that? never bought new b4..lookin for suggestions.thank u
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-03-2012, 2:25 AM Reply   
U should B able to get atleast 10-15 % off MSRP
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 2:40 AM Reply   
That would pay for most my upgrades that I want. That would b great!
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-03-2012, 4:48 AM Reply   
I special ordered my Moomba in 2008 and paid ~15% under sticker, but that included the boat show factory incentives.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 5:35 AM Reply   
Ya I missed the insensitives from the boat show. How long did it take u to get the boat after u ordered it?
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-03-2012, 5:52 AM Reply   
I ordered in March and took delivery end of May, but my dealer had already committed to order my boat, I just had to confirm the options, so it's like it was already "in line" so to speak.

We also did a factory tour, which was awesome - if you have the ability I would highly recommend it!
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       04-03-2012, 6:41 AM Reply   
Chris,

Which dealer are you working with? I will drop him a note for you.

Rick Tinker
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-03-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
Your deal is about to get 'Tinkered with'....I would jump on it!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Fortfremont marine. Fremont,wis. Great ppl! Been working with them a while. They sold me the 04 nautique. But now they handle supra. They have been a big help.this is a big investment for me,just tryin to do it right. Thank u!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 8:00 AM Reply   
Boat show specials are stupid. If you go into a dealer and say I want the boat show specials they aren't going to say no. Unless of course they are selling boats faster then they can keep them on the lot. Sounds like Rick is going to drop a line to your dealer about getting you those incentives or some sort of cash value.

By the way, 80k MSRP for a 242 sounds pretty good. I have to imagine the X45, SAN 230, BU 247 and the Tige RZ4 are all in 10k+ more then that actual selling price. If you can get that 242 with the options you want for 75ish I would say that is a lot of value for the dollar. I can't believe I just said 75k for a boat and a lot of value for the dollar in the same sentence. God boats are expensive. Comparitively that is a lot of boat for the money though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
Just noticed that Chris started the 242 vs 230 thread. I guess you decided on the 242? What were your reasons for going that way?
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-03-2012, 8:22 AM Reply   
If Supra and Moomba are made in the same factory, my friend leered his 2011 Moomba about this time last year (maybe a few weeks sooner) but from order to delivery was under 3 weeks. He was amazed at the delivery time.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thanks brett. Boats r crazy!! I would b really happy with 75 for the boat.all I really need is the bigger motor,heater,maybe snap on cover.....that's bout all I think..unless anyone has any more suggestion???
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
Brett,I'm thinkin bout goin with the supra,one thing is cause its what my local dealer sells. But price is a factor...I like what I can get the supra for...and its sounding better as we talk!! I do like how big it is. Also kinda concerned with how many ppl don't like the wake on the 230 at slow speeds....never heard that b4...I'm still in limbo on it but thinkin will b goin with supra.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 10:05 AM Reply   
I would consider the the snap bow cover but personally I am not a big fan of the full snap cover. I am not a big fan of snaps all down teh side of the boat though. Well, what is the upgraded motor on that boat? 400hp LY6 or whatever they call the version for Supra? What kind of price upgrade is that? $2500 or so? I see that the standard 340 or 350 hp motor in the supra's is just a green painted MCX that Mastercraft use to use. Or at least the intake manifold is the same. So let's say you start at 80k MSRP(Assuming that is with a trailer) add 2500 for the 400hp motor, plus 1500 in other options(heater, cover, etc...) you are at 84,000. 15% off of MSRP would be 71,400. 10% off is $75,600. I would start with offering them 71,400 including freight and prep. If they say no then go up to 73ish including freight and prep but at worst see if you can get for 75ish. I can't stand the idea of adding freight and prep after the fact. As far as I am concerned it is just a cost of doing business and should be including in the cost of the dealer and then marked up. One thing to note is now that you have Tinker involved he might be able to work something to lower the dealers acquisition cost so they might take a lower offer then normal.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
Question, polarbill,who is tinker?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
See the post above from Rick Tinker. He is the El Presidente of Skier's Choice I believe. Pretty cool that you have the president of the boat company you are looking at posting on the forum and it looks like trying to help you out. You should see if they can throw in a factory tour with the purchase. I bet it would be cool to see how your boat is built and who is building it.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
That's way cool. And to think someone like that looks at sights like this....and would take the time to help someone! One more reason to go with supra. Thank u for the input. I will keep u posted what happends. And I think ur right bout the cover. I travel a lot with the boat,normal cover b ok u think?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
I generally don't condone towing with a cover one but realize there are certain circumstances where you would want to. If you are I would look at evolutions covers(Cory is in the Seattle area and may or may not have your template), bakes marine(again in Seattle and may or may not have the template) or Rankin if they are still in business. All these places are in Seattle but make really nice, sunbrella covers. They don't really have straps, are heavy duty, breath and look great. No poles necessary usually to keep water off and fit real snug.

http://www.evolutioncovers.com/ I have only talked to Cory on the phone but from all accounts is a great guy who makes a fantastic towable cover
http://www.bakesonline.com/ Call Paul. I use to be roommates with one of Bakes Salesman and everybody there is absolutely stand up.
As for Rankin I just looked them up and couldnt' find them. Maybe out of business. They had the most templates and Cory actually use to work for them. They have been known for having pretty terrible customer service from what I have heard.

All these covers are probably going to be $800-$1500 but are sooooooo much better then a cheap sharkskin cover or one that is universal.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 12:37 PM Reply   
Well thank u for all the help. I will look into all this. Maybe just leave cover off the list then. What kind of boat u have?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 12:46 PM Reply   
none. I have had an 87 Nautique 2001, 2003(or 2004, can't remember) Calabria Cal-Air, 2000 Moomba Mobius V and have used a 1984 and 1983 Mastercraft extensively. I sold Mastercraft and Centurion for about a year right before the economy crapped itself.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2012, 1:31 PM Reply   
Chris
You can't go wrong with the Supra. Especially if you get the price you want and have a great dealer. Having guys like Rick Tinker on the site and seeing what people want and need really helps. Hey if you get that factory tour tell them they have to send me in with you as part of the deal!!! I have never been, but always wanted to. I have owned several Supra's and been very happy with them. Next step is the factory tour!!!! I am just so darn far away.
Good luck working a deal on that Supra and get us some pics if and when you make the step. You will be stoked!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 1:36 PM Reply   
If you work a deal are you going to custom order or buy one off their lot?
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
Brett, I will custom order. They only have the small boat on the lot. Can't remember what it is. But guess wouldn't care eather way. Just want the big one! So it looks like I'm ordering it. He was sayin it may take like 3 months to get???? Guess time will tell. I have a nautique 210 that I hope sells this weekend. Then its on!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 2:27 PM Reply   
Nice, what colors are you looking at going with?
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 2:30 PM Reply   
Diggs, so u think that the factory tour is really somethin that could happen?? Wow y am I being so blessed??? I don't even no where the factory is?? Well thank u for the assurance that I will b happy. I have a lot of confidence in my dealer that they won't steer me wrong. But I really like all he info from here. I'm sooooo glad I found this sight!!!
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2012, 2:35 PM Reply   
Hey Chris,
They do give factory tours for sure and heard they were cool. I am sure you will have to pay for your own trip to get there, but I bet they would give you a tour. They are in Tennessee. If I am ever in the area, I plan to go. Where are you?
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
Not sure. All I no is I like the color blue. Go on there website and u can play with it and match colors. But I like blue.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 3:06 PM Reply   
Diggs,I'm in Wisconsin. But I have family everywhere. If I could I would arrange it and def go! Maybe good winter vacation for me! Where u at?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-03-2012, 3:09 PM Reply   
I am in Oregon. Long way from the factory or I would have tried to go visit. Go for a tour next time you are there. I have heard great things about it and hope to do it some day!!!!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-03-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
My ideas. As you can see I like clean and classic.
Attached Images

Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-03-2012, 3:48 PM Reply   
Chris, congrats on your choice. Building a boat from scratch is fun, definitely image search your boat to see what others have done, as well as go to the supra forum.

As far as options, one to consider is the carpet saver mat that you can pull out and let dry and vacuum easily. It keeps your glued in carpet dry, clean, stain free, adds more cushion on your feet, and keeps the cab noise levels down a little bit more.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 4:04 PM Reply   
Diggs,ya that's a hike! Well if I end up goin I will post all the pics I can,if they let ne take them!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Brett,I like the second one,but the black looks killer too!! What u think bout black boats??
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 4:09 PM Reply   
Johnny,I will search that. Would b cool to c what others have done. I like the ones that say the worlds on it. And the snap in carpet I would have to agree. And it looks cool too.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-03-2012, 5:04 PM Reply   
Chris, I personally love the way supra does the Snap Cockpit and Tonneau covers on the 242. I remember you posted you live up north. The tonneau cover basically allows you to cover the open bow so that you get no wind keeping the family much warmer on those chilly days. Also keeps the bow dry if you are out in a rain storm and will allow anyone to craw under the cover with the windshield closed. I cant seem to find a picture of my boat with it installed but it make the boat look like a closed bow boat. Anyone have a picture???

Also consider getting the Worlds edition. That package will save you over $1000 if you were to order all the options separately.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-03-2012, 6:29 PM Reply   
How would I look at the worlds addition? I'm lookin on supra website. But I love the graphics on the worlds!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-03-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
OK I found a pic of the 242 Worlds Edition with the Cockpit and Tonneau cover. The covers can be removed separately. Great picture of the trailer and spare tire that comes with the Worlds Package
Attached Images

Last edited by redsupralaunch; 04-03-2012 at 7:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-03-2012, 7:18 PM Reply   
FYI I love my supra covers for covering the boat in the summer and they work great while trailering. They protect the inside from bugs pollen etc... while driving down the highway. The bad is they do not keep water out of inside because of the 2 piece design water flows down the windshield inside the bow cover.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-04-2012, 2:14 AM Reply   
now i love the graphics on that boat. how do i find priceing on that boat? its not on there website? or am i missing some thing? i would like a lil more blue but i do like that..i will have to ask my dealer. im just tryin to do most the research on my own so i no what i want.but killer pic,i do like the cover. i will have to give the cover more thought on which one i would want.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-04-2012, 2:18 AM Reply   
found the world add. the msrp is 88,080.00...but that comes with almost everything. would just want the motor upgrade yet! so what u think i would offer for that???
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-04-2012, 2:44 AM Reply   
May as well get worlds! It's the same price just adding the motor,heater and sun cover!! Looks like worlds u get much more for ur buck!
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-04-2012, 6:49 AM Reply   
Is that type of cover not common? I have basically the same thing on my 2006 Centurion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-04-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Chris
Yeah just ask your dealer to order you the Worlds Edition and it will come with all the options you will need. Maybe a motor grade on top of that if you want that. Sweet boat.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       04-04-2012, 7:35 AM Reply   
I don't no tom that its not common,just tryin to figure out which one would b best for me. How u lime urz?