Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-22-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
Anyone familiar with differences? Significant upgrade or should I stick with my first generation B-Side?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-22-2010, 1:06 PM Reply   
From a quick search, it looks like the difference between the '09 (141) and '10 (140) boards is mid width and rocker. They made it wider with a bigger rocker in 2010, which would make you ride higher in the water, and give it more pop. Rocker is still a blended three stage (or is it aggresive continuous? or a hybrid rocker?) so it wont be a super aggresive pop, but that wouldnt change between model years.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-22-2010, 2:46 PM Reply   
I rode the old b-side for a few seasons. And rode the new b-side for a few weeks this season. The new B-side is WAY better. The new B-side has much less drag in my opinion. Its smoother in the flat and definitely turns better. Feel MUCH better on the water. I felt like it released much better of the wake too. Very easy to spin. Definitely feel like I went higher off the wake than the old B-side.

I thought that the board felt a little slick on landings. You could land a little off and be fine, but definitely needed to be prepared for the board to slide around when you do.

I heard Jimmys new board is AWESOME and it might be worth checking out as well, if you are coming from the b-side.

Hope this helps.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-22-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
From what I remember, the 2010/2011 is a complete re-design and not just a tweak of the original board. They are very different.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-22-2010, 3:48 PM Reply   
I agree with everything Drew said. I came from an 08 that I broke and just received the 2010 model a couple weeks ago. The new board shape is defenitly a looser board which I personally like but is quite a noticable difference then the older shape. The new shape overall just feels a lot faster on the water as well. I'd recommend this board if you do like a board that is a bit loose.
Old    mojo            10-22-2010, 4:22 PM Reply   
i've heard nothing but good things about the new b-side.
Old     (hyperlite)      Join Date: May 2009       10-25-2010, 4:49 AM Reply   
they do not even compare. JD and Butch started from scratch on this one. I would give it a try for sure. the new shape does have a overall looser feel. almost like a snowboard. the raised section in the middle of the board adds a lot of snap to the board. this also reduces the swing weight. the new fins are sweet. The bottom shape is great too. theres a lot less going on with this one so it sits higher in the water and it hauls ass. the rocker line is new as well. has tons of pop, and doesnt stick on landings. definately worth a try
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-25-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Thanks to all for the input. It's a warranty issue with mine, so I wanted to get some input before destroying the old board. A little looser and a little more pop sounds great, so I will be destroying the old one once I am done riding for the season. Hey, change is good, right?

I always thought the old B-Side was pretty fast (& have been told I ride fast), but I think that was probably more a function of the "turn and burn" style I am trying to break out of that carries over from my upbringing as a slalom skier.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       10-25-2010, 10:51 AM Reply   
Ya sorry, I should have mentioned that my quick search involved looking at the very limited board specs from Hyperlite. No actual experience with the board.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-26-2010, 8:34 AM Reply   
It's a warranty issue with mine, so I wanted to get some input before destroying the old board

What kind of warranty issue? Is there a probelm with the board now?
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-26-2010, 9:09 AM Reply   
The outer shell is peeling away from the core (bubbling) in a couple of spots along the edge. I can still ride it, but not for long (& I assume water will eventually leak in). Hyperlite has been great about honoring the warranty though. I have had very good experience with them on warranty issues.
Old     (jdoyle25)      Join Date: Nov 2009       10-26-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Steve, if your board isn't too bad..let me get it or something..one mans trash is anthers treasure lol...I need a cable board,hit me up if its something you might be down to do.
Old     (xmcmillenx)      Join Date: May 2006       10-27-2010, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidaddy View Post
The outer shell is peeling away from the core (bubbling) in a couple of spots along the edge. I can still ride it, but not for long (& I assume water will eventually leak in). Hyperlite has been great about honoring the warranty though. I have had very good experience with them on warranty issues.
If you are looking for something in particular in a new board, post it up. I am sure people can help with what you are looking for.
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       10-28-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Jordan: Be happy to hook you up (or frankly keep it as a backup for me), but they make you destroy the old board before they give you a new one under warranty.

Drew: Was thinking about something looser without a lot in the middle, like perhaps a Hyperlite Murray, Ronix One or Ibex or CWB Transcend (I think). I like doing surface stuff at the end of a ride and like a board that requires you to stay on edge. Going to see how this new B-Side rides, but will audition some new ones next Spring. I need more pop/hang time too, but right now I think my problem is more technique than equipment.